jjeff wrote:IMO there will always be a need for ICE vehicles, just not to the degree we use them now. I mean 95%?? of peoples daily drives are within even the range of the Leaf or other BEVs, use them for that purpose and a ICE for longer trips or when you need 100+ miles at a shot. I suppose the ideal all in one vehicle would be the PHEV with say a 30-50 mile EV only range, EV for 90% of your trips, ICE for the other 10%.
This is where I personally think motoring will go in the future, at least short-term. A battery large enough for the overwhelming majority of your driving needs, but a small engine (perhaps 1 liter displacement or less) for those few times you actually need to go further, or need to charge away from a plug.
You are talking about range extenders and you can already get one (Chevy Volt, BMW i3, etc.).
With regards to range - obviously the vast majority of people out there drive very little day to day and for that reason, low range EVs are fine. However, there is always the possibility that an unexpected eventuality may come up that could require you to drive more. For example, let's say you have a Leaf that you can realistically drive 100 miles before empty. Your day to day driving is around 50 miles. Suddenly, you get a phone call that someone has died, someone needs to be picked up or taken to the airport, you have a family emergency where someone has been taken to a hospital far away - whatever scenario you want to use. Now you are faced with an emergency that you cannot get to because your car simply cannot get you there. This is something that you do not have to worry about with an ICE car because you probably have enough gas already to get there and if not, a quick stop at a gas station can fix that. Now granted, that is an extreme situation, but they are not unheard of (I've been through enough of them to know that).
That is my biggest issue with limited range EVs and it's something that I don't have the same reservations about with cars like the Bolt and the various Teslas - I just cannot afford either of those. So for me, and I would assume the vast majority of other people on the fence with adopting the tech, range is an issue that needs to be addressed. I think having a car that, at minimum, can go around 250+ miles on a charge would fix that. Forget about EVs and use this same argument for ICE cars. How many of you would buy a gasoline powered car that could only go 100 miles before needing a fill up? Then assume that there wasn't a gas station on every street corner and that an average fill up of your car will take an hour or more, would you still buy that gasoline car? Not when every other car on the market can go 300 or more on a tank you're not.
The next problem with getting people to adopt these en masse is the cost of them. It's hard to convince someone to spend $35K or more on an EV when they can buy an ICE car for $16K+ (and I'm talking basic transportation here people - I'm not talking about someone who is happy to spend six figures on a car). There is another thread where I have put up my approximate costs for operating my current car (Fiat 500) and it would cost me more money to own an EV than what I am spending on my ICE car to operate - the economics of them are simply not there for the vast majority of people (I'm talking about the masses here and not people who can easily afford $40K + cars - the masses cannot afford those cars).
You start marketing a reliable EV with a 250+ mile range in the $20K range and I think you will see more adopters. I think Hyundai is on the right track with pricing the Ioniq EV at $29K and that is a step in the right direction.
Purely my opinion as a poor guy