Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: 12v Battery Recommendations

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:32 pm

Supersleeper wrote:Well, bummer. Seems we’ve turned the thread into another debate.

I don't see contrary opinions as "bummers", as long as they don't get snarky and mean-spirited. This is a discussion forum after all, you idi.... oops :oops: :P

I decided to go optima yellow D51r since I found it on sale at Pep Boys for $143. I let the car sit for a weekend without driving it, and started up Monday without issues. On the old battery, it wouldn’t have made it barely a day.
A deep-cycle AGM is a good way to go. At the very least you don't have to worry about topping off electrolyte, or battery-area corrosion. I fell in love with AGM when I got my first Miata. When I first saw it I was flabbergasted by its small size. 9 years later it was still starting the car and zero corrosion. I've put an AGM battery in every vehicle since. Though maybe none have been the quality of that original Panasonic unit in the Miata. It was legendary.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:07 pm

I decided to go Optima yellow D51r since I found it on sale at Pep Boys for $143. I let the car sit for a weekend without driving it, and started up Monday without issues. On the old battery, it wouldn’t have made it barely a day.

Just don't assume that this means no more problems. Check the rest voltage every few days, and if it keeps dropping, you'll need to fully charge it at least once a week. At least an AGM won't mind that treatment as long as it stays over 30% charge or so and gets topped off regularly. If the rest voltage stays good, then you'll be helping to confirm that the Leaf does better at charging a higher capacity 12 volt battery.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Supersleeper
Delivery Date: 06 Aug 2017

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Yeah, I've been checking the voltage here and there. I expect it to go down slowly considering the TCU needs to update every so often, and while I'm checking status/climate. Good news is, I've barely seen it drop .0x volts each check. It also only ramps down from 14v for a much shorter time frame than for the original dead battery, which tells me the car's happy with it's level.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:23 pm

I let the car sit for 30 hours after noticing that I did not get charge complete/plug in reminder notifications and returned to a dead 12-volt battery (3.10 volts). The updated cellular modem failing to sleep finally took its toll on the original Nissan battery so I purchased a yellow top Optima from Pep Boys yesterday during the 30% off sale. I debated in my mind between the Optima deep cycle and the Bosch premium AGM (both on sale at Pep Boys), but I have been saying I would get an Optima and I believe a deep cycle is the best choice. The new Optima is stamped "Made In Mexico" so I will see if it lives up to the quality of previous Optimas I have had. FWIW, the battery store I normally buy my batteries from quit stocking yellow top batteries and mentioned the quality decline. It is interesting that Pep Boys' fitment guide does not list the Bosch premium AGM, but does list some lower-priced Bosch batteries along with the Optima as suitable for the 2015 LEAF.

Battery resting voltage was 12.782 after driving the car this morning and then letting it sit for 15 minutes so the DC-DC converter is adequately charging the battery.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”