Are We having FUN yet? (Was Are You having FUN yet?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer23

I posted some of this in the new owners' thread, and thanks to those who responded, but it got buried by other more timely topics. I think it might deserve its own thread. Here's why I think that it's not a frivolous idea.

I know that most of the new owners are focused on learning how the LEAF will work for their commutes, how best to set their cars for charging and how often to charge, etc, and that is very appropriate. I also realize that the new owners are all new, obviously, so nobody may have anything real to say for a few more weeks. But here are some questions.

- Is the LEAF fun to drive in the way other cars have been for you?

- Has anyone taken their LEAF on their favorite twisty road yet, assuming at least one of the new owners appreciates twisty roads? I'm not talking about dangerous driving here or the profligate waste of energy resources, just enjoying a car's handling attributes, and the way it accelerates out of a corner.

- For current or former Prius owners among the new LEAF owners, is the LEAF more involving to drive than the Prius, or is it pretty similar in terms of road feel and handling?

- Are you having fun mainly because the LEAF is a new car, which is a fun experience for everyone?

- Are the electronics and the connectedness of the LEAF what makes it fun for you?

- Is it the fact that this is a real EV and one of the first on the market that is fun for you? Are you having fun because you are one of the first to own one and because it makes you special among your friends and neighbors, or that it gives you a chance to explain the EV concept and lifestyle with others?

- What are some other ways that you are finding the LEAF to be fun?

A good thread, and one I intended to start myself. Great minds, etc.....

At the moment I've decided I'm NOT having a lot of fun with my car. This is mostly because I'm conducting these "experiments" for the greater good. Now that's not to say THAT'S not a kind of fun, but not the kind of fun I'm used to having in a car - more the kind of fun I'm used to having in a computer room. And eventually (actually pretty soon, quite possibly after today), I need to get away from that kind of stuff and back to the enjoyment of driving.

Being a bit of a geek, I'm finding the electronics very enjoyable, but the car isn't as much fun to drive as my 5-speed Focus. But then my automatic Focus isn't as much fun to drive as my 5-speed Focus either - there is something about slamming through those gears as you tear down a road that just can't be duplicated in a car where no gear changes are necessary.

I'm learning to like ECO mode. It suits it's purpose well, and BOY, when you switch to D, the car goes from economy-based econobox to something more like my BMW. :mrgreen: I just wish I had mroe play time with the car instead of commute time!! :twisted:

Jimmydreams said:
I'm learning to like ECO mode. It suits it's purpose well, and BOY, when you switch to D, the car goes from economy-based econobox to something more like my BMW.
I would love to know more about this. Originally Mark Perry stated that Eco mode would put more resistance on the "A" pedal, but that there would be no software change and you could still get full power out of the car. That would mean that whether you floor it in Eco or D mode, the car would take off the same. I have seen a couple of comments now that have made it sound like this is not the case and that Eco mode does have some additional changes. I didn't get enough time to play with Eco mode in my test drive - so any info on this would be appreciated.

mwalsh said:
Being a bit of a geek, I'm finding the electronics very enjoyable, but the car isn't as much fun to drive as my 5-speed Focus. But then my automatic Focus isn't as much fun to drive as my 5-speed Focus either - there is something about slamming through those gears as you tear down a road that just can't be duplicated in a car where no gear changes are necessary.

Actually, during my test drive in Anaheim I had a blast with the car changing from Eco to Normal. Start driving in Eco as you take a turn and then switch into Normal and get pushed back into your seat as you drive. Now THAT was fun. :) Almost like switching a gear. Sort of. But it still was a blast. :)

Boomer23 said:
Yes, and compared to cars in its category (small family cars), I would say that it's more fun.

Boomer23 said:
- Has anyone taken their LEAF on their favorite twisty road yet, assuming at least one of the new owners appreciates twisty roads? I'm not talking about dangerous driving here or the profligate waste of energy resources, just enjoying a car's handling attributes, and the way it accelerates out of a corner.
Not really, but I may consider changing my route home tonight to try this out, I'm sure the car will do fine.

