retrodog
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Operational Problems with Curt 56227 Hitch Wiring Kit

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:22 am

I installed a new Curt hitch 11396 last Friday night. That went pretty smooth, on my 2015 S Leaf. I spent part of Saturday morning installing the wiring kit 956227. Got it all from eTrailer. The wiring kit seems to be flaky. I have a new folding trailer from Harbor Freight with LED lights. I tested the lights pretty exetensively last week with a 12V source. They appear to work very well. Even measured the current for each line (Green, Yellow, and Brown). Each was pretty low drain.

So I finally hooked up the Curt interface to the trailer and initially I got turn signal response, but no running lights. Brakes were ok. Then I disconnected and reconnected. That second time I lost the turn signals and got running lights. So I did the reseating of the connector a third time and had everything but the running lights.

I disconnected everything and loaded the kayak up on the trailer to do a quick test run around the neighborhood and when I connected to the trailer again, I had running lights on all the time (whether the headlights were on or off), no right turn signal, and not sure about the brakes. I tried to cycle and reseat the connector a few times but made no difference. I finally disconnected the trailer and used the volt meter on the Curt connector. Voltages were consistant with what I was seeing on the trailer.

So did I get a defective interface? The connections must be good because all signals work properly on the car's lights, so that feed-thru cables are definitely connected correctly. I guess this is what I get for installing all the cover panels back in place.

ETA: I sent an email to eTrailer about the problem and they said they were going to contact Curt about it. I guess I'm waiting to hear something back, but just wanted to see if anybody else had experienced a similar problem and could shed some light on the whole deal.
President and only member of the Machine Gun Toting Electric Scooter Riders club, Texas chapter.

retrodog
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Re: Operational Problems with Curt 56227 Hitch Wiring Kit

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:58 am

Well the guys at eTRailer tell me that the unit isn't actually wired correctly for my vehicle and they said they are sending me a more intrusive version to replace it with. The follow-up from another person there stated that the current one had to be "uninstalled and in original condition" for the return. So that's interesting. Doesn't make much sense. Maybe it's just a form letter. I guess I'll have to wait and see how that goes. Or maybe I'll just take it to U-Haul and let them install a cable harness that works.

The guys at Curt said these units are perfect and they've never had a single report of the problem I'm experiencing. They also said that the LED lights on my trailer are not pulling enough current and I might have to add some load resistors in parallel, to keep the running lights from staying on all the time. They also suggested various ideas for debugging, including testing the right turn signal to verify that it was baking it to the box. I did the second last night and the turn signal is indeed making it to the control box. Although I had to use the needle trick to get inside the wire with minimum impact, which might void my warranty, I suppose.

What ever happened to the good old days when something was defective and they just replaced it?
President and only member of the Machine Gun Toting Electric Scooter Riders club, Texas chapter.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”