MyEVStats.com - Stats Tracker for Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkhilles

Hi everybody, I'm a new 2012 Leaf Owner (35k miles) : SV Model Black who bought super-cheap as a commuter vehicle. I'm a database/web developer by trade and absolutely love data, stats and analysis. That's why when I saw that LeafSpy Pro had a option to send data to an External Server, I was thrilled and knew I had to store every piece of data I could from the device. Then it occurred to me that I'd love to have data from other vehicles and over time should be able to make some analysis and answer questions: What mileage can you expect the battery life bars to decrease? How does temperature and altitude fit into the equation? How does the life of the battery for 2011 compare with 2013 and 2015. When do people get new batteries (based on an obvious jump from say 8 bars to 12 bars)?

So, here's what I've done and asking. I have a VERY basic and ugly stats site at MyEVStats.com that shows data for (at least right now) my vehicle. Whoo hoo, 277 whole miles tracked. LOL.

If you and others are interested in sending me your data (super easy, takes you 5 seconds), it will be an incentive for me to continue development of it (I can't really do analysis on 1 "point" of data) and will help me/us see patterns and differences to report on.

This is and always will be Free! I'm not looking for a financial gain here, I'm interested as my Leaf is my new hobby and occupies a lot of my attention.

If this is something you are interested in, it's super easy to do:

- Goto the Settings in LeafSpy Pro (no idea if lower versions have it)
- Check the "Enable" Box in the "Server" section
- Set the "Send Interval" to whatever you're interested in (I really don't need more frequently than 1 minute, but I'll take whatever data you send me)
- Make sure HTTP is checked (I'll work on getting an SSL certificate later if there's enough interest)
- For the URL enter "api.myevstats.com"

That's it! Once you are connected to the car, it should start sending my server points and you should see the # of Vehicles incremented in MyEVStats.com by one. If you don't see that data, post an update here or send me a message and I'll see what's going on.

I hope I'm not out of line in posting this, but I think it could be a very revealing set of data set for all of us. If you're concerned about who I am, you shouldn't be as I'm pretty much the only Kirk Hilles around. I'm an easy going guy, married with 2 kids and live in North GA and work in Chattanooga, TN.

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Hi Kirk,

I at least do not keep my OBDII dongle connected when I am driving -- call me superstitious.
I do think a data aggregation is a cool thought, but perhaps as a Google Sheet ?

People could periodically enter a line of data that includes
Car age
odometer
Ahrs
Zip code
L2 charges
DC charges

Once or twice yearly data inputs would not be a burden

SageBrush said:
Hi Kirk,

I at least do not keep my OBDII dongle connected when I am driving -- call me superstitious.
I do think a data aggregation is a cool thought, but perhaps as a Google Sheet ?

People could periodically enter a line of data that includes
Car age
odometer
Ahrs
Zip code
L2 charges
DC charges

Once or twice yearly data inputs would not be a burden

I'm sure that'd be a great idea. I've already built the tech because I like to personally track the # of miles per Month and want to monitor the SOCs and charging percent, etc over time. Right now I'm at 9 bars and it'll be interesting to see how long/how many miles it goes before each bar drop.

If no one is interested, that's okay, I won't be offended. I'm a data guy and have always kept my maintenance records in apps and such and look forward to calculate my fuel and hopefully repair/maintenance savings every month automatically.

You may wish to check out the battery warranty replacement threads, and in particular the thread that talks about Nissan financial participation for batteries that are out of warranty.

FYI -- the 9th capacity bar drops at ~ 42 - 43 Ahr

SageBrush said:
You may wish to check out the battery warranty replacement threads, and in particular the thread that talks about Nissan financial participation for batteries that are out of warranty.

Thanks! Good to know. I'm at 44 Amp Hrs right now.

I'm doubting the previous owners did proper battery checks, so even if I sneak in within the 60 months, I'm guessing Nissan will deny the claim. Oh well, that will be a separate thread :)

kirkhilles said:
SageBrush said:

Thanks! Good to know. I'm at 44 Amp Hrs right now.

I'm doubting the previous owners did proper battery checks, so even if I sneak in within the 60 months, I'm guessing Nissan will deny the claim. Oh well, that will be a separate thread :)
The battery checks are not a pre-requisite for anything -- Nissan just wants you to think that is the case.

Good to know on the Battery Checks, that's quite a relief.

So, I'll do more research on it, but what has been the typical offer that Nissan will make you (I presume if you call that support phone line) if they deny your claim? There's not much I can do to prepare or change whether my claim will wind up being accepted or rejected (once I get down to 8 bars), but I'd love to start thinking about whether its worth $X to replace the battery. Obviously, I'm not going to pay more than I paid for the car for a new battery, I'd just run it till I can't go anywhere anymore and scrap it. If Nissan covers 80%, then that would be very tempting to get that extra range and value.

Best to read the thread.
NIssan is not consistent, so all you can do is apply for assistance and see what happens.
There is a specific number to call.

