My insurance quote experience

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

This was so outside what I expected - I had to make a new thread on this.

Since I got the VIN today, I thought I'd get a quote from my insurance company - Ameriprise (thr' costco). After the usual questions, she asked for the VIN, saying that way they can pull all the info. I thought - really ? We will see about that.

I read the VIN. She said it says invalid VIN. I was about to say, I knew it.

Anyway, she read out the VIN and there was a mistake. Once corrected - there was 15 sec silence. Then she said

"Woohooo - it is a Nissan LEAF !! I want to get one too !!!"

I was stunned. I had not expected anyone to shout so excitedly about it ! Apparently her son (13 yrs) is against getting it - he wants to get a hummer. I heard a nice quote after that - "I'd have to buy a rig to go along with it" !.

Anyway, I told het to come to this forum for any info. She doesn't have a reservation yet - and is in WI. So, she would have to wait till the fall to get a reservation, I guess. No, she doesn't want a Ford - she has an altima now and wants to stick to Nissan.

Oh, BTW, my insurance will be about 70 bucks more for 6 months, for Leaf instead of '98 Maxima.

evnow said:
This was so outside what I expected - I had to make a new thread on this.

Since I got the VIN today, I thought I'd get a quote from my insurance company - Ameriprise (thr' costco). After the usual questions, she asked for the VIN, saying that way they can pull all the info. I thought - really ? We will see about that.

I read the VIN. She said it says invalid VIN. I was about to say, I knew it.

Anyway, she read out the VIN and there was a mistake. Once corrected - there was 15 sec silence. Then she said

"Woohooo - it is a Nissan LEAF !! I want to get one too !!!"

I was stunned. I had not expected anyone to shout so excitedly about it ! Apparently her son (13 yrs) is against getting it - he wants to get a hummer. I heard a nice quote after that - "I'd have to buy a rig to go along with it" !.

Anyway, I told het to come to this forum for any info. She doesn't have a reservation yet - and is in WI. So, she would have to wait till the fall to get a reservation, I guess. No, she doesn't want a Ford - she has an altima now and wants to stick to Nissan.

Oh, BTW, my insurance will be about 70 bucks more for 6 months, for Leaf instead of '98 Maxima.

Nice! I hope you helped her educate her wayward son!!! :twisted:

My insurance company (USAA) had never heard of the car. My quote was $7.46/mo more if I got rid of the BMW, and $54/mo more if I keep the BMW on the policy. (the BMW will only be on for as long as it takes me to sell it.)

I guess it depends on where in the country your insurance call center is....USAA was in Virginia and they didn't see any advertising there. I told her she probably wouldn't until the car was getting ready to be available there.

Yes. Our State Farm rate on the 08 Civic Hybrid was $428/6 mos and the LEAF will be $507/6 mos. Entirely due to the cost difference of the two cars. Its all good! :ugeek:

TRONZ said:
Yes. Our State Farm rate on the 08 Civic Hybrid was $428/6 mos and the LEAF will be $507/6 mos. Entirely due to the cost difference of the two cars. Its all good! :ugeek:
wow why so high? my quote is $229/ 6 month

TRONZ said:
Yes - right now it is all MSRP based. But when I actually get the insurance I think I can get it lower because of carwings. We will see.

BTW, the replacement/gap insurance was just 8 bucks for 6 months.

evnow said:
TRONZ said:
Yes - right now it is all MSRP based. But when I actually get the insurance I think I can get it lower because of carwings. We will see.

BTW, the replacement/gap insurance was just 8 bucks for 6 months.

I was told that Nissan covers the gap insurance on a lease......???

I got a preliminary quote from USAA. Their system doesn't have the Leaf in it yet. The funny thing is even though i told them it was an electric car, they still went through their script. "is the vehicle a 4 or 6 cylinder?" Um, neither. It's electric.

The rate is pretty close to what I have on my current 2000 Camry - just about $10/mo more.

I got a mailing from 21st Insurance so I went online at 21st.com to get a quote for a LEAF. The LEAF did not show up on the pull-down menu for Nissan. I emailed them this morning with this question: Why is the Nissan LEAF not on your list of vehicles you insure?

Here is their response:
Dear Customer _____________,

Unfortunately, we do not insure electric vehicles at this time. Thank you for considering 21st Century Insurance for your insurance needs. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us again by responding to this email or by phone at 1-800-807-9458.

Sincerely,

The 21st Century Insurance Team

We are now a proud member of the Farmers Insurance Group of Companies®. With over 20 million policyholders and an AM Best® “excellent” rating, you are part of the nation's third largest Personal Lines Insurers in America.

No electric vehicles???? Has anyone else gotten this response from insurance companies?

Considering the terrible reputation that they had as 20th century and then as 21st century, perhaps it is just as well. They are great unless you actually need to use your insurance coverage...

Azrich said:
I got a mailing from 21st Insurance so I went online at 21st.com to get a quote for a LEAF. The LEAF did not show up on the pull-down menu for Nissan. I emailed them this morning with this question: Why is the Nissan LEAF not on your list of vehicles you insure?
No electric vehicles???? Has anyone else gotten this response from insurance companies?

i called my insurance agent who could not verify the VIN i gave her. now this is the 3rd call to them and have received 3 different quotes and none of the people i talked to knew what a Leaf was.

but yesterdays quote was $65 a month which is much higher than the last quote which was almost the same as my 2010 Prius. this $65 a month quote is more double the Prius rates.

but that is normal for these people. on my 2010 Prius and Zenn they could only submit a form of coverage to the dealer without any real vehicle specifics.

but it will be submitted to their company and the "real" rates will come back in a few weeks just like the last ones did.

Even though I'm still about 6 weeks away, I called my State Farm agent today to get an idea of what insurance would be on the Leaf. He had no problem giving me a quote but did tell me that until they have some actual actuarial experience with the Leaf, the insurance rates were likely to be higher than they would be otherwise for a similar ICE car. The quote I got placed it between what I currently pay for my Acura MDX and BMW 330 even though both cars were more expensive than the Leaf.

AAA is a very good insurance company, I have had many over the years and went back to them. My rate on the LEAf was very low for the highest coverages and they give a 5% discount on EVs. Don't bother with crappy insurance companies, in the end they will burn you and cost more.

I'm with Liberty Mutual and they don't insure EV's yet either. :x Not that it matters to me, since I didn't pre-register, therefore won't get a LEAF for another year or so.

FYI, I had a horrendous experience with Progressive a few years ago with my motorcycle insurance when I tried to make a claim for what was not even my fault. I would never recommend or use them again for anything. (The only reason I didn't go with SF, who is my regular car, umbrella and house insurer, for the MC was that they were way out of the ballpark price-wise.)

Gonewild said:
Call Progressive that is my insurance company and they have a low price as well.

Back