'13 Leaf Pit Falls

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiHoStevo

I am looking for a used Leaf for my Grand-daughter to drive to school and work.

I came across a '13 Leaf that was manufactured in January of '13. It is only showing 9 bars currently and has 82,000 miles on the Odo.

I believe there was a change in April or May that improved the '13's, so I will miss out on that.

What else should I be aware of?

Thank you

The battery chemistry change happened in April - apparently April 1st, as near as we can tell. Earlier builds have also had somewhat higher defect rates in things like the A/C, I believe. Depending on how long is left on the capacity warranty of that early '13 Leaf, it may qualify for a free new pack. If it just misses the date, it may qualify for something like a pro-rated warranty replacement.

As a 9 bar car, she'd be lucky to get 50 miles. I'm pushing it to get 60 miles on my 10 bar '12. If she's OK with a regular 40-50 mile car it might work out OK, for a 9 bar Leaf I personally wouldn't pay over $6k, especially one that wouldn't' be eligible for a new battery.
Also being so low in SOH don't really expect much if any regen, so your breaks will wear much quicker than a normal healthy Leaf. Being a '13 it has several advantages over the '12 or '11 but not really the battery, unless it was built after 3/'13 which it was not.
My school age daughter mainly drives my 10 bar '12 and really likes it, whats not to like, free gas and no real maintenance :) If she needs longer range she just borrows the '13 or our ICE vehicle, her friends really like the quiet stealthy Leaf and being a SL it's loaded to the gills with lots of things I never had on my first car :lol:

Does your grand daughter have a way to charge at 208/240 volts? Charging at 120 volts is so slow that it really limits usable miles per day (and is somewhat less efficient). If you get a 2013, get one manufactured after 4/2013. I don't know how much better they are in the heat than the older ones, but they should last longer. I do know that the "lizard" battery in my 2015 is doing much better than either the original or replacement batteries in my 2011.

Thanks Gerry...

Yes if I find the right Leaf she has the capability of using a level 2 charger in her garage... she will be parking right next to the breaker box so installing a 220 breaker and wiring a plug will be very simple.

However, I agree I need to pass on this '13 with 82,000 miles... even though looks very good, I am sure Nissan will not help out with a new battery for a car with that many miles on it.

Back