LeftieBiker
Posts: 7205
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 2018 leaf analog speedometer . Whadayathink?

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:57 pm

OrientExpress wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote: Here's a question for you: will Pro Park be added as a software upgrade next year, or will 2018 Leaf drivers be 'orphans' who will never get it?


I don't know yet, but the pro parking will probably need some additional hardware.


If Nissan orchestrated that August leak, they will regret it. $900 for the Tech package looked like a bargain then. $2200 for it without Pro Park looks more like a ripoff. Why would anyone buy a 2018 when the 2019 will have it?
Last edited by LeftieBiker on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

RonDawg
Posts: 2696
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: 2018 leaf analog speedometer . Whadayathink?

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:34 pm

TomT wrote:Seriously? That's their reason? I can't remember ever gauging acceleration by watching a speedometer! And I'd be fearful of anyone who was rather than watching the road!

I was, at first, strongly in the analog speedometer camp, but after years of driving cars with digital speedometers, I have reversed my opinion and now prefer digital. I have found it is actually faster and easier to interpret than an analog display.


Having had both, I'll disagree with you. Analog-style speedometers are much easier to read. I much prefer the one on my eGolf to the one the Leaf had.

The top of my eGolf's speedo is 50 MPH; so as long as I can see the needle is at the 12 o'clock position, I know I'm going 50, or approximately 50. It's so ingrained in my brain that when I get into my Golf Alltrack, with an identical dashboard, I have to be careful because the 12 o'clock position on that car's speedometer is actually 80, not 50.

If you noticed, a lot of high end cars now have faux analog gauges that are little more than a computer screen facsimile of the real thing. But the interface still looks (somewhat) analog. So the consumer preference seems to lean more towards analog (or at least analog-looking) than a full digital readout.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

LeftieBiker
Posts: 7205
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 2018 leaf analog speedometer . Whadayathink?

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:40 pm

The top of my eGolf's speedo is 50 MPH; so as long as I can see the needle is at the 12 o'clock position, I know I'm going 50, or approximately 50. It's so ingrained in my brain that when I get into my Golf Alltrack, with an identical dashboard, I have to be careful because the 12 o'clock position on that car's speedometer is actually 80, not 50.


This illustrates the difference between those who have to worry about one or two speed limits in regular driving, and those who have to deal with half a dozen of them. I liked analog car speedos while I used them, but after a few years of the high-mounted digital readout, I have zero desire to go back.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

wtdedula
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:30 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Sep 2017

Re: 2018 leaf analog speedometer . Whadayathink?

Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:50 pm

I just saw this thread and want to respond to give my thoughts.

I think the analog speedometer sucks. I was really stressing over this for the month prior to the 2018 Leaf announcement.

I really liked the digital speedometer in the previous generation Leaf. Plus it looks really wierd to throw in a single analog guage to the right of an all-digital display. I don't know what Nissan was thinking about.

I consider the digital speedometer to be a status symbol of a car which is otherwise loaded with high-tech features.

For this reason, I will likely not purchase the 2018 Leaf but instead will purchase a used previous generation Leaf in the hopes that Nissan will change back to all digital Speedometer in the 2019 or 2020 Leaf. I am also waiting for 2019 or 2020 too get the upgraded battery pack and upgraded ProPilot.

One thing Nissan could have done was to make the digital panel in the instrument all digital and this would have given them the option of displaying the speedometer in either digital or analog. It just looks cheezy for them to use a digital flat panel and then stick in an analog guage - why not ALL didital, Nissan ? Every other EV I have looked at has a digital Speedometer display.

Tim

LeftieBiker
Posts: 7205
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 2018 leaf analog speedometer . Whadayathink?

Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:52 pm

Yeah, we were assuming that it was all digital, and that we'd have the option of having a digital speedo displayed. The joke's on us.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 4487
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: 2018 leaf analog speedometer . Whadayathink?

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:14 pm

wtdedula wrote:I just saw this thread and want to respond to give my thoughts.

I think the analog speedometer sucks. I was really stressing over this for the month prior to the 2018 Leaf announcement.

I really liked the digital speedometer in the previous generation Leaf. Plus it looks really wierd to throw in a single analog guage to the right of an all-digital display. I don't know what Nissan was thinking about.

I consider the digital speedometer to be a status symbol of a car which is otherwise loaded with high-tech features.

For this reason, I will likely not purchase the 2018 Leaf but instead will purchase a used previous generation Leaf in the hopes that Nissan will change back to all digital Speedometer in the 2019 or 2020 Leaf. I am also waiting for 2019 or 2020 too get the upgraded battery pack and upgraded ProPilot.

