Houston Calling: Driving the Leaf or Volt in Deep Water (A Harvey Thing)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrodog

Well technically I live in Friendswood, which is a bit SE of Houston. More or less between Houston and Galveston. We are on the third night of rain and it looks like this will be just as notable as the previous two. Saturday night the water came up in my yard halfway. Last night, not so bad. So far, over the last two days, I've had to go run some errands and help others. I've not driven through anything deeper than curb height or just a bit over. The leaf doesn't have an air intake so it won't really flood out, but electricity and water aren't the best combination. So is there any known limitation there with either of my two cars (2015 Leaf S and 2016 Volt Premier) and going through water like that?

On the ironic side, The Hummers are well suited for this weather. Maybe it was all a conspiracy to cause global warming to drive up the demand for the big azz trucks. :shock:

Anyway, my only other options are a Subaru 2003 WRX and an Outback (Hobie, not Subaru). The WRX isn't dependable right now and the kayak doesn't handle non-aquatic areas very well.

Any insight or information on this would be appreciated. I'm sure that more appropriate vehicles will be difficult to find in the immediate future.

Oh, and on a secondary note, I'd suggest not buying used cars from Houston in the next few months.

retrodog said:
Well technically I live in Friendswood, which is a bit SE of Houston. More or less between Houston and Galveston. We are on the third night of rain and it looks like this will be just as notable as the previous two. Saturday night the water came up in my yard halfway. Last night, not so bad. So far, over the last two days, I've had to go run some errands and help others. I've not driven through anything deeper than curb height or just a bit over. The leaf doesn't have an air intake so it won't really flood out, but electricity and water aren't the best combination. So is there any known limitation there with either of my two cars (2015 Leaf S and 2016 Volt Premier) and going through water like that?

On the ironic side, The Hummers are well suited for this weather. Maybe it was all a conspiracy to cause global warming to drive up the demand for the big azz trucks. :shock:

Anyway, my only other options are a Subaru 2003 WRX and an Outback (Hobie, not Subaru). The WRX isn't dependable right now and the kayak doesn't handle non-aquatic areas very well.

Any insight or information on this would be appreciated. I'm sure that more appropriate vehicles will be difficult to find in the immediate future.

Oh, and on a secondary note, I'd suggest not buying used cars from Houston in the next few months.
Nothing on the Volt but this video was posted by Nissan although be it some time ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvp6pc9D2sU

ElectricEddy said:
retrodog said:

Nothing on the Volt but this video was posted by Nissan although be it some time ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvp6pc9D2sU
Nice. Thanks for posting that. Pretty impressive indeed. I wonder if there was a specific reason they ran it so fast through there, other than trying to keep the water out of the cabin. My concern would be the risk of floating it and losing control at that point.

With a crazy rain that we had on August 5th, the water got up to the bottom of the car, but was not high enough to "enter" through the doors. My wife caught the flood in the nick of time and moved the car to higher ground. Water did not enter the car when the door was opened, but later the car had a bit of water on the carpets. We removed the seats and carpets and found there is lots of space to hide more water underneath. We vacuumed out the water and let it dry out with fans and a dehumidifier and all is well. I am sure if we did not remove the carpet the car would have taken a long time to dry and had a moldy smell.

I recall seeing a video of the Gen 1 Volt in deep water testing as well. I don't know that I ever saw anything on a Gen 2, but can't believe there would be anything significantly different.

"On the ironic side, The Hummers are well suited for this weather. Maybe it was all a conspiracy to cause global warming to drive up the demand for the big azz trucks. "

On the news last night I saw a big Hummer stranded in the middle of a flooded road with water up to it's door sills. Only vehicle out there, no stranded stranded Leafs in sight.

LKK said:
On the news last night I saw a big Hummer stranded in the middle of a flooded road with water up to it's door sills. Only vehicle out there, no stranded stranded Leafs in sight.
I guess the fellow should have paid extra for the fording kit. ;)

Back