tattoogunman wrote: RonDawg wrote:
jjeff wrote:IMO there will always be a need for ICE vehicles, just not to the degree we use them now. I mean 95%?? of peoples daily drives are within even the range of the Leaf or other BEVs, use them for that purpose and a ICE for longer trips or when you need 100+ miles at a shot. I suppose the ideal all in one vehicle would be the PHEV with say a 30-50 mile EV only range, EV for 90% of your trips, ICE for the other 10%.
This is where I personally think motoring will go in the future, at least short-term. A battery large enough for the overwhelming majority of your driving needs, but a small engine (perhaps 1 liter displacement or less) for those few times you actually need to go further, or need to charge away from a plug.
You are talking about range extenders and you can already get one (Chevy Volt, BMW i3, etc.)...
No, not really.
Idiotic CARB regulations still require that the generator not be turned on until the battery charge is nearly exhausted
, to meet its BEVx classification.
This means the generator has to be over-sized to provide full traction energy to BEV with a depleted pack, and even then may only power the car inadequately in extreme conditions, as is the case with a BMW i3.
This issue has been discussed for many years on this thread:
The “range–extended” EV (BEVx) considered
Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:50 am
...I’m still not so ready to totally write off the ICE, as many on this site seem to be.
In fact, a true ICE ”range extender” for a BEV is not a bad Idea, It's just that current designs are all abysmal failures, from the point of energy efficiency and driver utility. Putting an ICE drivetrain in an EV, whether in series, parallel, or any other hybrid configuration, is not advisable, IMO. Invariably, you will get an overweight, overpriced, underperforming vehicle, like the Volt. It seems almost as ridiculous, to install an extremely expensive and heavy large battery pack (like the Tesla S long-range options) which is only occasionally required by the BEV driver.
A functional range extender would consist of:
A small displacement (200-600 CC) ICE generator, run at highest-efficiency rpm, to recharge the battery pack. Generator output would not be sufficient to drive the vehicle, just enough to extend the battery pack range to the next convenient recharge location.
It would not run on gasoline, but a less polluting, and more stable fuel, such as propane (easier refueling) or CNG (lower cost). 5 gallons of Propane, for example, would probably offer about 200 miles of range extention for a LEAF-sized BEV.
The fuel would also be available to a combustion cabin heater, the one use for which battery energy storage is particularly inefficient...