Boomer23 said:
- For current or former Prius owners among the new LEAF owners, is the LEAF more involving to drive than the Prius, or is it pretty similar in terms of road feel and handling?
Can't help here. A prius owner who drove as a passenger told me that he was really surprised by the pick up of the LEAF compared to the Prius in electric mode.

Boomer23 said:
- Are you having fun mainly because the LEAF is a new car, which is a fun experience for everyone?
Maybe a little bit, but that would only account for a small %age.

Boomer23 said:
- Are the electronics and the connectedness of the LEAF what makes it fun for you?
No, I find these are more a source of comfort (eg. the bluetooth connection to my iPhone)

Boomer23 said:
- Is it the fact that this is a real EV and one of the first on the market that is fun for you? Are you having fun because you are one of the first to own one and because it makes you special among your friends and neighbors, or that it gives you a chance to explain the EV concept and lifestyle with others?
This is fun as well, but it doesn't make the car any more fun. The car is fun to drive !

Boomer23 said:
My wife and I went home following each other one night, and she had to stop at a gas station ... That was fun ! Her car will usually only take like 8 gallons, but it was enough for me to complain about how expensive gas is, how it smells really bad, how I've driven 500 miles for $6 so far ... all that fairly loud while some guy was filling up his SUV :D

JasonT said:
Jimmydreams said:
I'm learning to like ECO mode. It suits it's purpose well, and BOY, when you switch to D, the car goes from economy-based econobox to something more like my BMW.
I would love to know more about this. Originally Mark Perry stated that Eco mode would put more resistance on the "A" pedal, but that there would be no software change and you could still get full power out of the car. That would mean that whether you floor it in Eco or D mode, the car would take off the same. I have seen a couple of comments now that have made it sound like this is not the case and that Eco mode does have some additional changes. I didn't get enough time to play with Eco mode in my test drive - so any info on this would be appreciated.

Jason...

Yes, full throttle is there even in ECO mode. Here's the breakdown:

The energy-used meter goes (IIRC) up to 80kW. The "go pedal" has 6 inches of throw (approx) from fully off to foot-down-plastered-against-the-carpet.

In regular D, normal "fairly quick" accelleration will use 40-60 kW on the energy meter, and use about 2-3 inches of "go pedal". In D, during normal driving, you'll get used to using 2-3 inches of "go pedal".

In ECO mode, you'll use 3-4 inches of "go pedal" to get 20-30 kW on the energy meter. You really have to wait for the speed to come to you, so to speak, in ECO mode. If you use ECO mode enough, you will learn to live with about 4 inches of "go pedal" use and get that slow increase in speed. But go back to D, and that 4 inches will feel like you're in the space shuttle at lift-off. Same throw, MUCH different response.

ECO mode sucks until you get used to it. Then it's simply another mode. But once you get used to ECO, switch back to D and it feels like a different car!! :mrgreen:

+1
to say the same thing differently, because the response curve is different between ECO and normal, the same position on the pedal will result in much more acceleration in normal. When you switch, you really feel the kick !

gudy said:
+1
to say the same thing differently, because the response curve is different between ECO and normal, the same position on the pedal will result in much more acceleration in normal. When you switch, you really feel the kick !

Have you turned off the traction control? If so will the car accelerate faster at full throttle?

Thanks

gudy said:
+1

Yep. I am Mr. Verbose!! :mrgreen:

Boomer23 said:

I have taken it on one of my favorite drives and while it feels very "planted" and handles the curves nicely in ECO mode, it's not gonna replace driving a Porsche with the top down when it's 70 deg outside in January.

But... getting into, starting and hearing a regular gas car after driving the LEAF for a few days is a real buzz kill. It really feels like I just cranked up a wood-fired steam engine, even if it's a 2.5L Turbocharged Volvo... it just feels sooo 20th century.

Plus, love the bluetooth, audio etc. I mean having a conversation on the phone, walking to the car, getting in and having the conversation just seamlessly switch to the car audio; that's sweet. I realize this is not an EV feature, but fun just the same.