My personal opinion is that Nissan is trying to shore up its image amongst LEAF owners ahead of the LEAF2 debut so your timing is good. You may well receive a 80:20 offer although dealerships have been variable in whether they charge you for the labor.

I just chatted with the Nissan EV program and they said that if my bar drops to 8 by October 1st (10 days!) I'll be covered. I asked what happens if it drops after the first and they said:

"Unfortunately, Nissan is no longer offering out of warranty assistance on LEAF batteries. We do have a program called Nissan Signature Direct which allows you to finance the cost of a new battery and make payments over time."

I guess I'll stop by the dealer either way (likely need a TSB for the grabby brakes at least) before then and see what they say. Maybe I'll luck out.

Looks like my data made it through, though the first few sends appeared to be giving me a SQL error on the insert, which might have been because I wasn't sending GPS data? I'm assuming a column wasn't set to allow nulls. Later on it started saying "Error 0 Status 0" instead so I'm assuming that really means "Success". Looks like 14 miles of my 18 mile commute are in there.

I'd love to see AHr as a function of model year and time. Overall efficiency maybe too (gids per mile). Pretty much whatever interesting comparisons you can come up with.

magico13 said:
Looks like my data made it through, though the first few sends appeared to be giving me a SQL error on the insert, which might have been because I wasn't sending GPS data? I'm assuming a column wasn't set to allow nulls. Later on it started saying "Error 0 Status 0" instead so I'm assuming that really means "Success". Looks like 14 miles of my 18 mile commute are in there.

I'd love to see AHr as a function of model year and time. Overall efficiency maybe too (gids per mile). Pretty much whatever interesting comparisons you can come up with.

Thanks! I've been refreshing and saw your data. I really appreciate it. Let me know if you get any more SQL errors: likely missing data or something I'm not accounting for.

I've added Amp Hours (you have a 2015, right?) so we can see averages and eventually as more data comes in from people be able to see a good trend.

jlv said:
I'll add my LEAF, but I won't be driving it again for a few days.

Thanks! That'd be a big help. Even if you can just have the LeafSpy Pro up while the vehicle is charging and/or On to send a single point, that'd be awesome.

kirkhilles said:
I just chatted with the Nissan EV program and they said that if my bar drops to 8 by October 1st (10 days!) I'll be covered. I asked what happens if it drops after the first and they said:

"Unfortunately, Nissan is no longer offering out of warranty assistance on LEAF batteries. We do have a program called Nissan Signature Direct which allows you to finance the cost of a new battery and make payments over time."

I guess I'll stop by the dealer either way (likely need a TSB for the grabby brakes at least) before then and see what they say. Maybe I'll luck out.
Never believe Nissan customer support. They have elevated "clueless" to a new level. When the 9th bar drops call the Tele # provided in the link I gave you.

Hey Kirk - cool idea, though I'd like to know more about the privacy aspects; I would rather not upload vin and location, just out of an abundance of caution. That's probably more of an issue on the LeafSpy side, in terms of what it reports to the server.

Anyway, as a fellow data-head, check out the spreadsheets in my sig. I've collected a lot of data on bar loss reports from these forums, and have nearly daily data for my car since I bought it 5 months ago though not all leafspy data is recorded in the spreadsheet. I could also share the leafspy logs directly with you (probably after scrubbing the sensitive data), if that can get manually massaged into your database.

FWIW I also asked Nissan about the out of warranty support and got the same answer: it was a program, now it's not.
"Signature Direct" sounds pretty fancy for a "yes, you can pay full price" program. :/

sandeen said:
Hey Kirk - cool idea, though I'd like to know more about the privacy aspects; I would rather not upload vin and location, just out of an abundance of caution. That's probably more of an issue on the LeafSpy side, in terms of what it reports to the server.

Anyway, as a fellow data-head, check out the spreadsheets in my sig. I've collected a lot of data on bar loss reports from these forums, and have nearly daily data for my car since I bought it 5 months ago though not all leafspy data is recorded in the spreadsheet. I could also share the leafspy logs directly with you (probably after scrubbing the sensitive data), if that can get manually massaged into your database.

Sure, I'd love to have whatever data you can give me. Send it over and I'll work on importing it in.

You definitely should be able to filter out co-ordinates from either the phone side or Leaf Spy side. In terms of the VIN, I definitely need SOMETHING to be able to identify each vehicle uniquely and the VIN seems the best way to do that. It's also a systematically easy way to get the year of the vehicle which will be important numbers to figure out.

Thanks!

sandeen said:
FWIW I also asked Nissan about the out of warranty support and got the same answer: it was a program, now it's not.
"Signature Direct" sounds pretty fancy for a "yes, you can pay full price" program. :/

Yeah, I'm sure I'll be finding out as there's no way I'll drop that 9th bar in the next week but should be well under the 60k mile mark when it finally does drop. I have no choice but to try, but I'm guessing I'm not going to be able to get anywhere.

Back