if your leaf runs in a hot climate, help test a theory regarding coolant...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanGunner

leafspy pro "ios" users living in a hot climate, need your help to test a theory. as you may know the ios version of leafspy now shows the motor/inverter temperature on screen 4 (circled in red on the attached screenshots).

my theory is that, if your leaf's coolant mixture is in good health, it should be able to drop the motor temperature at a good rate in the first 5 minutes right after reaching the maximum temperature compared to a coolant mixture that's unhealthy for a hot climate. i.e. has a higher concentration of antifreeze.

if you are willing to help test this theory, please do the following and report back with screenshots...

preferably on a really hot & humid day, turn off eco mode and drive as fast as you can on a road that allows you to do so safely. try to drive for 20-30 minutes and see what the highest temperature reading you can achieve on screen 4 of leafspy is. once you're confident that the temperature doesn't go any higher, turn in to a parking lot or even under a tree is fine and keep the car running. start the stopwatch on your phone and see how many degrees the temperature drops in the first 5 minutes.

my own test results are shown below. max temperature reachable was 59c/138f. my temperature dropped by 15c degrees in the first 5 minutes. my outside temperature (according to leafspy) was around 33c/91f. humidity (according to ios weather app) was around 82%. my coolant is at ~28% antifreeze mixed with deionized distilled water.

test results, advise, feedback, criticism all is welcome :)

I'm not in a hot climate, but perhaps this is of interest.

Between 1100 and 1103 the car is driven up a steep hill at high speed.

It's then left to idle for 5 minutes.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99952145/styes-graphs/journeys/sri/index.html

You will have to account for differences in A/C and Accessories in addition to Inverter temperature, ambient temperature, and anti-freeze fraction. Perhaps first try to isolate different parameters one at a time on your car, and then use those functions in the data received from others with different anti-freeze fractions.

What would one gain by knowing the coolant temperature when you have been pushing the Leaf?

When you stop pushing the car hard, of course the temperature will go down?? If it takes 1 minute or 30 seconds, what would you do differently??

As long as you change the antifreeze regularly, you are good.... Ans I understand that on the Leaf, you really don't need to change often, as it does not get as hot as a gas car...

Back