2018 Leaf final drive ratio

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groingo

The numbers I got from Nissan US were 8.193.....if so this will make a big difference in town and hilly driving combined with the higher h.p. and torque....hope the numbers are true.

Wikipedia (sourcing cars.com) says 2012 leaf was 7.94:1 I don't think Nissan has changed this at all for the 2011-2017 models.

The drive ratio doesn't really tell you much about motor performance on its own...

With a lower ratio you'll have less back EMF at higher speeds, so there's some efficiency gains to lowering the ratio.
With a higher ratio you'll have better low speed performance.
Both of these things are generalities. You can work around back EMF with some control techniques, you can beef up the stator windings to make motors have better low speed performance. It really comes down to how Nissan designed the inverter, what the allowed maximum torque is at all speeds, throttle response at 0, etc. I'm sure it's quite good.

As an example where drive ratio doesn't fit your metrics: I've broken traction in a Spark EV with sticky aftermarket tires when accelerating from 30 mph. It has a final drive ratio of 3.87 :shock:

Back