2013 S vs 2015 S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louflum

Hi,
I'm considering buying a used leaf. I found 2 leafs on an online site, both S models with about 23K miles. The 2013 is $8,000, the 2015 is $9,000. Both blue with the quick charge package. Can somebody here tell me if it is better to pay $1K more for the 2015? From what I see online both are in the same shape, but of course the powertrain warranty has more time on it for the 2015. I'm worried the battery pack might have less life in it in the 2013.

Also, how is the 4-speaker stereo in the S trim vs the 6-speaker in the SV and the 7-speaker Bose in the Premium package? I currently own a 2015 Prius 2 with a stock 4-speaker stereo I think is fine.

Thanks, Lou

Hi,

I did some checking - the 2013 leaf I'm looking at was manufactured on 10/19/2013, so it should have the "good" battery pack. As I ask above, since the 2013 and 2015 leafs have the same mileage, is it worth paying $1000 more for the 2015? Both cars have the quick charge package.

I also read some posts that had some folks say it's worth getting the SV or SL rather than the S. The only advantages I see with the SV or SL are the heat pump heater and the better stereo (6-speaker vs 4-speaker). I don't care for leather seats, and my driving range should be OK with the resistance heater.

Thanks, Lou

How much more for SV and SL? I would go for a higher level of trim. Rear camera is a very good idea so make sure they have that. The model S has a smaller screen to view it on , I like my SL screen for reversing. I wish I had gone for the heat pump car too. Heated steering wheel is something I never thought I'd care about, now I've got one I don't ever want to go without it.

Phatcat73 said:
I'd get the 15 for the added warranty, backup camera, and cruise control.

If this is true, then $1000 will be definitely worth that.
Cruise control is extremely useful.

In addition, years later 2015 Leaf will still have more value than 2013 Leaf. So the price difference is actually
smaller than 1000.

Mileage is not as important as age. Battery also degrades if it just sits doing nothing.
Even though both cars might have very little battery degradation, difference between them can be huge
even with identical mileage. For example one car has 95% left and another one 90% left.

LED headlights are pointless, BOSE sound system is awesome, both lower ones are crap.
If you take care of your interior you don't need leather.
Surround camera is too much, rear camera is extremely helpful (less helpful on super-small display )

Heat pump helps if temperature goes below freezing often and range is extremely important.

DC port will add value to the vehicle later.

Take 2015 S trim.

LeftieBiker said:
Surround camera is too much, rear camera is extremely helpful (less helpful on super-small display )

Many of us love the All Around View system, and use it constantly to park the car.
Totally agree w/Leftie. I LOVE AVM.

I have only a rear-view camera in my 06 Prius and it's a HUGE step backwards vs. AVM.

The backup camera in my housemate's 2013 PIP is almost totally useless, especially at night. Terrible, low resolution, and it manages to make the night scene too bright as well as full of video static.

I would like the surround camera system better if I could display the rear camera image in full screen when needed. The image is smaller and has more distortion than the rear camera only system on the 2011. The images from the other cameras are helpful for parking in tight p!aces, but I miss the clear full screen view from the rear camera. The Bose sound system is much better than the audio in the 2011.

Regarding OP question--I recommend the 2015 because there is more time left on factory warranties and it has the newer battery chemistry.

Back