leaftryer

Question about buying older Leaf with degraded battery

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:00 pm

I know a retired person who needs a transportation car in the Los Angeles area to get groceries, visit the doctor and do various errands within a 20 mile range from home. They only have an 110V outlet to charge with and will not be able to afford getting a 220V outlet installed and then buying a 220V ESE.
I'm thinking a 2013 Leaf might be a good car for her, otherwise a 2011-2012 if she can't come up with enough money for even a bargain priced 2013. She cannot get financing.

If the car has a degraded battery showing less than 50 miles range, will it charge quickly to that range or will it take as long as charging a new battery to max capacity, but still only get this low range?

What kind of pricing in the LA area should we expect for a 2013 Leaf with typical mileage for that age? How about a 2012?

I don't think she will be able to deal with using public charging. If the car says it has 50 miles range, will it be safe to drive it 20 miles out from home and back (40 mile round trip) using the A/C or heat?

leaftryer

Re: Question about buying older Leaf with degraded battery

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:29 pm

I was also checking other used cars with under 100K miles under $7000 and these are what come up the most:

Ford Fiesta
Fiat 500/500e
Chevy Spark
Chevy Sonic
Chrysler 200
Nissan Versa

Nothing that looks particularly attractive or reliable.

There are some other random cars, but those seem to be the most widely available with that mileage and price.
If I start looking at cars with over 100K miles, then all kinds of other cars start showing up under $7K, but she will be killed with future repair costs.

The Leaf looks like the nicest, lowest mileage vehicle she could possibly get for under $7K, but the range restriction would be extremely limiting especially for someone who would not use public charging to extend the range. Getting a Leaf would save her a lot of hassles with repairs though since there should be little to go wrong except the major issue of maybe needing to replace the battery which would make a $7K car end up costing $14K after the cost of the battery swap and still then still only have less than 80 miles range.
If she can live with the short range and never replace the battery, then it could be bargain transportation.
Last edited by leaftryer on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:30 pm

Driving gently, 50 miles on the GOM should translate to 40 miles real world, with climate control, except in frigid weather. My main concern here is the quality of that 120 volt circuit - it has to be unused (except at most a light or two) and can't be really old wiring or an old outlet.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

leaftryer

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:38 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:Driving gently, 50 miles on the GOM should translate to 40 miles real world, with climate control, except in frigid weather. My main concern here is the quality of that 120 volt circuit - it has to be unused (except at most a light or two) and can't be really old wiring or an old outlet.

It would be in a garage that only has a washer and gas dryer and the garage door opener.
As long as the washing machine isn't in use, there should be nothing else on that circuit while charging.
The house is about 30 years old.

LeftieBiker

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm

The wiring situation isn't good. Even if the wiring isn't old aluminum, the garage door opener may well pull enough juice to overload the circuit while the car is charging, as would the washer. Check to see how many circuits the garage has, what is on each, and what kind of wiring is there. You don't want to put someone else's life and property in danger.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

leaftryer

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:58 pm

The garage door wouldn't normally be used while the car is charging because there is only one car that would be going in and out of the garage.
She can be instructed to not charge and do laundry at the same time. It would be easy to avoid those issues if the car can be set automatically charge late at night when nobody would be using the washer or opening the garage door.
It could also be set up to use the same physical outlet so the car cannot be charged unless the washer is unplugged from the outlet.

LeftieBiker

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:33 pm

That leaves the questionable state of the wiring itself.

leaftryer

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:50 pm

I haven't seen it, but I would think 1980's wiring is relatively modern as far as house wiring goes.

LeftieBiker

Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:19 pm

Any 30 year old circuit - especially the outlet - should be inspected before being used to charge, and the outlet should likely be replaced with a new one unless it was unused. Imagine running a 1200 watt electric heater, with no thermostat, continuously for up to 22 hours.

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:58 pm

I think it's fair to say that a Leaf would be too techie for many older people, although an S is definitely less so.

Might be worth considering a Fiat 500e, or a Smart Fortwo electric.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”