Possible to reprogram cigarette lighter plug to stay active?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sterlinggold

I'd like to leave a dashcam in motion sensor mode so wondering if possible to enable the lighter plug to remain always on, Is that possible somehow?

I doubt it can be "reprogrammed", but you could run a fused wire from the battery or another "always hot" lead, to your cigarette lighter and than it would always be on.

sterlinggold said:
I'd like to leave a dashcam in motion sensor mode so wondering if possible to enable the lighter plug to remain always on, Is that possible somehow?
I've kind of wished to run a battery tender to the aux plug, but as you note, toggles off on powerdown, but for your purpose, wouldn't a lower rated fused supply be maybe safer better... ?

You should wire a battery tender to the battery. But you can run your always-on dash cam from the OBD port, which has both switched and non-switched 12V. You can even buy a dedicated OBD to micro USB adapter for exactly this purpose.

I installed a camera and attached it to the bottom of the rear view mirror with double faced tape. In doing so, I was able to use the 12v power up top that is there for the homelink mirror. It worked well...

Staque said:
You should wire a battery tender to the battery. .
Any specific reason? Don't want to hijack the thread, but on my sports car, the OEM tender float charger sends the trickle charge through the lighter plug that is always on...it's very easy to plug and unplug, etc. And is properly fused... So not arguing with you, but wondering what the reasoning is to wire to the battery... On the LEAF, I just use a CTEK with clips, but involves raising the hood, etc.... I have been tempted to wire a harness that came with the CTEK to the battery, but haven't gotten around to it...

BTW, using the power from the remote in the mirror for a camera seems like a good idea as long as the small draw doesn't drain the 12V. Should be a way to turn it off if one so desires?

RE the CTEK - I have it also and hardwired the harness to the battery - makes it really easy to charge and it's totally secure for when I leave it plugged in for weeks at a time.

Staque said:
You should wire a battery tender to the battery. But you can run your always-on dash cam from the OBD port, which has both switched and non-switched 12V. You can even buy a dedicated OBD to micro USB adapter for exactly this purpose.

Great idea on tapping 12v from OBD port. I already have it routed to the center with a power switch (to get the ODB Bluetooth adapter away from my shins)
Looks like it's only a DIY project, could not find a product converting ODB male to female lighter socket.

I considered this with a standard mini fuse tap for a USB port, but have already experienced the effects of the "weak" 12v charging system in this car, between maintenance charging and ultimately changing the main 12v battery at a relatively young age.

I'm not sure I'd have a continuous load attached if I was going to leave the car for any length of time. I was having issues after a weekend of non-driving!

Back