kevintylernelson
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2014
Leaf Number: 7410

Re: 2018 leaf analog speedometer . Whadayathink?

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:40 am

Nubo wrote:In that movement lies superior accuracy. As you drive along with a "45" on your digital display, you are bouncing somewhere between the guardrails of 44 and 46, with no clue as to the magnitude and direction of drift. By the time you notice a change, I've already corrected. It's clearly visible whether the needle is at 45, or even tenth higher or lower, and the magnitude of any drift is apparent. Digits may be reassuring for people of a certain age, but they are not necessarily superior for every task. This is coming from someone with a 40 year career in I.T.. :)

I totally understand your point, the problem is that I would argue the vast majority of people do not care about the magnitude and direction of drift. This information only seems relevant if you are a mechanic or professional race car driver. The fact that I must continue to take my eyes off the road to see where a needle is pointing is way more dangerous than just glancing at a fixed digit that my brain understands instantly.

The funny thing is that this whole argument will be totally irrelevant when autonomous cars become the norm :lol:

desiv
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 018850

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:43 am

Got to drive the 2018 Leaf this weekend.
I must say. Nice car..
(Now, I'm still OK with my decision to go for a Bolt, but that was right for me..)

I really liked the dashboard driver's display, including the analog speedometer.
Maybe it's the old geezer in me (get off my lawn!!!), but I really liked the look, and it made me feel like I had a bit of a better feel for the acceleration and deceleration of the car...

If you get a chance to check out the new Leaf, you should...

desiv
2012 Leaf SL - Silver (gone - traded in)
2017 Bolt LT - Red

kevintylernelson
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2014
Leaf Number: 7410

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:04 am

desiv wrote:Got to drive the 2018 Leaf this weekend.
I must say. Nice car..
(Now, I'm still OK with my decision to go for a Bolt, but that was right for me..)

I really liked the dashboard driver's display, including the analog speedometer.
Maybe it's the old geezer in me (get off my lawn!!!), but I really liked the look, and it made me feel like I had a bit of a better feel for the acceleration and deceleration of the car...

If you get a chance to check out the new Leaf, you should...

desiv

I definitely plan on test driving it, but like you I won't be purchasing one either. I was one of the first people in line for the Model 3 preorder, so more than likely I'll be getting one when my current lease ends June 2018.. However, if that doesn't pan out for whatever reason, my choice will be for a 200+ EV. I test drove a Bolt about a month ago and it's a great car, definitely a contender as well. I really hope that one of these manufactures comes out with an SUV model by then though.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”