Leaf 2018 Reviews

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I might be OK with the one pedal mode using friction breaks, I'd also like a mode that didn't include them, just stronger regen.
Funny how they can get 200+ miles out of a 40kWh battery......sounds like the European cycle and maybe more like 130(figuring I'm lucky to get 70 miles with a 24kWh Leaf) in real life N. American use....
I do like the idea of a larger "boot" but am not too happy with the rather large lift-over. Not too keen of the HUGE charge port lid either, way bigger than our current Leaf which still gets plenty of snow covering it! Tesla(at least the S-model) got this right, teeny tiny and what I'd prefer.
Overall a decent improvement though and much more mainstream looking than our bug-eye Leaf :)

On the One Pedal, I am sure it won't come for me until I have bled off enough charge for regen to work but then again, my thoughts on charge management has changed dramatically so I think One Pedal will soon become one of my best buds! ;)

DaveinOlyWA said:
On the One Pedal, I am sure it won't come for me until I have bled off enough charge for regen to work but then again, my thoughts on charge management has changed dramatically so I think One Pedal will soon become one of my best buds! ;)

Did a 2018 test drive a couple days ago. E-pedal was pretty easy to adjust to. Pro Pilot was nice too, but we couldn't get the lane departure warning to sound. Might need to be on a freeway for it to work. Overall, quite liked the new design!

DaveinOlyWA said:

Hopefully, the blending of regen and friction braking is now intelligent enough to account for the differences in regen availability, so as to deliver a consistent experience in terms of braking force vs. liftoff. The feature seems fairly aggressive so the only way to become smooth with practice is for it to be at least consistent.

booper said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Did a 2018 test drive a couple days ago. E-pedal was pretty easy to adjust to. Pro Pilot was nice too, but we couldn't get the lane departure warning to sound. Might need to be on a freeway for it to work. Overall, quite liked the new design!

I think its actually "lane centering" so no warning needed since car will steer you back into the lane

Nubo said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Hopefully, the blending of regen and friction braking is now intelligent enough to account for the differences in regen availability, so as to deliver a consistent experience in terms of braking force vs. liftoff. The feature seems fairly aggressive so the only way to become smooth with practice is for it to be at least consistent.

In a review comparing T3, Bolt and LEAF, LEAF won top marks for smoothest transition from regen to friction. I am "hoping" there was no friction on either of my drives since SOC was very low but the ideology is creating a consistent experience with driving/coasting at ALL SOC levels.

Is using the E-pedal frequently likely to cause significant wear in one's cv joints over time?

MikeD said:
Is using the E-pedal frequently likely to cause significant wear in one's cv joints over time?

The joints get torqued by any kind of braking. The friction brakes pull them from one end of the drivetrain, the Regen braking from the other. When both braking systems are in use at once, it may actually be easier on the joints...

MikeD said:

Wouldn't think so. The maximum retarding force from what I've read on the 2018 is 0.2G. More regen than we're used to but that's still pretty gentle compared to hard acceleration or braking. The bigger concern would be the extra 40 horsepower. Hopefully the drivetrain components were spec'd properly to account for the more aggressive acceleration and higher torque.

DaveinOlyWA said:
First confirmation of what I have claimed since September of increased cargo space.

https://youtu.be/xOJyiKy0MOQ

Not sure I like the non-flat folding seats, wonder if its got enough depth to fit my bass 4x10 cabinet...

461429_10150780852211343_1056164114_o.jpg

any idea of the actual dimensions, not just litres, or cu ft?...

cabinet dimensions are: 26.5" H, 22.8" W and 17.5" D

I might have to consider making a little riser/false floor if possible to make it flat if I have to... unless someone is going to mass produce an aftermarket part... (million dollar idea :p )

nerk said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
First confirmation of what I have claimed since September of increased cargo space.

https://youtu.be/xOJyiKy0MOQ

Not sure I like the non-flat folding seats, wonder if its got enough depth to fit my bass 4x10 cabinet...

461429_10150780852211343_1056164114_o.jpg

any idea of the actual dimensions, not just litres, or cu ft?...

I might have to consider making a little riser/false floor if possible to make it flat if I have to... unless someone is going to mass produce an aftermarket part... (million dollar idea :p )

Something to think about since I know someone who also hauls amps around. Probably a good idea to have uneven floor if amp fits in well.

As far as footprint; its nearly the same as current LEAF but the capacity gain is likely from removal of the humps that went across the front of cargo area just behind the back seats. This creates an area that can hold a larger rectangular area.

About 5-6 years ago, I had Nephew hauling his band equipment in his Ford Econoline. Had an accident that would have been minor except that one amp broke loose (basically ripped the board it was attached to off the frame of the van) and hit a band member breaking his ankle.

yeah, I always kind of worry about that scenario. when carrying amps.. I had a pontiac vibe which was great for hauling gear, cargo area was made out of plastic, so easy to load stuff in and out and the seats folded down it was 100% flat...

But the drawback was also, cause everything was plastic, everything was just sliding around unless it was strapped in... I have a grand cherokee now, and on gig nights I typically carry all three guitar/bass cabinets,... it fits in tight, but the tighter the better... less chance of things shifting around... but the floor is all carpet, so its a bit of a pain to load in as things don't slide quite as well...

I think we just need a cube van now :) j/k

I already warned my guitarist that when I get the leaf, e-golf or bolt (still have not decided yet)... I won't be able to lug around their amps anymore...

Back