LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: 2018 leaf analog speedometer . Whadayathink?

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:33 pm

I think that in cases like that, they look at the surveys or comments, and then choose the ones they want to use as reasons for decisions already made.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:15 am

LeftieBiker wrote:I think that in cases like that, they look at the surveys or comments, and then choose the ones they want to use as reasons for decisions already made.

LOL. Maybe so.

Users here on MNL are only a tiny cross-section of Leaf drivers and we don't know what's on the minds of folks who considered and actually test drove a Leaf but then got something else. For all we know, people perceived the Gen 1 Leaf as "slow" due to the digital speedo. Nissan had digital speedos on cars long ago (e.g. mid-80s) when lots of other automakers were doing the same. I remember the '86 Maxima owned by a friend's parents had that along w/other fad (but actually cool) features for the time like synthesized voice for "your headlights are on", "right door is open", and a keypad on the outside to unlock the car.

2002 Maxima that I had didn't have any of the above, even as a choice on loaded one.

My 04 350Z did have the choice of a digital speedo but it was on the trip computer to the right of the driver. In front of the driver was 3 round gauge areas.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:26 am

cwerdna wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:I think that in cases like that, they look at the surveys or comments, and then choose the ones they want to use as reasons for decisions already made.

LOL. Maybe so.

Users here on MNL are only a tiny cross-section of Leaf drivers and we don't know what's on the minds of folks who considered and actually test drove a Leaf but then got something else. For all we know, people perceived the Gen 1 Leaf as "slow" due to the digital speedo. Nissan had digital speedos on cars long ago (e.g. mid-80s) when lots of other automakers were doing the same. I remember the '86 Maxima owned by a friend's parents had that along w/other fad (but actually cool) features for the time like synthesized voice for "your headlights are on", "right door is open", and a keypad on the outside to unlock the car.

2002 Maxima that I had didn't have any of the above, even as a choice on loaded one.

My 04 350Z did have the choice of a digital speedo but it was on the trip computer to the right of the driver. In front of the driver was 3 round gauge areas.

in the few screenshots I have seen showing both, they don't match so I will stick with the one. I am sure there is other stuff I'd rather have available anyway
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 5775 miles, 488 GIDs, 38 kwh 113.37 Ahr available, SOH 98.21, Hx 115.75
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wtdedula
Delivery Date: 10 Sep 2017

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:23 pm

Hi All;
I responded to this thread early but now after driving my 2015 Leaf for about 3 weeks, I'm going to add to my response. Nothing has changed since my initial response, except that I am even more pro-digital speedometer.

After coming from cars that exclusively had analog speedometers all my life and then coming to a Leaf which I've been driving for about 2 weeks, I can definitely say that I prefer the digital speedometer on my 2015 Leaf.

In the 2015 Leaf I know exactly what my speed is whereas on the old fashioned analog speedometer, I have to think sometimes what speed I'm at if I'm between numbers. I really do not understand why surveys would convince Nissan to go back to an Analog speedometer. Maybe these folks they were surveying never drove a car with a digital speedometer and only listed what they were familiar with (Analog).

I also can't understand why they would stick an ugly analog speedometer which doesn't even look like it fits there to the right of an all-digital instrument cluster. I would much rather have seen a full digital touch-screen instrument cluster - To me, that would be the ultimate status symbol in an all-electric car. Hoping Nissan gravitates to this in the next few years. If they had that, plus the 200+ mile battery, and a fully mature Pro-Pilot, I'd buy that car brand new in a heartbeat.

Tim

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:41 pm

wtdedula wrote:Hi All;
I responded to this thread early but now after driving my 2015 Leaf for about 3 weeks, I'm going to add to my response. Nothing has changed since my initial response, except that I am even more pro-digital speedometer.

After coming from cars that exclusively had analog speedometers all my life and then coming to a Leaf which I've been driving for about 2 weeks, I can definitely say that I prefer the digital speedometer on my 2015 Leaf.

In the 2015 Leaf I know exactly what my speed is whereas on the old fashioned analog speedometer, I have to think sometimes what speed I'm at if I'm between numbers. I really do not understand why surveys would convince Nissan to go back to an Analog speedometer. Maybe these folks they were surveying never drove a car with a digital speedometer and only listed what they were familiar with (Analog).

