truckinusa
Delivery Date: 30 Nov 2017

Thinking of buying a leaf

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:32 am

I saw this leaf near me and was trying to get the car dealer to come down a bit more than what they want at $10,300. I'm guessing $8,000 or less is what I would like to pay, but maybe that is unrealistic from a dealer? I may or may not succeed. I am not knowledgeable about specs on these cars. Does this particular car have all the desirable options? I know it doesn't have the quick charge port. I thought I read somewhere about different sized batteries? Just looking for any general advice, or specifics on what I might consider offering and any other things I may have missed.

http://www.westpointechryslerjeepdodge. ... 325324.htm

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: Thinking of buying a leaf

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:27 am

It is a 2013 SV without Premium package. It was likely built before March of 2013, because it appears to be missing 4 capacity bars already. This car may well qualify for a free replacement pack. You need to confirm that it shows just 8 of the little white bars next to the much larger charge bars. You also need to confirm that the "in service" date was less than 5 years ago. If it doesn't qualify for a free replacement pack from Nissan, pass on it - it has little range left and will keep losing capacity quickly.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:45 am

truckinusa wrote:I saw this leaf near me and was trying to get the car dealer to come down a bit more than what they want at $10,300. I'm guessing $8,000 or less is what I would like to pay, but maybe that is unrealistic from a dealer? I may or may not succeed. I am not knowledgeable about specs on these cars. Does this particular car have all the desirable options? I know it doesn't have the quick charge port. I thought I read somewhere about different sized batteries? Just looking for any general advice, or specifics on what I might consider offering and any other things I may have missed.

Find out when the car was manufactured, it is on a label on driver door pillar. Based on what the display is showing, it will likely be between January and March of 2013. Call Nissan at 877-NO-GAS-EV with the VIN number to verify in-service date. Confirm that there are no issues with the car that will prevent the battery replacement under warranty. The battery capacity warranty is 60 months or 60,000 miles from the in-service date. Go one day or one mile over, and they will not cover it. Also, look at the CarFax report for any issues or incidents, and see where the car spent most of its life.

The display is showing only 8 of the 12 battery capacity bars (little ones on the far right). You can use this to your advantage at the selling dealer, as the battery capacity is less than two-thirds of when originally sold, reducing the range and value of the car. You can also use this to your advantage, if you purchase the car, as you can take it to Nissan (confirm before purchase) and get the battery replaced under warranty. This will essentially make it like new again.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

LeftieBiker

Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:22 am

The display is showing only 8 of the 12 battery capacity bars (little ones on the far right). You can use this to your advantage at the selling dealer, as the battery capacity is less than two-thirds of when originally sold, reducing the range and value of the car.

I'd be careful here, though. If the dealer realizes it qualifies for a free pack, they may raise the price, or pull it from the lot, replace the pack, and relist it for more. You can say that the range is down "quite a bit from new" according to the range estimator, and use that to negotiate.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

truckinusa

Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:57 am

baustin wrote:
truckinusa wrote:I saw this leaf near me and was trying to get the car dealer to come down a bit more than what they want at $10,300. I'm guessing $8,000 or less is what I would like to pay, but maybe that is unrealistic from a dealer? I may or may not succeed. I am not knowledgeable about specs on these cars. Does this particular car have all the desirable options? I know it doesn't have the quick charge port. I thought I read somewhere about different sized batteries? Just looking for any general advice, or specifics on what I might consider offering and any other things I may have missed.

Find out when the car was manufactured, it is on a label on driver door pillar. Based on what the display is showing, it will likely be between January and March of 2013. Call Nissan at 877-NO-GAS-EV with the VIN number to verify in-service date. Confirm that there are no issues with the car that will prevent the battery replacement under warranty. The battery capacity warranty is 60 months or 60,000 miles from the in-service date. Go one day or one mile over, and they will not cover it. Also, look at the CarFax report for any issues or incidents, and see where the car spent most of its life.

The display is showing only 8 of the 12 battery capacity bars (little ones on the far right). You can use this to your advantage at the selling dealer, as the battery capacity is less than two-thirds of when originally sold, reducing the range and value of the car. You can also use this to your advantage, if you purchase the car, as you can take it to Nissan (confirm before purchase) and get the battery replaced under warranty. This will essentially make it like new again.

What does in-service date mean? The vehicle appears like it sold in May of 2013 and was manufactured sometime in 2012. It was sold in California and was brought to Oklahoma at some point in time. Looks like it came around the 30,000 mile mark.

LeftieBiker

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:20 am

If it was sold in May of 2013 then that day in May is the limit for the battery capacity warranty. (It also is the start of the factory bumper to bumper warranty, now expired except for the power train.) You have until May of 2018 (or 60000 miles) to establish that it qualifies for a free pack, and to have it installed.

truckinusa

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:51 am

LeftieBiker wrote:If it was sold in May of 2013 then that day in May is the limit for the battery capacity warranty. (It also is the start of the factory bumper to bumper warranty, now expired except for the power train.) You have until May of 2018 (or 60000 miles) to establish that it qualifies for a free pack, and to have it installed.

Assuming it has 8 bars...Is that a lot of trouble to go through that process?

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:15 am

truckinusa wrote: Does this particular car have all the desirable options?

Nah, for that you have to buy a Rolls Royce.
Like, the LEAF does not have a porta-potty. I don't know, that might be a deal breaker ?
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

LeftieBiker

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:10 am

It isn't generally that bad, but you have to use a competent Nissan dealer to replace the pack. The horror stories all seem to involve bad dealerships.

As for 'desirable options': the car is missing the Premium Package, with Bose stereo and 4 camera parking system. You also said is has no Quick Charge, so the car is NOT optioned out by any means. It does have the heat pump heating system, and cruise control, and satellite radio.

truckinusa

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:30 am

LeftieBiker wrote:

It isn't generally that bad, but you have to use a competent Nissan dealer to replace the pack. The horror stories all seem to involve bad dealerships.

As for 'desirable options': the car is missing the Premium Package, with Bose stereo and 4 camera parking system. You also said is has no Quick Charge, so the car is NOT optioned out by any means. It does have the heat pump heating system, and cruise control, and satellite radio.

Would you have any idea what a reasonable price range would be? Dealer doesn't seem to want to budge off $10,000, but maybe I have some ammo with the weak battery. It was listed for $8,900 at another dealer a year ago with 10,000 less miles lol.

Suppose I bought it with 8 bars, could I drive it until I got close to the 5 year warranty time period? Maybe it would be better to be right on the warranty claim? Do they usually mention things like this when you take the car in for service?

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”