I guess I will be the first one to admit that I ran out once in the fall of 2012. The 2011 was down to 10 capacity bars and I knew what the range was under normal conditions, but did not yet have aftermarket instrumentation. The ambient temperature dropped suddenly overnight which also dropped the battery temperature. The dash display indicated the battery was at about 1/2 charge (5 or 6 bars) so the round trip for the errand I wanted to run should have been well within range. My route was on surface streets in stop/go conditions with public charging not readily available. The charge bars dropped suddenly when I started the car for my return trip and I became concerned so I drove as slowly and efficiently as I could without creating traffic issues. VLBW occurred when I was still several miles from home so I suspected I would not make it, but had no choice except to keep going. Turtle happened followed almost immediately by shutdown and I coasted into a school parking lot about 1 mile from home. The car was still under warranty and I believed there was something wrong that caused the significant reduction in range so I called Roadside Assistance.
A towing company driver arrived with a small pickup towing a trailer-mounted generator that had a Level 2 EVSE attached. I thought that was great because there would be no danger of damaging the car from towing. Unfortunately, the generator would not start. The driver said they had received the unit for rescuing EVs in the spring and tested it. He said they had not used it until now and that it was sitting in their lot with an extension cord plugged in to its onboard charger for the starting battery. I did some troubleshooting and discovered the main microprocessor-based control module was dead so there was no way to start or run the generator. I suspect the module was a victim of power surges during the summer lightning storms (long extension cord running across the ground with no shielding). A tow truck was dispatched and my car was towed home. The driver was able to park the car in the driveway close enough for my L2 EVSE cable to reach.
The dealer found no error codes or other issues when I took the car in the next day. Since I was concerned about the sudden change, I offered to work with them if they wanted to install some type of data logger. Unfortunately, it took a while before Nissan could ship a suitable data recorder to the dealer so the weather had warmed and I was traveling on extended assignment. Therefore, we were never able to use the recorder. I now know that high internal resistance of the cold (for Phoenix) deteriorated battery caused the lack of regeneration (and likely contributed to the inaccuracies of the dashboard instrumentation) and reduced range.
This situation was enough to convince me to immediately order a "GID Meter" kit so I would have a bit more information besides what the dash displays.
Roadside Assistance was helpful and had no concerns about towing my car home without any cost to me.
Edited to add: It takes enough charging to get the battery above VLBW before you can get into Ready mode (so probably about 2 hours with 120-volt charging).
Last edited by GerryAZ
on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015