DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 11958
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Highest Battery Replacement Cost

Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:11 am

What is the MOST anyone has paid to replace a 24 kwh traction battery pack over the past year?

Interested in the price of the pack but if you have a breakdown (install, etc. ) that would be nice as well.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30 (build 10/2016); 22,003 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 101.21% kwh 28.1 QCs 190, L2's 213
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BiggieJohn
Gold Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:43 am
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 019136

Re: Highest Battery Replacement Cost

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:27 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:What is the MOST anyone has paid to replace a 24 kwh traction battery pack over the past year?

Interested in the price of the pack but if you have a breakdown (install, etc. ) that would be nice as well.


retail price of a new battery is $6500 delivered to a dealer. - $1000 "core charge" when the old batteyr is returned by a delaer

$250 for the adapter harness required for 2011/2012/Q1-2013 cars
$550 shop labor (standard rates quoted by Nissan)


so about $6300 is you are paying cash to replace an early model
2012 SL Nissan Leaf Glacier White #019136
2015 Chevy Volt summit white #07978

ENIAC
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224
Location: Sun Diego, CA USA

Re: Highest Battery Replacement Cost

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:40 am

We hear of Nissan corporate one-off discounts of ~50% for out of warranty battery replacement. I wonder if those days are over now that AESC is being sold to the Chinese company GSR Capital. Under GSR Capital will AESC even continue to manufacture the old 24 kwh packs? Perhaps another 3rd party will step in and offer an aftermarket pack, who knows....
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 11958
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Highest Battery Replacement Cost

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:58 pm

BiggieJohn wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:What is the MOST anyone has paid to replace a 24 kwh traction battery pack over the past year?

Interested in the price of the pack but if you have a breakdown (install, etc. ) that would be nice as well.


retail price of a new battery is $6500 delivered to a dealer. - $1000 "core charge" when the old batteyr is returned by a delaer

$250 for the adapter harness required for 2011/2012/Q1-2013 cars
$550 shop labor (standard rates quoted by Nissan)


so about $6300 is you are paying cash to replace an early model


Is that what you paid? I know what its supposed to be. Only interested in what people have actually paid.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30 (build 10/2016); 22,003 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 101.21% kwh 28.1 QCs 190, L2's 213
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warrenc
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:33 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2017
Leaf Number: 418438
Location: Tacoma,WA

Re: Highest Battery Replacement Cost

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:10 pm

ENIAC wrote:We hear of Nissan corporate one-off discounts of ~50% for out of warranty battery replacement. I wonder if those days are over now that AESC is being sold to the Chinese company GSR Capital. Under GSR Capital will AESC even continue to manufacture the old 24 kwh packs? Perhaps another 3rd party will step in and offer an aftermarket pack, who knows....

I have been very curious about how this will play out. I'm sure there are plenty of battery packs already made, but who will make them in the future and what will Nissan do about our first Gen cars? In a very short time, we are going to have a lot of them that will need a replacement or they will end up in the scrap yards.
If my range doesn't diminish, I could use my car for the foreseeable future since I plan to retire in a couple years. By that time there should at least some affordable used alternatives I suppose, but my Leaf will probably be worth less than the tires I just put on it!
2013 Leaf SV
Tacoma, WA

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 11958
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Highest Battery Replacement Cost

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:19 pm

warrenc wrote:
ENIAC wrote:We hear of Nissan corporate one-off discounts of ~50% for out of warranty battery replacement. I wonder if those days are over now that AESC is being sold to the Chinese company GSR Capital. Under GSR Capital will AESC even continue to manufacture the old 24 kwh packs? Perhaps another 3rd party will step in and offer an aftermarket pack, who knows....

I have been very curious about how this will play out. I'm sure there are plenty of battery packs already made, but who will make them in the future and what will Nissan do about our first Gen cars? In a very short time, we are going to have a lot of them that will need a replacement or they will end up in the scrap yards.
If my range doesn't diminish, I could use my car for the foreseeable future since I plan to retire in a couple years. By that time there should at least some affordable used alternatives I suppose, but my Leaf will probably be worth less than the tires I just put on it!


I visited the battery plant in Opama and the modules are simply a questions of layers of anode, cathode, electrolyte. SEVERAL layers in fact so its all about the modules. Creating a 24 kwh pack is no more difficult than probably selecting a few different buttons. I am guessing its not that difficult to switch from one pack to the other. I am sure there is a lot more to it than what I am portraying here
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30 (build 10/2016); 22,003 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 101.21% kwh 28.1 QCs 190, L2's 213
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BiggieJohn
Gold Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:43 am
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 019136

Re: Highest Battery Replacement Cost

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:39 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
BiggieJohn wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:What is the MOST anyone has paid to replace a 24 kwh traction battery pack over the past year?

Interested in the price of the pack but if you have a breakdown (install, etc. ) that would be nice as well.


retail price of a new battery is $6500 delivered to a dealer. - $1000 "core charge" when the old batteyr is returned by a delaer

$250 for the adapter harness required for 2011/2012/Q1-2013 cars
$550 shop labor (standard rates quoted by Nissan)


so about $6300 is you are paying cash to replace an early model


Is that what you paid? I know what its supposed to be. Only interested in what people have actually paid.


An owner on the LEAF Facebook owner group was out of warranty and posted his service invoice, it showed these prices, and the discount applied by Nissan since he was <60K miles, but just past 5 years
2012 SL Nissan Leaf Glacier White #019136
2015 Chevy Volt summit white #07978

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 11958
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Highest Battery Replacement Cost

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:53 pm

BiggieJohn wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
BiggieJohn wrote:
retail price of a new battery is $6500 delivered to a dealer. - $1000 "core charge" when the old batteyr is returned by a delaer

$250 for the adapter harness required for 2011/2012/Q1-2013 cars
$550 shop labor (standard rates quoted by Nissan)


so about $6300 is you are paying cash to replace an early model


Is that what you paid? I know what its supposed to be. Only interested in what people have actually paid.


An owner on the LEAF Facebook owner group was out of warranty and posted his service invoice, it showed these prices, and the discount applied by Nissan since he was <60K miles, but just past 5 years


IOW, what you posted is not what he paid. Not interested in anything here but the actual dollars and cents paid out for a pack.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30 (build 10/2016); 22,003 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 101.21% kwh 28.1 QCs 190, L2's 213
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ENIAC
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224
Location: Sun Diego, CA USA

Re: Highest Battery Replacement Cost

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:14 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:I visited the battery plant in Opama and the modules are simply a questions of layers of anode, cathode, electrolyte. SEVERAL layers in fact so its all about the modules. Creating a 24 kwh pack is no more difficult than probably selecting a few different buttons. I am guessing its not that difficult to switch from one pack to the other. I am sure there is a lot more to it than what I am portraying here

Okay, however not being difficult to produce doesn't mean they'll actually produce them. It's about profits, not about the difficulty to produce. If there's more profit producing some other batteries that fills their manufacturing capacity I suspect they would rather produce those batteries instead.
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

warrenc
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:33 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2017
Leaf Number: 418438
Location: Tacoma,WA

Re: Highest Battery Replacement Cost

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:13 pm

It would be nice to see some actual prices paid for a new battery pack. We know you are out there!
2013 Leaf SV
Tacoma, WA

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”