Does the new LEAF look matter to you?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armmynissanleaf

Here is a very good story about the new details of the new 2018 Nissan LEAF and the most notable changes.

Reference: http://www.torquenews.com/3618/does-2018-nissan-leaf-look-matter-range-specs

Spotted in Europe recently was a camouflaged Nissan Leaf suspected to be the 2018 version of the world’s bestselling electric car. We have heard that a redesign was coming and welcomed by many that thought the first-generation Nissan Leaf design was ugly to start with. To me (prior Nissan Leaf driver for 3 years) the styling was extremely functional and space friendly for my daily driving needs.

The most notable changes to the 2018 Nissan Leaf seem to be the head lights. The headlights where initially designed to vent the air around the side mirrors to prevent considerably high levels of wind noise. If these pictures actually are the Nissan Leaf Generation II we are in store for a much more standardized head light assembly compared to the first generation. It looks like the sloped hatchback is retained but at a slightly more forward angle. The car does seem to be shorter than the generation one version of the car and seems to be slightly longer. This could be an attempt to streamline the car even more to help impact the range as the range play is what has slowed down Nissan’s Leaf’s progress of the last several months in my view.

Does the new design matter to you when we get a great range like this?

LeftieBiker said:
The car does seem to be shorter than the generation one version of the car and seems to be slightly longer.

Good trick.

Less height, more length. Not all that difficult to do.

As for the looks, I can't say. The image in the article isn't of the gen 2 Leaf.
I like the verbal description, but really can't say until I see it.

It was being described as being shorter, but longer. It may be lower, but the rendering of the Gen 2, which has been posted here multiple times and really should be again in this topic, doesn't look lower to me. Maybe the front of the nose is lower.

2018-Nissan-Leaf-Carscoops-2.jpg

2018-nissan-leaf-rear-1.jpg

2018-nissan-leaf-front-1-728x607.jpg

The looks aren't that important to me though I must say I'm not a fan of Nissan's pinchy-creasy-foldy Origami approach. But there are plenty other higher priorities. Reliability, range (real, not imaginary), interior space, non-obfuscatory EV instrumentation and overall user implementation such as simple knobs instead of having to press a button 10 times. A battery that is well-warranted and lives up to promises much better than today. Although I've been happy with LEAF, fewer Stupid Nissan Tricks would be awesome. I've long said they wouldn't really step up their game until real competition arrived. Well, it's arriving and I'll be interested in the details of Nissan's response to it.

Sure looks matter, but they aren't at the top of the list. And no, I sure as heck do not prefer the current Japanese sedan appearance with angular lines and lights plus a trunk lid. A 5-door hatchback is a reasonable configuration for a smaller vehicle. And if we are going to have a somewhat larger model, I prefer the wagon look and utility of the VW Sportwagen or the Prius V.

I have owned two Leafs, A Mercedes B and my current eGolf. I say bull **** on the Nissan headlight air stream. Both the Mercedes and my current eGolf have quiet normal side mirrors. The RAV4 EV that I test driven was also quiet.

My priorities:
1) Range / Charging speed (and network availability)
2) Price
3) Driving characteristics - both acceleration and handling (I love my Leaf, but I'm done with boring cars)
4) Interior layout (The Bolt is well thought out, the Leaf OK, the Model 3...that design RI was out to lunch)
5) Looks (I bought my current Leaf despite the looks, and may be willing to do so again if 1-4 are exceptional)

GlennD said:
I have owned two Leafs, A Mercedes B and my current eGolf. I say bull **** on the Nissan headlight air stream. Both the Mercedes and my current eGolf have quiet normal side mirrors. The RAV4 EV that I test driven was also quiet.

+1

I have a Leaf and a CMax Energi. The CMax is quieter than the Leaf at any speed, when in EV mode.

LeftieBiker said:

It was being described as being shorter, but longer. It may be lower, but the rendering of the Gen 2, which has been posted here multiple times and really should be again in this topic, doesn't look lower to me. Maybe the front of the nose is lower.

2018-Nissan-Leaf-Carscoops-2.jpg

2018-nissan-leaf-rear-1.jpg

2018-nissan-leaf-front-1-728x607.jpg

The first is the newest rendering which looks very similar to the current car, and the second and third are different - and they are too high.

Looks aren't the top of the list for me either. But I do wonder..
Then again, my wife and I are kind of weird it seems.. We like the looks of the Leaf..

My only concern is that they will make it too standard looking.. ;-)

desiv

The first is the newest rendering which looks very similar to the current car, and the second and third are different - and they are too high.

The more recent one may be an optional package. I suspect that the older rendering will better represent the ride height of the Leaf 2, as the new one is unrealistically low - almost no ground clearance. We don't want to be bashing the bottom of the nose whenever we exit a parking lot.

Back