edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Re: Project: Destroy my Battery

Thu May 25, 2017 12:41 pm

eatsleafsandshoots wrote:I just try to beat the **** out of this thing and see if I can get a new battery before my 8 years is up?

...Any downsides to my plan?... (to) just try to beat the **** out of this thing and see if I can get a new battery before my 8 years is up?...

The present (discounted) cost to Nissan to exchange a LEAF pack some ~eight years in the future is probably well under $1,000.

Your time and efforts probably would be more highly compensated in some other activity for which you have sufficient skills.

Picking up recyclable cans and bottles along roadsides, for example...
no condition is permanent

eatsleafsandshoots
Delivery Date: 16 Oct 2013

Thu May 25, 2017 12:51 pm

Haha yes now I'm a homeless person. C'mon, call me a Nazi. You know you want to.

As a homeless, thieving Nazi, I hearby apologize for creating a clickbait title for the smooth brained and EXTREMELY angry denizens of this forum. Thanks to the folks who chose not to randomly insult me.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Thu May 25, 2017 2:00 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
eatsleafsandshoots wrote:I don't mean to imply I'm going to intentionally damage it! I just want to drive it constantly - I love to drive, and I live awhile aways from work so I can put SERIOUS mileage on with QC at work and L2 at home.

In that case you may want to edit the title. ;-)

After reading through this thread, I agree with Leftie. Your intentions are fine - use the car as much as you can. The title is misleading and obviously hit a few nerves. The attacks are uncalled for, especially after you explained what your intent is.

I see nothing wrong with your plan. Nissan sold you a car. You should be allowed to drive it. Quick charge it if you need to. Nissan expects the battery to last 8 years / 100k miles. We shouldn't have to baby these cars. They are there to serve us, not the other way around. Drive it, charge it, enjoy it. If your battery fails within warranty, you get a new one and keep on keeping on.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

Hoshnasi
Delivery Date: 22 May 2017

Thu May 25, 2017 2:11 pm

I'll be a new owner of a used Leaf here shortly. I don't have issue per-say with anything you plan on doing with your property. I would however remind everyone that Nissan has, at least from my POV been trying to maintain goodwill with Leaf customers. By swapping out defective batteries, in some cases after the warranty has expired and for others, provided what seems to be a pretty good subsidy on battery replacements.

When they (Nissan) see things like this -and lets not fool ourselves someone from Nissan will see this. We are figuratively shooting that Goodwill in the face.
2013 SL, 06/2013 service date: AHr 43.27, SOH 66%, 9 bars

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Thu May 25, 2017 2:52 pm

rmay635703 wrote:Volt drivers never have to worry about any of this nonsense,

Just drive the car how you need to, to get where you gotta go

As do the VAST majority of LEAF drivers.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

JimSouCal

Thu May 25, 2017 3:01 pm

eatsleafsandshoots wrote:Haha yes now I'm a homeless person. C'mon, call me a Nazi. You know you want to.

As a homeless, thieving Nazi, I hearby apologize for creating a clickbait title for the smooth brained and EXTREMELY angry denizens of this forum. Thanks to the folks who chose not to randomly insult me.
This reply actually gave me a chuckle...hope that at least some degree of levity was the intention...

I was actually thinking you were going to set your traction battery back on fire, kind of like some folks did with scrap magnesium VW engine blocks on empty beaches....this is a tough place; but as far as random insults go, the aforementioned were pretty lightweight...

Have fun with your car.... hills do the most between QCs..

Scaramanga
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 308884

Thu May 25, 2017 3:42 pm

eatsleafsandshoots wrote:LOL, you people are ridiculous. You hope Nissan figures what out? That I used QC a lot and tried to put as many spirited miles on my car as I can?

Warranties cover manufacturer defects, geniuses. Products that are "intentionally abused" aren't covered by a warranty - by definition, if Mr. Air Jordans got his shoes replaced under warranty, Nike agreed that the product had a defect. Good lord.

Is all this anger because of the pent-up rage at having to baby your batteries?

1) Do whatever lets you sleep at night. I could care less.

2) I thought I knew how warranties work, but thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like you think poking holes in your air soles to fake a return is cool as well, but that fits.

3) I'm not a card carrying member of Mensa but I keep scoring 145+, maybe I should join? Do tell.

4) Neither angry nor babying my battery(s)

5) You're officially on 'ignore'.

:)
2016 SL Premium - Gunmetal Grey, built 2/2016
2014 S w/ QC - Cayenne Red, built 1/2014
EVSE: ChargePoint 25 32A Plug-In w/ 18' Cord
ELM 327 / LeafSpy Pro
'06 Sentra Compact Spare / Jack
Renault Tow Hook

2016 Murano SL AWD
VW / Audi / Volvo ex-aficionado

Scaramanga
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 308884

Thu May 25, 2017 4:19 pm

edatoakrun wrote:
eatsleafsandshoots wrote:I just try to beat the **** out of this thing and see if I can get a new battery before my 8 years is up?

...Any downsides to my plan?... (to) just try to beat the **** out of this thing and see if I can get a new battery before my 8 years is up?...

The present (discounted) cost to Nissan to exchange a LEAF pack some ~eight years in the future is probably well under $1,000.

Your time and efforts probably would be more highly compensated in some other activity for which you have sufficient skills.

Picking up recyclable cans and bottles along roadsides, for example...

LOL, well played.
2016 SL Premium - Gunmetal Grey, built 2/2016
2014 S w/ QC - Cayenne Red, built 1/2014
EVSE: ChargePoint 25 32A Plug-In w/ 18' Cord
ELM 327 / LeafSpy Pro
'06 Sentra Compact Spare / Jack
Renault Tow Hook

2016 Murano SL AWD
VW / Audi / Volvo ex-aficionado

2k1Toaster
Delivery Date: 12 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 420903

Thu May 25, 2017 5:12 pm

powersurge wrote:I once had a work buddy who proudly described how every year he would buy a power washer on Friday, wash his house and stuff all weekend long, and then return it on Monday, saying it didn't work right.... So he would wash his house every year for free.... And who would pay for that?? US.... The consumer.

You guys who are proudly shooting your mouths about PLANNING to abuse your cars and the hope to get free rewards in the future fall into the neighborhood of low life consumers.... I hate them and am repulsed by them. You can't backpedal and say, "oh.. I just want to use the car normally".

I hope Nissan has some spies on this site that can identify yooz..

I never said I'm planning on making Nissan pay for a battery. When it fails, I replace it.

But devil's advocate, if Nissan delivers a car with certain specs, it should meet those specs and be fully warranted while driving within Nissan's limits.

I could light the Leaf on fire tomorrow, I don't care about its long term health and nobody else will ever drive it. I add vehicles, I don't trade them.
2013 Nissan Leaf SV with every option
2013 Prius C Package 4
2012 Lexus RX450h
2006 Prius Gen II, pIV
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Prelude SH
1981 DeLorean DMC12
and more...

johnlocke
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300582

Thu May 25, 2017 7:20 pm

Only problem with your plan is the actual Nissan warranty. To have the battery replaced you have to lose more than 3 bars. That could end up being as low as 50% of original capacity. I have 27000 miles on my 2016. It has an SOH of 82% and the first bar comes and goes daily. 11 bars to start after a full charge and full bars after 20-30 minutes of driving. The first bar stays lit the rest of the day. It gets an L2 charge every day whenever I get home just in case I have to go somewhere else later. I drive about 60 miles a day on average. I don't abuse the battery but I don't baby it either. It gets an L3 charge when necessary to finish my errands and sits overnight either charging or with a full charge depending on when I get home.
2016 SV
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”