If you can't wait for Pro-Pilot: review of Mobileye 630 in Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irekz

Hi guys.
As you might know Nissan is using Mobileye technology for upcoming Pro-Pilot advanced driver assistance system. If you can't wait for it - you can have some of the features in your current car using stand alone Mobileye 630 system.

Here is my three minute demonstration of this system installed in 2015 Nissan Leaf tekna:
https://youtu.be/eYwtiqnBnKQ

Price including installation was quite steep: 920 euro (yes I had to pay in euro not pounds), but very happy with it.

Cheers,
Irek

Irek, Many thanks for your review. It was great!

Some questions:
1. Assuming you did a "self-install", could you pls describe the steps ?
2. For the Mobileye camera unit that is mounted on the inside of your windshield, how is it powered? I thought I saw a wire cable protruding out but wasn't sure if it was wired to the Mobileye camera.

Thanks again!

irekz said:
Hi guys.
As you might know Nissan is using Mobileye technology for upcoming Pro-Pilot advanced driver assistance Asystem. If you can't wait for it - you can have some of the features in your current car using stand alone Mobileye 630 system.

Here is my three minute demonstration of this system installed in 2015 Nissan Leaf tekna:
https://youtu.be/eYwtiqnBnKQ

Price including installation was quite steep: 920 euro (yes I had to pay in euro not pounds), but very happy with it.

Cheers,
Irek

mxp said:
Irek, Many thanks for your review. It was great!

Some questions:
1. Assuming you did a "self-install", could you pls describe the steps ?
2. For the Mobileye camera unit that is mounted on the inside of your windshield, how is it powered? I thought I saw a wire cable protruding out but wasn't sure if it was wired to the Mobileye camera.

Thanks again!

Hi, glad you like it :)
1) Installation was done by mobileye technican at my work place (so price of 920 euro included the installation).
It's rather involved process (takes around 2 hours) see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL-gatAmwhw

2) system is powered form Leaf fuse box (only on when car is on). It also connects to CAN bus of the car (so it can read speed and use of indicators).

Cable to the camera is routed in a way that is pretty much invisible (initially straight up to the roof).
See the video in point 1 for more details :)

Cheers,
Irek

ps. I was advised that if I ever need to replace the windshield - I should make a careful note of position of the camera, and install it in the exactly the same spot - otherwise I would have to call mobileye to do re-calibration.

I don't understand why high-beam assistant is not supported with Leaf.
I though older 360 did work with high beam assist. It does require additional wiring though.

arnis said:
I don't understand why high-beam assistant is not supported with Leaf.
I though older 360 did work with high beam assist. It does require additional wiring though.

Hi Arnis.

I queried about that and got twice the same answer: first from sales people and then from the installer.
Installer mentioned that High Beam control works only on older cars, and mentioned something about resistance measurement.
Possibly in older cars, system knows if high beam is activated my measuring resistance on the line (high beam will have lower one).
This might not work for LED lights used in Leaf - but I'm just guessing here.

Cheers,
Irek

If it doesn't work out of the box, any resistance value can be set with additional relay that costs 5€ and whatever resistor required.
It will add an hour to the work but resistance is clearly doable. CAN bus control is problematic.
LED is only for low beam so definitely not the source of the problem.

Back