I also can't understand why they would stick an ugly analog speedometer which doesn't even look like it fits there to the right of an all-digital instrument cluster. I would much rather have seen a full digital touch-screen instrument cluster - To me, that would be the ultimate status symbol in an all-electric car. Hoping Nissan gravitates to this in the next few years. If they had that, plus the 200+ mile battery, and a fully mature Pro-Pilot, I'd buy that car brand new in a heartbeat.

Tim

Let's make a deal. I'll give you the digital speedo, if we can get rid of the stupid squared-off steering wheel. :lol:
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

kevintylernelson
Delivery Date: 03 May 2018
Leaf Number: 5698

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:13 am

wtdedula wrote:Hi All;

Tim

I couldn't agree more! When I first saw the analog speedometer, I laughed audibly at how bad of a decision it was. I'm sorry but after driving my Leaf for almost 4 years now, a digital readout is indescribably superior to an analog readout. I cannot stand driving friends or relatives vehicles with analog gauges now, it's just like what Tim stated above, you know your current speed instantly down to the single digit. It's the same as looking at a digital watch, you know the time instantaneously. Maybe we should get rid of calculators too and go back to the abacus? Do you guys not hear yourself's, "I know what my speed is because the needle is in "X" position...". Analog gauges have ALWAYS been a guessing game when that needle moves from one of the preset numbers.

brotherjethro
Delivery Date: 03 May 2017

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:11 am

When I test drove a 2018 for about 90 minutes, I liked the analog speedometer. While I did find that I somewhat missed the precision of the digital one, it didn't matter much to me. Also, the digital readout in my 2013 Leaf is located very high, where it is just visible in my peripheral vision when I'm looking at the road. The fact that it's a big lighted changing thing sometimes distracts me from the task of driving. The analog version doesn't have this issue.
2013 Pearl White SV, bought used in 2017 with only 5100 miles. Vancouver, WA.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:15 am

kevintylernelson wrote:...It's the same as looking at a digital watch, you know the time instantaneously. Maybe we should get rid of calculators too and go back to the abacus? Do you guys not hear yourself's, "I know what my speed is because the needle is in "X" position...". Analog gauges have ALWAYS been a guessing game when that needle moves from one of the preset numbers.

In that movement lies superior accuracy. As you drive along with a "45" on your digital display, you are bouncing somewhere between the guardrails of 44 and 46, with no clue as to the magnitude and direction of drift. By the time you notice a change, I've already corrected. It's clearly visible whether the needle is at 45, or even tenth higher or lower, and the magnitude of any drift is apparent. Digits may be reassuring for people of a certain age, but they are not necessarily superior for every task. This is coming from someone with a 40 year career in I.T.. :)
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

DaveinOlyWA

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:26 am

Nubo wrote:
kevintylernelson wrote:...It's the same as looking at a digital watch, you know the time instantaneously. Maybe we should get rid of calculators too and go back to the abacus? Do you guys not hear yourself's, "I know what my speed is because the needle is in "X" position...". Analog gauges have ALWAYS been a guessing game when that needle moves from one of the preset numbers.

In that movement lies superior accuracy. As you drive along with a "45" on your digital display, you are bouncing somewhere between the guardrails of 44 and 46, with no clue as to the magnitude and direction of drift. By the time you notice a change, I've already corrected. It's clearly visible whether the needle is at 45, or even tenth higher or lower, and the magnitude of any drift is apparent. Digits may be reassuring for people of a certain age, but they are not necessarily superior for every task. This is coming from someone with a 40 year career in I.T.. :)

+1

Despite the digital saying I am at a constant speed, I can frequently feel when my speed is increasing or decreasing along with trying to maintain that speed. So Digital is not what its all touted to be and the reality is you can get a smaller digital readout anyway.

But since I will be using ACC a lot, my speed is simply nonconsequential since my set speed is always displayed unlike my current "digital speedo" LEAF...
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 5775 miles, 488 GIDs, 38 kwh 113.37 Ahr available, SOH 98.21, Hx 115.75
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:26 am

Nubo wrote:

+1

Despite the digital saying I am at a constant speed, I can frequently feel when my speed is increasing or decreasing along with trying to maintain that speed. So Digital is not what its all touted to be and the reality is you can get a smaller digital readout anyway.

But since I will be using ACC a lot, my speed is simply nonconsequential since my set speed is always displayed unlike my current "digital speedo" LEAF...

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”