Which EVSE to buy?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterp

My 240 v 10amp standard EVSE that came with the car seems to have died (may be repairable still).

I'm considering buying a back-up EVSE cable - I have a 2013 Leaf with I think the 3.3kw charger and I do all my charging at home. My old EVSE cable was giving me approx 2kw and it worked quite well with power coming off the PV system so I'd like to stay in that ball park.

Should I buy the OWM Nissan (Panasonic) EVESE cable or would anyone recommend a better solution????

From your description, your charger is a 120 volt (not 240 volt).

If that is the case, you can get a replacement OEM 120volt Panasonic charger off ebay for about $200-250.

If you in fact mean a 240volt charger, any charger will work, so get the cheapest "name-brand". I have a Schneider EVLINK and think it is a great company, as they make so many other electrical components..

You won't find many 10a 220v EVSEs for sale in N. America, most of ours start at 16a, of course S. Africa may be different. Almost everyone on MNL is from N. America so most people here will probably only know what would be available for our market.
If you were OK with 16a @ 220v then they are available from $299 USD from places like Amazon or eBay or even a few people on MNL sell them for about the same price or even less.

IssacZachary said:
Clipper Creek is another brand. I'm not sure what's best. I have a 240V Aeroviroment 40A 7.2kW permanently mounted EVSE.
Yes Clipper Creek should also work well, they may even have a 12a 220v EVSE, look for a 15 in their model number, those should be 12a continuous. The main reason I don't recommend CC as much is because they are strictly 208-240v and don't also work with our 120v but in the OPs case they don't have 120v anyway so the CCs should work just fine. Note they are also more expensive( about $100 more shipped) than the Chinese equivalents but they are US made and no doubt quality EVSEs :)

jjeff said:
Yes Clipper Creek should also work well, they may even have a 12a 220v EVSE, look for a 15 in their model number, those should be 12a continuous.

The Clipper Creek LCS-15E is specifically meant for 230 volt, 50 Hz electricity often found outside of North America: https://store.clippercreek.com/international/lcs-15e-international-ev-charging-station

RonDawg said:
jjeff said:
Yes Clipper Creek should also work well, they may even have a 12a 220v EVSE, look for a 15 in their model number, those should be 12a continuous.

The Clipper Creek LCS-15E is specifically meant for 230 volt, 50 Hz electricity often found outside of North America: https://store.clippercreek.com/international/lcs-15e-international-ev-charging-station
Wow, $579 USD($600+ with shipping in the US) :shock: more like $300+ or more than double a cheap 16a 220v EVSE, shame on CC :x
Personally if I had to have a CC and wanted a 12a 220v model I'd probably go with this one for $379 or a bit over $400 w/US shipping. Still more than $100 more than a 16a cheap model and you'd have to install your own pigtail and plug but far less than that crazy international model they sell!
https://store.clippercreek.com/all-products/lcs-15-12-amp-level-2-charging-station?sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100
Nothing different about a 50hz model vs our 60hz models, all the EVSE does is pass on the power from our mains anyway. Many of the cheap Chinese EVSEs show only 50hz on their back and this scares away some N. American people but whenever asked the sellers say they work just fine on 60hz and I can attest to that as I've been using several 50hz EVSEs on our 60hz power for quite some time and they work just fine.

OpenEVSE can be set on L2 to a minimum of 10A. Amazon sells a 24ft 15A J1772 cable for $100. Most cables are at least 30A.

https://store.openevse.com/

The Amazon cable is only L1rated . The NEC requires a 600V rated cable. My meggrer only goes to 1KV but the cable passes that. I really think today's insulation is not a concern. I have used the cable on a half dozen L2 EVSE's with no problems. Ul be dammed! Modern cables work fine at 240VAC.

Back