brycenesbitt
Delivery Date: 01 Feb 2016

Disabling CarWings/2G cellular modem now that it's useless

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:47 pm

Now that the cellular radio in the leaf is useless, is there a way to disable it?
Note that a radio constantly hunting for a non-existent 2G signal will use more battery power, and more radio transactions, than one that's properly registered. Can we kill the thing?

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Re: Disabling CarWings/2G cellular modem now that it's useless

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:37 am

brycenesbitt wrote:Now that the cellular radio in the leaf is useless, is there a way to disable it?
Note that a radio constantly hunting for a non-existent 2G signal will use more battery power, and more radio transactions, than one that's properly registered. Can we kill the thing?

The power use will likely be minimal. You could locate the modem under the dash, and unplug the connecting cable. The software that tells the modem to try and access the Nissan computers is embedded in the NAV system, so you're stuck with that indefinitely. Depending on how the software was coded, you may or may not get a regular error message with the modem disconnected.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

brycenesbitt

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:53 pm

I'd pay good money to get the thing to stop asking the stupid question each time. It's silly among other things: was I giving permission for that drive? For all time? If I always answer "no", but one day my kid presses "yes", what does that do? Any one have pictures of pulling the modem's serial/power cables?

Note: it does appear that even with 2G gone, the network time is still setting the clock. It has some value if the clock setting keeps working...

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:41 am

brycenesbitt wrote:I'd pay good money to get the thing to stop asking the stupid question each time. It's silly among other things: was I giving permission for that drive? For all time? If I always answer "no", but one day my kid presses "yes", what does that do? Any one have pictures of pulling the modem's serial/power cables?

Note: it does appear that even with 2G gone, the network time is still setting the clock. It has some value if the clock setting keeps working...

That's another software coding in the NAV that you're stuck with. Answering Yes is just giving permission to share Telematics data with Nissan. It was changed for 2013 forward, so that it only asks once a month.

The time signal can be accessed from the cellular system, even without an active account. I can't remember the vendor, but I configured one of these boxes several years ago to act as a network time server. It is possible that you are getting time sync from the T-Mobile 2G signal.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:52 am

brycenesbitt wrote:Note: it does appear that even with 2G gone, the network time is still setting the clock. It has some value if the clock setting keeps working...

It might be coming from GPS. By definition, each GPS satellite has an atomic clock on-board. I'd imagine the signals from those satellites are in GMT though.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

brycenesbitt

Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:03 pm

cwerdna wrote:It might be coming from GPS. By definition, each GPS satellite has an atomic clock on-board. I'd imagine the signals from those satellites are in GMT though.

I digress: GPS time is now ahead of UTC by 17 seconds, as it ignores leap seconds. All uses of GPS can covert this to a national time zone. The question is: if the Leaf is using GPS time, what is it using for DST and TimeZone configuration?

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:25 am

brycenesbitt wrote: All uses of GPS can covert this to a national time zone. The question is: if the Leaf is using GPS time, what is it using for DST and TimeZone configuration?

On my nav system, under Menu > Settings > Others > Clock, there are settings for daylight savings time on/off and time zone.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

lionsfan54
Delivery Date: 22 Jun 2015

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:17 am

Or pay your dealer $200 and upgrade to the 3G?

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:01 am

I was hoping there was something useful in this thread for how to disable the thing from just trying to call home -- not because it would save power, but simply so that it doesn't keep trying. I haven't looked yet.

That said, just an hour ago I got a text saying my car had finished charging. So at least here in eastern MA the AT&T 2G network is still live (as of Dec 30).
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:53 pm

It is dead in Washington State. This AM "update stations" worked, at noon it didn't. I suspect it's gone and it's never coming back... unless I spring for $200.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”