Disabling CarWings/2G cellular modem now that it's useless

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brycenesbitt

Now that the cellular radio in the leaf is useless, is there a way to disable it?
Note that a radio constantly hunting for a non-existent 2G signal will use more battery power, and more radio transactions, than one that's properly registered. Can we kill the thing?

brycenesbitt said:
Now that the cellular radio in the leaf is useless, is there a way to disable it?
Note that a radio constantly hunting for a non-existent 2G signal will use more battery power, and more radio transactions, than one that's properly registered. Can we kill the thing?

The power use will likely be minimal. You could locate the modem under the dash, and unplug the connecting cable. The software that tells the modem to try and access the Nissan computers is embedded in the NAV system, so you're stuck with that indefinitely. Depending on how the software was coded, you may or may not get a regular error message with the modem disconnected.

I'd pay good money to get the thing to stop asking the stupid question each time. It's silly among other things: was I giving permission for that drive? For all time? If I always answer "no", but one day my kid presses "yes", what does that do? Any one have pictures of pulling the modem's serial/power cables?

Note: it does appear that even with 2G gone, the network time is still setting the clock. It has some value if the clock setting keeps working...

brycenesbitt said:
I'd pay good money to get the thing to stop asking the stupid question each time. It's silly among other things: was I giving permission for that drive? For all time? If I always answer "no", but one day my kid presses "yes", what does that do? Any one have pictures of pulling the modem's serial/power cables?

Note: it does appear that even with 2G gone, the network time is still setting the clock. It has some value if the clock setting keeps working...

That's another software coding in the NAV that you're stuck with. Answering Yes is just giving permission to share Telematics data with Nissan. It was changed for 2013 forward, so that it only asks once a month.

The time signal can be accessed from the cellular system, even without an active account. I can't remember the vendor, but I configured one of these boxes several years ago to act as a network time server. It is possible that you are getting time sync from the T-Mobile 2G signal.

brycenesbitt said:
It might be coming from GPS. By definition, each GPS satellite has an atomic clock on-board. I'd imagine the signals from those satellites are in GMT though.

cwerdna said:
It might be coming from GPS. By definition, each GPS satellite has an atomic clock on-board. I'd imagine the signals from those satellites are in GMT though.

I digress: GPS time is now ahead of UTC by 17 seconds, as it ignores leap seconds. All uses of GPS can covert this to a national time zone. The question is: if the Leaf is using GPS time, what is it using for DST and TimeZone configuration?

brycenesbitt said:
All uses of GPS can covert this to a national time zone. The question is: if the Leaf is using GPS time, what is it using for DST and TimeZone configuration?
On my nav system, under Menu > Settings > Others > Clock, there are settings for daylight savings time on/off and time zone.

I was hoping there was something useful in this thread for how to disable the thing from just trying to call home -- not because it would save power, but simply so that it doesn't keep trying. I haven't looked yet.

That said, just an hour ago I got a text saying my car had finished charging. So at least here in eastern MA the AT&T 2G network is still live (as of Dec 30).

It is dead in Washington State. This AM "update stations" worked, at noon it didn't. I suspect it's gone and it's never coming back... unless I spring for $200.

Anyone have any idea where the modem is located and what it looks like. Or a service manual reference?

baustin said:
brycenesbitt said:

The power use will likely be minimal. You could locate the modem under the dash, and unplug the connecting cable. The software that tells the modem to try and access the Nissan computers is embedded in the NAV system, so you're stuck with that indefinitely. Depending on how the software was coded, you may or may not get a regular error message with the modem disconnected.

JimSouCal said:
Anyone have any idea where the modem is located and what it looks like. Or a service manual reference?
I think I saw the unit when I had the glove boxed removed to change the cabin air filter.

I saw one black box closer to the right side that had a Continental logo and had an IMEI on it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Mobile_Station_Equipment_Identity makes sense since AT&T uses GSM. It did look like http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=148255#p148255 with the multiple covers. I don't remember if mine had the white dot for the cover he labeled SIM (for Subscriber Identity Module).

Anyone going to lead (risking the bleed) and simply unplug? I lack the boldness, I'm more of a follower... :)

cwerdna said:
JimSouCal said:
I think I saw the unit when I had the glove boxed removed to change the cabin air filter.

I saw one black box closer to the right side that had a Continental logo and had an IMEI on it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Mobile_Station_Equipment_Identity makes sense since AT&T uses GSM. It did look like http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=148255#p148255 with the multiple covers. I don't remember if mine had the white dot for the cover he labeled SIM (for Subscriber Identity Module).

When I spoke with Nissan yesterday, they told me there was an open service campaign (free) to disable the radio 2G units - for security I'd imagine.

sandeen said:
When I spoke with Nissan yesterday, they told me there was an open service campaign (free) to disable the radio 2G units - for security I'd imagine.
When I asked Nissan about any recalls for my 2011 Japan built Leaf they called back and said the only open recall on my VIN was to disable the TCU unit for security reasons. This was two days ago.

I know there is a setting in the TCU to turn if off as some time in the past mine got disabled (probably due to my scanning the CAN bus looking for things to control) and I had to re-enable it. At the time I did not thing it worth putting the enable/disable feature in LeafSpy Pro.

Earlier this year I was selling my 2011 SL Leaf to friend who was not interested in upgrading the telematics. I called Nissan Leaf help line to ask how to disconnect with the idea it might help reduce the load/drain on the 12 volt battery. They didn't have a good answer except to check with the dealer. Dealer did not have a good response either.

Interesting to now hear there is a technical bulletin (open service campaign?) on this.

Please let us know how this goes if anyone has it done at a dealer and what the bulletin number is.

Nissan EV chat told me it was P7332

Haven't been able to find any details online.
Edit: oh, here we go:
Subject: CP 2011-2015 LEAF; 2G Telematics Hardware Deactivation - Service Campaign
Summary of NTB17077:
INTRODUCTION Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign (in the U.S. ONLY) on certain specific 2011-2015 LEAF vehicles equipped with 2G Telematics Hardware to disable the 2G Telematics Control Unit (TCU). The 2G cellular service is no longer active in the United States and the subject TCUs are no longer connected to telematics services (Nissan Connect EVTM) and no longer perform any function in the affected vehicles. This campaign is being performed out of abundance of caution to help prevent potential cybersecurity issues.

• Applied vehicles equipped with the 2G Telematics Control Unit (TCU) that enter the service department for any reason should have the subject TCU deactivated. This campaign will be performed at no charge to the customer for parts or labor.
  • For customers interested in the TCU update as opposed to deactivation, please refer to NTB17-015.
IDENTIFICATION NUMBER Nissan has assigned identification number P7332 to this campaign. This number must appear on all communications and documentation of any nature dealing with this campaign. Please see this bulletin for further details.

Not so much worth the bother? But if it gets rid of the nag notice at every startup, might be worth a dealer trip... Anyone get the 2G disabled via the dealer and can report the nag goes or stays?

JimSouCal said:
Not so much worth the bother? But if it gets rid of the nag notice at every startup, might be worth a dealer trip... Anyone get the 2G disabled via the dealer and can report the nag goes or stays?

Got mine disabled today and I was disappointed that the nag was still there.

Back