Preferred Charger Switch?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrodog

I just got a Seimens L2 charger and installed in my garage. Running off of a custom extension cable from a power outlet. I'd like to add in a local switch to power
Off the charger when not in use. I've looked at a ton of options, including switches (fused and not) and air conditioner cut-offs. My favorite so far is a Square D fused switch box but it uses two fuses. I have a bit of concern what would happen if just one fuse blows. In any case, what is typically being used for this?
index.php

Charging station type EVSEs (the actual charger is in the car) don't need to be powered off when not in use. However, if there is no breaker nearby, an A/C type cutoff is the preferred method. Again, it doesn't need to be switched off normally.

Mine is installed outside. If I don't want anyone coming by and charging their EV off of my charger I just turn it off at the breaker box.

But if yours is in a personal garage...

Mine is installed outside. If I don't want anyone coming by and charging their EV off of my charger I just turn it off at the breaker box.

How about a nice sign?

EMERGENCY CHARGING FOR BEVS ONLY

(VOLT DRIVERS WILL BE EATEN ON SIGHT)

Or what was the other sign I saw, something like,

"This EVSE is designed for Leaf's only, it may damage electronics in other vehicles. Not responsible for damages."

nice

:lol:

Ya! Something like that would be cool!

I don't mind if someone else uses it actually, so I don't turn it off. I even have it on Plugshare. I figure if someone comes clear out to my house to plug in instead of at the public charging station they must be desperate.

Back