Mounting old phone for LeafSpy usage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

I'm thinking of mounting an older phone on the driver's visor and running the power cable somehow down the left side of the car in and around the trim and eventually underneath to connect.

That way, I can flip the visor up when I park and the phone won't be as visible...I was thinking about a phone holder that might clip onto an air vent, but then that would be visible more of the time, and I don't want to take the phone in and out when I park somewhere...

Has anyone done an installation like this before? Just curious about how you went about it and wired it up....

Thanks...

I've never heard of mounting a phone on a visor. You're probably blazing new territory for that one.

As for getting power up there, I would suggest tapping into the power lines for the map lights. Then you don't need to find a long USB cord for routing all around the windshield and other trim.

Thanks, good comments....Since I'm a guy and don't use the visor mirror (ha), I thought I might mount the phone to the plastic cover on the mirror with double faced tape or velcro, etc. Still thinking about that...I am already tapping power from the map light for a dash cam that I have mounted to the underside of the rear view mirror, so I suppose I could re-open that cover and get power there for the phone as well.

I've been thinking more about this over the last couple of days...If at all possible, I would want the phone to come on when I power up the car and show the LeafSpy screen, and then power down when the car is off. I was thinking about removing the battery on the phone so that it wouldn't run when the car is off...Is there a way to get the phone to behave this way so I don't have to turn it on and mess with it each time?
I've never tried that before....May have to experiment....

This is something I've been thinking about for a while as well. I was going to order a spare visor, and build it right into the vizor.

However, I think there are 2 major issues:

1. You need to find a phone that can handle the battery not being there, and make sure that it isn't a hazard because the charging circuit is freaking out.

2. Android phones can take a long time to boot up, so that could screw up your numbers/averages.

Did you figure out what phone would work well?

The software automation is the easy part. Just use something like Tasker or AutoMagic to trigger a task after the system booted up (or when the LEAF's Bluetooth interface is detected).

Without a battery, the phone would shut down before recognizing that you turned the car off so it would not log your trip information in the Leaf Spy log file. I think your best bet would be to leave the battery in place and turn the phone off as you exit from the car. Mounting the phone on the visor should work in your climate. It would get too hot and cause the phone to not turn on after parking in the sun here.

Back