Foschas
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:35 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 320277
Location: Mass

Re: 30,000 mile checkup on Leaf: recommended repairs $11053.88

Wed May 17, 2017 7:01 am

Check your leaf's in service date, there is a slight chance the battery may still be under warranty depending on when it was first sold.

Nissan LEAF Customer Support: 1-877-664-2738 (1-877-NO-GAS-EV)

As for the heater shop around. May be an independent that can do the job for less.

SageBrush
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: 30,000 mile checkup on Leaf: recommended repairs $11053.88

Wed May 17, 2017 8:28 am

Checking the original purchase date by VIN in case the car is still under warranty is a good idea. Nissan has agreed to pay most of a battery replacement cost for not-long out of warranty cases but they seem to give preference to original owners. I would still try, and emphasize the rapid drop in capacity in the time you have owned the car. Their POV seems to be that the second owner has already received a discount on the car so Nissan does not have to cover the battery depreciation, but your argument should be that you paid for an 11 bar battery when in actuality it is an 8 bar car.

As for the heater: I would buy a 12v butt warmer and a nice pair of gloves and call it a day.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

jjeff
Posts: 1363
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: 30,000 mile checkup on Leaf: recommended repairs $11053.88

Wed May 17, 2017 10:39 am

SageBrush wrote:As for the heater: I would buy a 12v butt warmer and a nice pair of gloves and call it a day.

That may work for the OP, living in Silicon Valley but in more northern climates the heater or more specifically the defroster is critical to being able to see the road. IOW it's not just a nicety to have heat/defrost, without it you basically have a 7 month car :(
Now I suppose one could purchase a couple 12v heaters to mount near the windshield but even the side windows frost up in my state and blocked side windows also poses a safety issue. It's bad that something like a defective heater could sideline a car, much more important than AC in my state :)
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

SageBrush
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: 30,000 mile checkup on Leaf: recommended repairs $11053.88

Wed May 17, 2017 10:47 am

jjeff wrote:
SageBrush wrote:As for the heater: I would buy a 12v butt warmer and a nice pair of gloves and call it a day.

That may work for the OP, living in Silicon Valley but in more northern climates the heater or more specifically the defroster is critical to being able to see the road. IOW it's not just a nicety to have heat/defrost, without it you basically have a 7 month car :(
Now I suppose one could purchase a couple 12v heaters to mount near the windshield but even the side windows frost up in my state and blocked side windows also poses a safety issue. It's bad that something like a defective heater could sideline a car, much more important than AC in my state :)
I live in a snow climate, but the air is dry enough to control the fog on glass by allowing a small amount of ventilation. I've yet to use the heater for fog control. One does have to be somewhat cold hardy, and next winter I'm going to find a solution for my cold feet :D
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

jjeff
Posts: 1363
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: 30,000 mile checkup on Leaf: recommended repairs $11053.88

Wed May 17, 2017 11:34 am

SageBrush wrote:
jjeff wrote:
SageBrush wrote:As for the heater: I would buy a 12v butt warmer and a nice pair of gloves and call it a day.

That may work for the OP, living in Silicon Valley but in more northern climates the heater or more specifically the defroster is critical to being able to see the road. IOW it's not just a nicety to have heat/defrost, without it you basically have a 7 month car :(
Now I suppose one could purchase a couple 12v heaters to mount near the windshield but even the side windows frost up in my state and blocked side windows also poses a safety issue. It's bad that something like a defective heater could sideline a car, much more important than AC in my state :)
I live in a snow climate, but the air is dry enough to control the fog on glass by allowing a small amount of ventilation. I've yet to use the heater for fog control. One does have to be somewhat cold hardy, and next winter I'm going to find a solution for my cold feet :D

Yes with fog you can get by for the most part without heat, I was talking more about frost/ice. Often times I'll need to use the ice scraper not only on the outside windows but also inside, which gets bits of frost all over the dash :(
For your cold feet you might want to try one of those small 12v cigarette lighter heaters. I've seen them as low as $6.99 and regularly see them for <$10. Of course finding a place to mount it that didn't get in the way of your feet may be a challenge, depending on your shoe size or if your wearing boots.
https://www.amazon.com/FeelGlad-portabl ... ive+heater

To OP, a possible solution to your heater? definitely more robust than the cheap heater I linked above.
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Heater- ... ive+heater
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

LeftieBiker
Posts: 6557
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 30,000 mile checkup on Leaf: recommended repairs $11053.88

Wed May 17, 2017 1:01 pm

Check my "Heater in a Box" topic here. You could hardwire an inverter to the car's 12 volt battery (I'd get a new, higher capacity, deeper cycle type if it's old) and run up to three or four 200 watt 120 volt ceramic heaters. I mounted them in the footwells, on the front seat frames, facing forward, to warm the legs and feet. They worked surprisingly well. This would be a roughly $300 solution.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

SageBrush
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: 30,000 mile checkup on Leaf: recommended repairs $11053.88

Wed May 17, 2017 2:20 pm

jjeff wrote:For your cold feet you might want to try one of those small 12v cigarette lighter heaters. I've seen them as low as $6.99 and regularly see them for <$10. Of course finding a place to mount it that didn't get in the way of your feet may be a challenge, depending on your shoe size or if your wearing boots.
https://www.amazon.com/FeelGlad-portabl ... ive+heater

Thanks for the link, but I'd like to try and avoid a resistance heater drawing car power if possible.

I was thinking more along the lines of a pair of well insulated, microwavable soft boots or slippers.
Perhaps like this: https://www.amazon.com/Upper-Canada-Soa ... ot+warmers
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

brycenesbitt
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:48 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Feb 2016

Re: 30,000 mile checkup on Leaf: recommended repairs $11053.88

Wed May 17, 2017 2:34 pm

SageBrush wrote:As for the heater: I would buy a 12v butt warmer and a nice pair of gloves and call it a day.


The issue, as others noted, is the defog. On a cold day it's just possible to turn the A/C on and get a sorta kinda defog effect. The A/C on a cold day is not super popular with passengers. Yes this is climate and temperature dependent: in mine it is crucial.

The issue with the heater is Nissan buried four DC HEV fuses (OHEV0030.ZXISO equivalent be specific), under the inverter, in a box sealed with glue, behind a strut, under the windshield wiper and heater assembly, no less deeply buried than a gear in the transmission. The dealer says that fuse is bad, and that it's $3000 plus tax to change the fuse, and then it might blow again since nobody knows why it went in the first place. And yes I have pictures, I'm holding the damn blown fuse in my hand right now. It was not easy to get.
Last edited by brycenesbitt on Wed May 17, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjeff
Posts: 1363
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: 30,000 mile checkup on Leaf: recommended repairs $11053.88

Wed May 17, 2017 2:37 pm

SageBrush wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of a pair of well insulated, microwavable soft boots or slippers.
Perhaps like this: https://www.amazon.com/Upper-Canada-Soa ... ot+warmers

Interesting, I have a couple neck warmers that use rice and you microwave them. They hold heat for quite some time, maybe 30 min?? although thats in the warmth of a 65 degree house, not sure how long they'd stay in a cold car...
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

RonDawg
Posts: 2633
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: 30,000 mile checkup on Leaf: recommended repairs $11053.88

Wed May 17, 2017 4:21 pm

DNAinaGoodWay wrote:You could buy another used 2011 for a parts car and have money left over.


For $11k you could buy another, newer, Leaf with more capacity left and nothing broken.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”