One thing Nissan could have done was to make the digital panel in the instrument all digital and this would have given them the option of displaying the speedometer in either digital or analog. It just looks cheezy for them to use a digital flat panel and then stick in an analog guage - why not ALL didital, Nissan ? Every other EV I have looked at has a digital Speedometer display.

Tim


If it makes you feel any better, the speedo is still decoding digital CAN-bus data to obtain the speed. It's just moving a needle instead of painting digits.

If numerals are a must-have, maybe the next version can use these bad-boys to feel more "modern": ;)

Image
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

User avatar
jhm614
Forum Supporter
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:48 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000493
Location: Arlington, TX

Re: 2018 leaf analog speedometer . Whadayathink?

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:49 pm

Nubo wrote:If numerals are a must-have, maybe the next version can use these bad-boys to feel more "modern": ;)

Image


Now that is awesome! I'm total in for a Nixie speedometer! Would probably need a push button transmission to go with it, though...

Image
2011 Brilliant Silver SL - 110,000 gasoline free miles so far.
4BL: 06/29/13 @ 27 months, 43,520 miles, 42.56 Ahr. New 12 bar battery: 09/09/13
4BLx2:12/31/16 @ 69 months, 99,475 miles, 42.99 Ahr.

wtdedula
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:30 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Sep 2017

Re: 2018 leaf analog speedometer . Whadayathink?

Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Nubo wrote:
wtdedula wrote:I just saw this thread and want to respond to give my thoughts.

I think the analog speedometer sucks. I was really stressing over this for the month prior to the 2018 Leaf announcement.

I really liked the digital speedometer in the previous generation Leaf. Plus it looks really wierd to throw in a single analog guage to the right of an all-digital display. I don't know what Nissan was thinking about.

I consider the digital speedometer to be a status symbol of a car which is otherwise loaded with high-tech features.

For this reason, I will likely not purchase the 2018 Leaf but instead will purchase a used previous generation Leaf in the hopes that Nissan will change back to all digital Speedometer in the 2019 or 2020 Leaf. I am also waiting for 2019 or 2020 too get the upgraded battery pack and upgraded ProPilot.

One thing Nissan could have done was to make the digital panel in the instrument all digital and this would have given them the option of displaying the speedometer in either digital or analog. It just looks cheezy for them to use a digital flat panel and then stick in an analog guage - why not ALL didital, Nissan ? Every other EV I have looked at has a digital Speedometer display.

Tim


If it makes you feel any better, the speedo is still decoding digital CAN-bus data to obtain the speed. It's just moving a needle instead of painting digits.

If numerals are a must-have, maybe the next version can use these bad-boys to feel more "modern": ;)

Image


Then what's the point of changing back to analog? Why not stay digital and extend the flat panel display to include a digital (or analog) representation of a speedometer to make everyone happy? Every other EV that I've researched uses a digital speedometer. My wish still stands ... hopefully in the '19 model.

Funny :lol: but Interestingly, I used to play around with those "old" nixie tubes in the 70s when I was into Electronics. Just like the analog spedometer, they are 70-ish and they also would make the instrumentation look 70-ish.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 7205
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 2018 leaf analog speedometer . Whadayathink?

Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:36 pm

Nubo is just trying to make those of us who prefer digital displays look like Geeks and Nerds. He apparently only understand what he personally believes. What it comes down to for me is that having to look away from the road, down into an instrument well at an analog gauge, is worse and less safe than flicking my eyes to a high digital display and right back without having to lose sight of the road.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 4487
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: 2018 leaf analog speedometer . Whadayathink?

Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:27 pm

wtdedula wrote:Then what's the point of changing back to analog? Why not stay digital and extend the flat panel display to include a digital (or analog) representation of a speedometer to make everyone happy?


I imagine cost was one factor. Smaller displays are cheaper. But beyond that, digital panel displays can tend to get washed out in bright direct sunlight. The current LEAF digital speedo is therefore tightly cowled, but that is more difficult with a larger display.
And finally, Nissan claims this was chosen based on researching customer preferences, especially for giving a feel for acceleration and not just speed. Given the power bump, they may have wished to accentuate the better feeling of acceleration in the new model. A numeric speed doesn't convey that second-order information effectively.

Every other EV that I've researched uses a digital speedometer. My wish still stands ... hopefully in the '19 model.

Funny :lol: but Interestingly, I used to play around with those "old" nixie tubes in the 70s when I was into Electronics. Just like the analog spedometer, they are 70-ish and they also would make the instrumentation look 70-ish.


Fair enough.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”