In Feb, I go back to the eBike and my wife gets the LEAF for her 20 mi commute. So far she isn't that fired up about it.
She hasn't driven it yet. I predict her tune will change.

sparky said:
But... getting into, starting and hearing a regular gas car after driving the LEAF for a few days is a real buzz kill. It really feels like I just cranked up a wood-fired steam engine, even if it's a 2.5L Turbocharged Volvo... it just feels sooo 20th century.

OMG! We took the one Focus out to dinner on Wednesday night. I got home in the LEAF with 31 miles of range left and had no time to put a bit of charge back (the restaurant was a teasing 35 miles away). It was a positively horrifying experience, with the whole car shaking and sounding like an old school diesel London Taxi.

mwalsh said:
sparky said:

OMG! We took the one Focus out to dinner on Wednesday night. I got home in the LEAF with 31 miles of range left and had no time to put a bit of charge back (the restaurant was a teasing 35 miles away). It was a positively horrifying experience, with the whole car shaking and sounding like an old school diesel London Taxi.

I had to drive my BMW to the store because of my Turtle Mode test...I love the acceleration in that car but the noise, fumes, etc. made me long for my Leaf. It's almost like I can feel the gas burning, the oil churning and the 'archaicness' of the engine. :evil:

TODAY, on the other hand, will be the FIRST day I'll be able to drive me Leaf for pleasure/errands/etc. I've been commuting to work every day since I picked it up a week ago!! :| I'm looking forward to a nice local drive! :mrgreen:

So, I ended up driving it on a few fairly windy roads over the last 2 days, and the car is a lot of fun !
Windy roads > fairly slow driving > you have a lot of torque available. As has been said before, the tires are going to be the limiting factor for the ones who really want to have fun.
The range goes down quite fast when you go uphill (and drive at 50-60 mph), and I ended up at my destination with 12 miles left (I had used the car to go to the farmer's market before), with about 18 miles back to my home. I wasn't even stressed about it, cause I knew I'd be going downhill for the way back home (and I ended back home with 23 miles left).

Have you ever turned the traction control off? If so does the car accelerate faster off the line at full throttle.

We must have very different BMWs! The beautiful sound of a BMW 6 winding through the gears is pure music to my ears! Noise, fumes? What BMW are you driving?! Unless I wind it out to red-line, the only noise I hear in mine at cruise is tires... And the emissions test numbers on mine always come back at basically zero across the board.

Jimmydreams said:
I had to drive my BMW to the store because of my Turtle Mode test...I love the acceleration in that car but the noise, fumes, etc. made me long for my Leaf. It's almost like I can feel the gas burning, the oil churning and the 'archaicness' of the engine.

mogur said:
We must have very different BMWs! The beautiful sound of a BMW 6 winding through the gears is pure music to my ears! Noise, fumes? What BMW are you driving?! Unless I wind it out to red-line, the only noise I hear in mine at cruise is tires... And the emissions test numbers on mine always come back at basically zero across the board.

Jimmydreams said:
I had to drive my BMW to the store because of my Turtle Mode test...I love the acceleration in that car but the noise, fumes, etc. made me long for my Leaf. It's almost like I can feel the gas burning, the oil churning and the 'archaicness' of the engine.

I have a 330 convertible with the ZHP package. The muffler on it gives it a very deep, throaty voice. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the car, but premium gas, tires, brakes (the brake DUST!)....after driving my Leaf for a week, I got VERY used to the quiet comfort. My BMW has M3 suspension, so it's a pretty stiff ride. For fun driving, BMW, no question. For my commute, the Leaf, hands down. :mrgreen:

I think the car is a blast! The most fun thing for me is checking the worldwide rankings on Carwings on-line each night. I am still #1 on miles driven, #1 on eco trees and #2 on regen.
It is fun to see all of the other drivers and keep seeing new ones added to the list each day. (I think there are 38 on there as of now). I drove my Mercedes CLK convertible to work the other day (since we are having 80+ degree weather right now) and it felt heavy and slow to respond compared to the Leaf, I also had to stop at the gas station to fill up. I hate that!!

Back