Shifting into "B" mode

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vger105

We are the deleriously happy owners of a 2017 Leaf SV, with a question. Is there any reason not to shift into the "B" mode. The regen seems a.compelling reason to do so.
Thanks for any insight.

There are other topics on this, but the short answer is that B Mode is good for city driving, but D Mode is better for highway driving, because coasting is much more efficient than using Regen.

B mode is great for "one pedal" driving. I use it all the time, especially in slow and go on the freeway. Differences in energy consumption between B mode, D mode, and shifting to N for coasting really depend upon driving style. If you hold the accelerator in the neutral position where there is no power in or out when coasting, it is the same as shifting to neutral and it does not matter whether you are in D or B mode. If you tend to move the accelerator pedal more than necessary to hold a steady speed, then D mode and shifting to neutral may improve efficiency under certain conditions compared to B mode.

I do B or neutral. Nothing else. There is no negative to shifting as much as you want. You are not wearing out anything that would not be worn during the normal driving process

All of the previous comments are good advice but in most cases, these differences are small. They will save you a little bit in efficiency if you get it right, and perhaps cost a bit in efficiency if you just forget the shift and drive in D all the time. But it won't double your range.

That said, no matter what else you do, B-mode is great for slowing the car when coming down a hill, sort of like downshifting an ICE. Not only will it save your brakes but it will regenerate. You can do the same thing by pushing on the brake pedal lightly, but most people wait until the last minute and then push too hard. B-mode is much more effective.

Bob

I find that for all normal downhills (including some fairly steep ones) D + Eco provides the best regen braking. B mode slows the car too much and I have to press the accelerator to keep speed up.

I have seen some reference to not using the B mode in hot (or maybe it was the cold) climate. Any basis to this or do i not remember it correctly?

I almost always drive in B mode -- but one annoyance causes me to shift to D mode: If you're using cruise control and you turn it off while in B mode, the car will slow aggressively, which is usually not what I want. So I try to remember to shift into D if I turn on cruise.

brotherjethro said:
I almost always drive in B mode -- but one annoyance causes me to shift to D mode: If you're using cruise control and you turn it off while in B mode, the car will slow aggressively, which is usually not what I want. So I try to remember to shift into D if I turn on cruise.

When transitioning out of cruise-control I will apply my foot to the accelerator to find the "neutral point", before cancelling cruise to "accept the hand-off". This avoids the deceleration and it's something I've used in both drive modes and also on other cars in general. Keeps the passengers happy. :cool:

Nubo said:
brotherjethro said:

When transitioning out of cruise-control I will apply my foot to the accelerator to find the "neutral point", before cancelling cruise to "accept the hand-off". This avoids the deceleration and it's something I've used in both drive modes and also on other cars in general. Keeps the passengers happy. :cool:

I try to -- but it's not easy with drive-by-wire throttles (which I have in all three cars now). This was so simple back in the days when the gas pedal moved along with the cruise control: You'd put light pressure on the pedal and then turn off the cruise control. Then you'd feel the pedal start to push more on your foot, confirming you were then in charge. As technology advances, usability often suffers. This is a perfect example.

Coming from a stick shift I'm usually shifting all over the place. From cruise control I'll shift into neutral. Then into D without ECO. Then hit the ECO button. Then, if I need to, I'll shift into B.

However I'll usually cruise in B mode so that the car will slow down quickly if a dear jumps out in front of me.

Back