braking

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthTexas

I have a 2011. Used only around town due to battery limitations. (Will show 68 miles fully charged but that will quickly down to 40 by the time I get around the block). I pretty much drive in Eco, When braking at slow speed or as I get down to a slow speed they start grabbing. Could the rotors warped or is it the regenerative braking? Braking is fine at higher speeds.

I seem to recall something about a recall for grabby brakes.
Has it always done this or started doing it recently?
Do you have the problem with very gentle braking? Very gentle braking should be only regen, so if it is grabby with very gentle braking, it could be a software bug.
Bob

Three things you can do:
1. If you have not had the braking recall done, take it in and have it done. It's a software update, should be a quick procedure and free.

2. You can do a brake pedal recalibration. I forget the exact procedure but from memory this is how it goes: with the car in ready to drive mode come to a complete stop. Press the TCS Off button to turn of traction control, hold the brake pedal "hard" for 30 seconds. After that the pedal will be recalibrated.

3. A weak 12v battery can cause grabby brakes at slow speeds due to it having trouble maintaining voltage without the DC-DC converter, which takes a second or two to ramp up when the brake pedal is first applied.

How many battery capacity bars do you have?

Before I had my degraded battery replaced under warranty I noticed grabby brake performance and had very little available regeneration (particularly above 40MPH). With the new battery both brake performance and regeneration is greatly improved. I suspect that the braking/regen software was not written to account for a degraded battery, so when we have degraded batteries the performance is poorly tuned.

The reset that VitaminJ refers to requires you to:
1. Stop in a safe place
2. Turn off traction control
3. Creep the car forward a couple of feet and then stop
4. Depress the brake pedal fully and hold it for 30 seconds
5. Release brake pedal
6. Turn on traction control

A number of us have found that this seems to result in 'less grabby' braking performance, presumably by re-calibrating some form of brake pedal position sensor . The effect is only temporary (perhaps lasting a month, depending on your driving habits and the number of miles you drive).

Back