groingo
Delivery Date: 04 Mar 2017

Re: After 2 weeks with a Bolt, here's everything I miss about the Leaf

Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:15 pm

I managed to get a Bolt for part of a day and found it to very confined inside compared to my Leaf....from the narrow seats.....in fact the interior was cramped compared to the Leaf and I am only 5'7.
Power and acceleration and hill climbing were much better than the Leaf mainly because the Bolt has a mich bigger motor.
Cornering in the Bolt was good but not as good as the Leaf which feels much more planted.
Exterior fit and finish of the Bolt was sloppy with mis aligned doors, hood and non uniform gaps all around.
The Bolt is quite small....only ten inches longer than my 98 Geo Metro 2 door.
Visibility is pretty much the same with A pillars and side pillars taking some getting used too as they block a lot of visibility.

Would I consider a Bolt....in a word no, as I think Nissan is much more serious about electric than GM.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:48 pm

It seems to me the Bolt was designed with one and basically only one thing in mind, RANGE.
Not that range isn't important, but if I'm going to be paying $30k+ for a vehicle, I'd want something more than a $15k ICE could do with a full tank of gas......well I suppose a $15k ICE wouldn't have the acceleration and power as the Bolt and the Bolt probably has lots of bells and whistles a $15k ICE won't have but again from my little experience with the Bolt is it's basically that $15k ICE thats an EV and since I don't currently really need the range, I'll stick with my Leaf and be happier driving it :)
I do wish Chevy luck with the Bolt, IMO the more options in EV available the better, but I just don't see me driving one in the foreseeable future.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

ElectricMonkey
Delivery Date: 16 Aug 2014

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:42 am

groingo wrote:I managed to get a Bolt for part of a day and found it to very confined inside compared to my Leaf....from the narrow seats.....in fact the interior was cramped compared to the Leaf and I am only 5'7.
Power and acceleration and hill climbing were much better than the Leaf mainly because the Bolt has a much bigger motor.
Cornering in the Bolt was good but not as good as the Leaf which feels much more planted.
Exterior fit and finish of the Bolt was sloppy with mis aligned doors, hood and non uniform gaps all around.
The Bolt is quite small....only ten inches longer than my 98 Geo Metro 2 door.
Visibility is pretty much the same with A pillars and side pillars taking some getting used too as they block a lot of visibility.

Would I consider a Bolt....in a word no, as I think Nissan is much more serious about electric than GM.

I'm 5'10", medium build, and I don't find the Bolt cramped at all. In fact, to me, it feels more roomy than the Leaf did. It is 11 inches shorter, but it basically feels like the same size car, with more interior space because it's taller.

Regarding the "narrow seats", it's the cushions on the sides that people complain about, I think. I've read people saying that they dig into the sides of their butt. The thing is, the distance between those cushions is set up such that it gets wider towards the front of the seat, and narrower towards the back, so I would guess that the intention was to accommodate different butt sizes based on how far forward (or away from the backrest) you sit, and that makes sense to me. If I sit very upright, and force my lower back right up against the backrest, I can sort of feel the side cushions a bit more, like people say. If I assume a more relaxed posture, with my lower back further from the backrest, the seat feels much wider, and, in fact, those side cushions fit so perfectly that they form almost a custom seat. For people who can't find the right seating position for comfort, I would assume that simply inserting a lower back pillow would solve the "narrow seat" issue by moving them forward a bit.

Regarding fit, finish, and trim, I took some EV owners from work for a ride, and the general comments were that it was pretty nice. They liked the trim.

As for bells and whistles, having Apple Carplay is pretty nice. It interfaces with Music and Maps pretty easily, and even displays some of my notifications, like "hey, you have a 10am meeting". It's nice being able to be completely hands free.

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:30 pm

You forgot the wonderful color selection available and the oh-so-styin' Nissan signature headlights :mrgreen:

Personally, I love my Leaf. I've only had it for about 18 hours but it fits great (I'm 6'4"), my commute is 10 miles and I live in a town that is about 5 miles from end to end. I wouldn't recommend it to my cousin in Wyoming who carries coolers in his car for the weekly trip to the grocery store but for me, it's perfect. Good luck with the Bolt. Hopefully GM got it right this time.

joeriv

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:57 pm

Took a Bolt for a test ride and was impressed with the power - easy to spin the wheels. I found the center console distracting - very busy. The seat was OK for me. Liquid cooled battery also a very compelling feature.

Range of course wonderful but for me not a key selling point - my "trip car" is a Lexus ES350 so only need a "local" car. Considering Bolt MSRP around $40,000, a Leaf around low 30s with a 40 kw pack would be ideal.

A total guess but I suspect a Gen 2 Leaf S with a 30 kw pack with MSRP in the low 30s would be the base car.
2017 Leaf S with QC, JUN mfg date

DNAinaGoodWay
Delivery Date: 03 Dec 2012
Leaf Number: 23156

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:35 pm

Well, I've only had the Bolt for four days, and haven't even returned the Leaf yet, but already I'm going to miss it. Sure it's a first gen car, but it was the best EV I could afford at the time. I was lucky enough to be able to easily integrate a short range EV into my life and neither vehicle ever gave me a problem. I never saw a turtle. Only once, in a wild blizzard, was I worried enough to seek a station to ensure I'd make it home. But that was part of the game. And although I thought it would end sooner, that stage is finally over. Now 60 kWh cars are affordable and we're moving on. We're actually talking about the elimination of ICE. That's a giant leap.
'12 SL last reading @ 2 yr, 22k, 260 GIDs, 62.35 Ahr

'15 SV w/QC, Mfd 5/14, Leased 8/14, 292 GIDs, 64.38 Ahr when new
@ 36 months, 34k, 270 GID, 57.49 Ahr

'17 Bolt LT

6.72 kW Array

DNAinaGoodWay

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:43 pm

A week and a half in and what I miss most about the Leaf is the built in nav, bad as it was sometimes. Up in the mountains, Apple maps goes blank. Had to break out the ancient Garmin.

'17 Bolt LT

6.72 kW Array

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:15 am

DNAinaGoodWay wrote:A week and a half in and what I miss most about the Leaf is the built in nav, bad as it was sometimes. Up in the mountains, Apple maps goes blank. Had to break out the ancient Garmin.

Perhaps use Google Maps and download the region for offline access? Then it won't ever "go blank". When we were vacationing in UT/CO last year, I had both states saved offline. As it is, I have parts of NH, NY, and VT saved offline for when I travel across them.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:15 am

DNAinaGoodWay wrote:A week and a half in and what I miss most about the Leaf is the built in nav, bad as it was sometimes. Up in the mountains, Apple maps goes blank. Had to break out the ancient Garmin.

Same here. I also enjoyed being able to flip to a map, even when not navigating. On the Bolt, I'd need to fish out my phone and plug it in - something I don't do in normal daily driving.

I also miss being able to see battery temperature on the dash. The Bolt doesn't tell me at all. Yes, I know it has a TMS system, but it would be nice to have the information even if it was buried under a menu or two.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

DNAinaGoodWay

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:46 am

It would be good to know pack temp just in case of malfunctions.

I also miss seeing cell voltages via LeafSpy. AFAIK there's no BoltSpy.

And when the map is up, you lose the outside temp display.

'17 Bolt LT

6.72 kW Array

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”