Got unplugged, want to retrofit lock mechanism

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supersleeper

During Halloween, some kid thought it was funny to unplug me. Now I’m looking for the part number for the solenoid on the later models that lock in the EVSE to see if it can be retrofitted. I’m not worried about the electronics integration as I will wire this manually.

I think you can just add a lock of your choice to the EVSE handle, to prevent the button from being pressed.
EVSE-lock-via-Franck-1.jpg

I'm new here, and wondered about this. If someone really wants to unplug you and you have either lock on, won't they just pull harder until something breaks? That's where mischief becomes vandalism. The socket and connector are all just high tech plastics, and a good hit sideways is going to break something. I bet it's an expensive repair to get your charging socket replaced. Even if they just drop the J1772 connector on concrete, it's likely to break. Seems to me there's an opportunity for an aftermarket tamper alarm here.

Thanks, I’m definitely going to get the lock for the time being. Eventually it would be nice for the car to lock it automatically. Having the part number for the solenoid would be ideal, though I’m not sure where to look.

I wouldn’t put a lock on it, if I pulled up beside you and you are fully charged, I couldn’t use the EVSE since you have it Hostage. Don’t lock it, we all like to share it. Had my Leaf since Aug 2013 and a new 2016 Volt, never had this issue.

Fred

Wennfred said:
I wouldn’t put a lock on it, if I pulled up beside you and you are fully charged, I couldn’t use the EVSE since you have it Hostage.
Get the hell out of my driveway, and stop trying to steal my electricity.
:eek:

garsh said:
Wennfred said:
I wouldn’t put a lock on it, if I pulled up beside you and you are fully charged, I couldn’t use the EVSE since you have it Hostage.
Get the hell out of my driveway, and stop trying to steal my electricity.
:eek:

:lol:

But seriously, Do you have a disconnect inside the house to keep someone from stealing juice? Or, do you have it listed on plug share to help out other EV drivers?

Personally, I would never mount one outside of my garage unless I went solar and it was "free". Not going solar 'till AEP permits net metering.

No, not listed on Plug Share, there are plenty of stations here in San Diego and a few are Free... my 2 EVSE are both inside of the garage. I was assuming the OP was talking about out in town. If a kid wanted to in front of the house he would break it off.

Back