IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Re: Need to run a cooler for about a day and a half. 12 volt socket max current

Tue May 09, 2017 9:40 pm

webeleafowners wrote:Hi folks. I need to be able to run a little fridge cooler for about a day and a half. (Long story) This is a small Dan Foss unit with a 5 amp draw and a duty cycle of about 1/3. Two questions.

* What is the 12 volt accessory socket rated for.
* What is the procedure for the car activation where the 12 volt socket is activated but hopefully car still "off" or at least not in ready. etc. Not sure I am explaining myself well so bare with me.

Thanks all.

PS, I think I asked something like this a while back but can't find it or the response...plus I wasn't sure of all my cooler numbers at the time.

John

Looking at your needs it looks like you need only about 60ah of electricity. (36 hours times 5 amps divided into three). Sound like a 100ah or bigger deep cycle battery might be all you need instead of leaving your car on for a day and a half.
2013 SL 45,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Wed May 10, 2017 6:53 pm

Unless you need a large deep cycle battery for something else, just use the Leaf. Put it in ready mode, make sure climate control is turned completely off, plug the cooler in, lock the doors, and walk away.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Wed May 10, 2017 7:33 pm

GerryAZ wrote:Unless you need a large deep cycle battery for something else, just use the Leaf. Put it in ready mode, make sure climate control is turned completely off, plug the cooler in, lock the doors, and walk away.

Thanks for the input. So I know there are lots of parasitic loads in the ready mode but I would be curious about what you think the consumption of the leaf would be after a day or two in ready mode.

Thanks in advance.

John
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed May 10, 2017 11:55 pm

Look in the "leaf to Home' topic. People have run inverters from a Leaf (and Prius). I don't remember the stats, but IIRC they pulled 10X as much power from the car as your cooler would, for many hours.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

GerryAZ
Gold Member

Thu May 11, 2017 3:55 am

John,

I am guessing 300 watts average continuous load so maybe 8 kWh per day. Therefore, you would have about 1/4 to 1/3 charge remaining. If you go this route, make sure all lights and climate control are turned off to minimize residual load.

If you have an extra battery, you could run the cooler on that battery for a few hours and then recharge that battery with the Leaf. A 40 AHr battery would run your cooler for 6 to 8 hours and you could recharge it by running the Leaf for a couple of hours (or less). If you go this route, connect jumper cables from the Leaf battery to the cooler battery to recharge it using the DC-DC converter with the Leaf in ready mode. Cables need to be suitable to carry 100 amperes continuous. Connect directly to positive and negative terminals of the Leaf battery so charging current flows through sensor at negative terminal to get maximum charging rate. This approach would reduce the overhead losses because the Leaf would not be on continuously.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Thu May 11, 2017 6:59 am

That's a good idea. However, I seem to have read somewhere that hooking up to the negative cable is a no no break the car type of thing. Is this a different situation.

GerryAZ wrote:John,

I am guessing 300 watts average continuous load so maybe 8 kWh per day. Therefore, you would have about 1/4 to 1/3 charge remaining. If you go this route, make sure all lights and climate control are turned off to minimize residual load.

If you have an extra battery, you could run the cooler on that battery for a few hours and then recharge that battery with the Leaf. A 40 AHr battery would run your cooler for 6 to 8 hours and you could recharge it by running the Leaf for a couple of hours (or less). If you go this route, connect jumper cables from the Leaf battery to the cooler battery to recharge it using the DC-DC converter with the Leaf in ready mode. Cables need to be suitable to carry 100 amperes continuous. Connect directly to positive and negative terminals of the Leaf battery so charging current flows through sensor at negative terminal to get maximum charging rate. This approach would reduce the overhead losses because the Leaf would not be on continuously.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter

Thu May 11, 2017 7:11 am

webeleafowners wrote:That's a good idea. However, I seem to have read somewhere that hooking up to the negative cable is a no no break the car type of thing. Is this a different situation.

When my 12V was dying I hooked jumper cables up to the battery terminals. I did get a strange effect in that it didn't help start the car. I was told in this forum that the problem was I wasn't hooking up to the body of the car as ground. Anyhow, that didn't change anything either, but it definitely didn't hurt anything to go straight to the battery terminals. My guess is that it wasn't putting out the voltage I thought it was according to my analog voltmeter.

And logically it shouldn't hurt anything to go straight to the battery terminals.

Technically you could use just the Leaf's car battery alone and turn on the Leaf every couple hours to charge it. But with the second battery you can manually disconnect that and completely avoid killing your Leaf's 12V battery.

As stated before, leaving the Leaf in ready mode will waste up to 75% of your traction battery charge.
2013 SL 45,000 miles.
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

GerryAZ
Gold Member

Thu May 11, 2017 7:20 am

If you connect to negative battery terminal, current flow to auxiliary battery will be enough to keep DC-DC converter charging at 14 volts. If you connect to chassis ground, charging will be at float voltage of about 13 volts so current into auxiliary battery will be lower.
Gerry

gshepherd
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2016

Thu May 11, 2017 8:13 am

I've noticed some interesting options from Goal Zero and Anker for portable LiIon battery packs if you need to do this more often. I saw the Goal Zero Yeti 1400 Wh LiIon "generator" at Costco for $1K. Anker has a smaller 434 Wh unit for $329. Both include USB, 12V socket, and 120V sine wave AC output. Pretty neat.
2016 LEAF SV

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter

Thu May 11, 2017 9:35 am

gshepherd wrote:I've noticed some interesting options from Goal Zero and Anker for portable LiIon battery packs if you need to do this more often. I saw the Goal Zero Yeti 1400 Wh LiIon "generator" at Costco for $1K. Anker has a smaller 434 Wh unit for $329. Both include USB, 12V socket, and 120V sine wave AC output. Pretty neat.

That sounds neat. But for less than $200 he could get up to 1,200Wh of what he needs with this:

100AH BATTERY SOLAR WIND CYCLE

This is all he really needs and some wire and perhaps a set of jumper cables or a battery charger.
2013 SL 45,000 miles.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”