LeafWannaBe984
Delivery Date: 29 Sep 2017

Looking Into Buying A Used Leaf

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:45 am

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a used car and found out about the insanely low prices for used Nissan Leafs. I've been looking 2014 and 2015 models. 2014 models I'm seeing from $8-$9 while 2015 models are around $10-11K. Most models are under 25K miles and sometimes less than 15K miles

I'm a little concerned about the battery replacement and battery life issues as they get older. Most of the cars I have purchased I tend to keep for a while (My current Civic just hit 200K miles).

I'm looking at a 5 year loan for a used Leaf. I'm debating either this or a conventional gas used car for around the same price (probably a Ford Fiesta, Kia, or Hyundai). That $5500 battery replacement cost freaks me out a little --- though I usually spend quite a bit around the 150K mile line for my cars on maintenance (timing belts, oil change, tune-up, etc). My usual expensive maint items is around the 180K mark and has been stuff like struts, pumps, etc. I'v never had to replace a transmission or anything major like that in a house before except for an AC.

I live in Texas --- so it can get very hot here --- I believe that is a factor since you have to blast AC here to survive in the summer.

I also do not have a L2 charger- I'm planning on just using a conventional plug. There is a Nissan Dealership within biking distance from me with a free EV station.

webb14leafs
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2017

Re: Looking Into Buying A Used Leaf

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:21 am

LeafWannaBe984 wrote:Hi All,

I'm in the market for a used car and found out about the insanely low prices for used Nissan Leafs. I've been looking 2014 and 2015 models. 2014 models I'm seeing from $8-$9 while 2015 models are around $10-11K. Most models are under 25K miles and sometimes less than 15K miles

I'm a little concerned about the battery replacement and battery life issues as they get older. Most of the cars I have purchased I tend to keep for a while (My current Civic just hit 200K miles).

I'm looking at a 5 year loan for a used Leaf. I'm debating either this or a conventional gas used car for around the same price (probably a Ford Fiesta, Kia, or Hyundai). That $5500 battery replacement cost freaks me out a little --- though I usually spend quite a bit around the 150K mile line for my cars on maintenance (timing belts, oil change, tune-up, etc). My usual expensive maint items is around the 180K mark and has been stuff like struts, pumps, etc. I'v never had to replace a transmission or anything major like that in a house before except for an AC.

I live in Texas --- so it can get very hot here --- I believe that is a factor since you have to blast AC here to survive in the summer.

I also do not have a L2 charger- I'm planning on just using a conventional plug. There is a Nissan Dealership within biking distance from me with a free EV station.

How long is your average commute?

The 2015 has what's referred to as a "Lizard" battery that is better at withstanding heat, but I'm not sure how much better it is.

Generally, I would say buy it if 60% of the current range meets your commuting needs, but that might be a little pessimistic.

Of course, you need to download Leafspy and check the current stats on the battery.

The $5,500 shouldn't freak you out. You'll save enough on gas and maintenance over the next 5 years to cover it if you need it.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:02 pm

I don't know where the indecision is here. If you keep cars a long time, there is no question..... Buy New. Why but a car where its best years have been enjoyed by the first owner (including the battery aging 3-4 years).

Buy new. Beat the crap out of the car until the battery goes (6-8 years?). At that point you got your first half use out of the car (80-100K miles). By that time, the new batteries will be better and cheaper, and you are then paying (investing) for the Second half of the car's life (100-200K miles)....

I hate when people complain that they will have to PAY for a new battery... They got the first battery for free (included with the car). What you pay for the second battery is for the use of the car for the 8-16 year period of the car's life. So in16 years, you paid zero in gas, oil, fluids, belts, exhaust, tune ups and drive train repairs. Where is the negative??

LeafWannaBe984

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:03 pm

This car would have a very light commute. No more than 30 miles roundtrip. The main issue would just be getting stuck in a traffic jam honestly. Yearly it will likely have less than 12K miles a year.

So 2015 models and up only have the lizard batteries? I would prefer to get a model that has the lizard batteries.

I usually hold on to to a car for about 12-14 years. I'm looking at used now because a New Honda is pretty expensive nowadays (would likely be over $20K). I thought about new for a Leaf, but that depreciation is very high and the used cars are very well priced.

New is around $26K for a Leaf, but 2015 used I'm finding for under $10K or bearly over that :shock:

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:29 pm

The "lizard pack" is only known to be present in the 2015 Leaf. In 2016 they went to a larger 30kwh pack, but it seems to be terrible, degradation-wise, especially in hot climates. Given your conditions and concerns, I wouldn't get a Leaf.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:49 pm

My wife had a Honda CRV 2000. We got it in 2004 and it was a great vehicle up until we sold it in 2015 for $3000 so it cost us about $10000 over those years in depreciation and about $1000 yr in others costs and $200 in gas each month. in 2012 it had a valve go back... Shop wanted $4700 to fix. And that was to bring the car to the same.. no improvement in mileage, performance or anything.. just because a valve was off and it would fail emissions. We were lucky, I am crazy enough to do stuff myself. It cost us about $800 and I did all the work.

With a EV a new battery basically gives you a NEW car all over again. This car has little issue with wear and tear items as it doesn't have all of that junk under the hood or elsewhere.. so I like the idea of getting my car back to a new version with that lump of cash. My wife's Leaf is much cheaper to run than her CRV.
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

Supersleeper
Delivery Date: 06 Aug 2017

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:02 pm

I got mine used. 2011 with 8 bars at 58k for $4,200. Original owner was kind enough to meet me at the dealer prior to title transfer to install new Lizard battery for dealer split 20/80% with $1500 out of pocket, including TCU update. Leaves me with a darn near new car for less than $6k. Still needs a 12v battery and tires, but likely the only maintenance I'll need to do for quite some time. IMHO, it's a better deal than 2014/15 model, despite heater improvements, as I get newer battery and for $2k less.

LeafWannaBe984

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:48 pm

Supersleeper wrote:I got mine used. 2011 with 8 bars at 58k for $4,200. Original owner was kind enough to meet me at the dealer prior to title transfer to install new Lizard battery for dealer split 20/80% with $1500 out of pocket, including TCU update. Leaves me with a darn near new car for less than $6k. Still needs a 12v battery and tires, but likely the only maintenance I'll need to do for quite some time. IMHO, it's a better deal than 2014/15 model, despite heater improvements, as I get newer battery and for $2k less.

Could you explain that TCU update and only paying $1500 out of pocket for the new battery? How did that work? Was it within warranty or part of the negotiated price?

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:35 pm

OP, can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it. I had to dig thru your posts to find your location, in the first post.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

booper
Delivery Date: 29 Jun 2013

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:45 pm

LeafWannaBe984 wrote:This car would have a very light commute. No more than 30 miles roundtrip. The main issue would just be getting stuck in a traffic jam honestly. Yearly it will likely have less than 12K miles a year.

So 2015 models and up only have the lizard batteries? I would prefer to get a model that has the lizard batteries.

I usually hold on to to a car for about 12-14 years. I'm looking at used now because a New Honda is pretty expensive nowadays (would likely be over $20K). I thought about new for a Leaf, but that depreciation is very high and the used cars are very well priced.

New is around $26K for a Leaf, but 2015 used I'm finding for under $10K or bearly over that :shock:

Leafs actually do great in a traffic jam - slow speeds are very battery efficient and no "burning gas" when idling.

Don't forget about the $7,500 federal income tax rebate. If your tax liability isn't large enough to take advantage of most (ideally all) of this amount, I would not consider a new Leaf. I would expect a new 2017 S with QC to cost significantly less than $20k when factoring in the rebate.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”