Nissan of Cool Springs, Franklin, TN, Issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWO4Mann

Leaf Supporting Member
I've attempted to contact them for several weeks by telephone. The operator answers with an abrupt "Nissan" (unlike before which was a "Welcome to Nissan of Cool Springs, How May I Direct Your Call?") and when I ask for Service or Parts, clicks me onto the requested extension number. Then I receive a message that their mailbox of full and not accepting calls, then disconnects. When calling back and explaining to the operator, she says "... don't know anything about 'dat" and attempts to reconnect me with same results.

So, I went to the local Yelp web site and did an inquiry about Nissan of Cool Springs. it appears that the past few months have a long stream of negative comments and very low ratings. Reading the comments made by the posters made me wonder "what the heck is going on down there?"

I bought my Leaf new in December 2011 and have been in every year for the yearly inspection. Only work done was a set of new wiper blades, front and back, and the cabin filter. Everything was copacetic last year, the usual efficient and polite service folks and a short wait for my vehicle.

Now this year, December 15th up to this posting date, is a different story: their service appointment web page does not work; the phone system evidently is overloaded or not working.

My driver's window switch failed and after checking on the problem here, finding the solution, I will get the part (window switch p/n 25401-3NA0B) and repair that problem. I am going down there to the parts department and see what's up with ordering a new switch.

I'm curious to know if anyone here has experienced similar difficulties? My initial impression is that there has been a drastic change in management style, some disgruntled employees, perhaps a turn-over or loss of more experienced people. Worst case scenario would be an impending financial failure, of which the aforementioned are definite early indicators.

Regards to the Group.

Dave

Good to hear you were able to take care of it yourself. The local dealership here, McLarty Nissan, used to be NorthPoint Nissan, and ever since McLarty bought the dealership, the service department has gone to pot.

I installed the new switch, easy peasy in 5 minutes. After I pulled the old one out, I popped the bottom off and found the printed circuit board. The board and parts are from APLS, a Japanese electronic manufacturer. The actual switch which controls the driver's window is a variable resistor slide in a horizontal mount. It is spot soldered to the board with two plastic retaining pins. I found an identical slider on the Martin P. Jones (http://www.mpja.com) electronics web site. $1.99 later and a little work with my surface mount soldering system and I now have a replacement window switch panel as a back up. Voila!

Cheers!

Dave

FYI:

Common parts like switches, etc. are essentially common across all Nissan Vehicles. Used Drivers Door switches start can be found on eBay for under $60 and new ones for $90.

Update: 42,500 miles now. Made appointment by phone, no problems this time from phone system. Arrived at 0830, and was checked in and assisted by "RJ". He told me only one LEAF guy there today, other guy is in a class. Car might be returned tomorrow. He went over initial charges, $254.00. I mentioned last year the yearly checkup was $89.00. No comments other than that's the new charge. I mentioned that parking brake occasionally hangs when being released. They'll check that (extra charge, I'm sure). Dealers got to make a profit somehow since they lose their shirts on LEAF maintenance otherwise.

I'll post follow up when car is returned in next day or so (I'm betting since tomorrow is Friday, they'll have the car all weekend and I won't see it until Monday.

Cheers for now!

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
Update: 42,500 miles now. Made appointment by phone, no problems this time from phone system. Arrived at 0830, and was checked in and assisted by "RJ". He told me only one LEAF guy there today, other guy is in a class. Car might be returned tomorrow. He went over initial charges, $254.00. I mentioned last year the yearly checkup was $89.00. No comments other than that's the new charge. I mentioned that parking brake occasionally hangs when being released. They'll check that (extra charge, I'm sure). Dealers got to make a profit somehow since they lose their shirts on LEAF maintenance otherwise.

I'll post follow up when car is returned in next day or so (I'm betting since tomorrow is Friday, they'll have the car all weekend and I won't see it until Monday.

Cheers for now!

Dave

What is the yearly checkup and what do they even do? I thought the Leaf is basically maintenance free (except for failures). Based on your horror stories described by the dealer, I'd probably never go back. I certainly wouldn't pay them $254 to just look it over. Is there something I'm missing?

I use a 3rd party repair shop for all of my vehicles. They can do most of the Leaf repairs, except for the bits that involve HV and programming the car. Might be good to look into. That said, 42k miles and 7 years old is a young car, IMO. I drive most of my cars to 180-200k miles and they're usually 15 years old when I finally get rid of them.

You're correct that, except for dramatic failures, the LEAF if relatively maintenance free. However there is still maintenance to be performed. In the Army we called it "PMCS", as an acronym for Preventative Maintenance. I do all common PMCS on my vehicles. Lube sliding metal joints, inspecting for leaks, changing cabin filter, waxing, washing, checking pressure levels, testing the coolant with fills as needed. When one of the coolant pumps failed I asked for advice here. After pondering the dealer cost quotation of $1,265, I did the job myself. Searched and found a pump at local salvage yard which has goodly supply of LEAF parts. The job required about three hours of my time plus several beers. Basically it was use corks to keep the hoses from leaking after detaching the offending pump. Cost of pump: $269. Having the entire LEAF work shop manual in PDF on my laptop was beneficial.

The raison d'etre for going to the Stealer was to preserve the warranty -- such as it is. I have absolutely no faith or trust in any car dealer or workshop -- caveat emptor. Stealers must make money somehow, that's the capitalistic imperialistic wall-street running dog puppet-roader way. But I digress.

Cheers,

Dave

Back