vger105
Delivery Date: 09 Oct 2011

How do u like the base radio?

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:31 pm

We have a new 2017 SV and I want to upgrade the speakers. My wife, otoh, is perfectly happy with the system that came with our Leaf. For those of u with S or SV models, how do u like your radios? Anyone change the speakers?

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Re: How do u like the base radio?

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:36 am

Did you purchase or lease the vehicle? If it is a lease, spending the time and money to upgrade the speakers is really not a wise choice.

Why do you want to upgrade the speakers? Is there an issue with the audio output?

I have a 2013 SV with the standard NAV and speakers. I have no issues with it, and have not found a reason to want to upgrade them.

Check the Music/NAV and Mods forums. There are posts from those that have done speaker upgrades.

Who is going to be driving the car more? Will it be a struggle to get her to agree to do the upgrades? Do you have the ability to do the upgrades without damaging the vehicle?

Just remember the old saying: Happy Wife = Happy Life.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:46 am

I found that just adjusting the audio was all I needed. I have no experience with the sound system in the S, just the Bose system.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:07 am

I have an S. I find the stock radio to be very adequate, especially as I do not value having an audiophile auditory experience while I drive.

I believe that things like HD TVs, stereos, etc are like diamonds..... You only notice differences when you put them next to other ones, and the diamond you have will still make you happy;

Also, any change in the speakers will not be worth the time and money, and the loss of the old, "free" speakers you have left over. I have always found that we always accommodate to what we have, and even if you get new speakers, in a week, the great new speakers will sound just "ok" again.

Also, since the radio is also connected to other systems of the car, I would never change the radio.

Rxleaf
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2016

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:34 am

To me, it sounds fair. I usually upgrade my stereo when possible.

For an audiophile, it would sound very bad. For a majority of people, it's good enough.

I guess audio quality is too subjective to get a good answer.

Just my thoughts.

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:44 pm

FWIW, I test drove a LEAF with the Bose package when I was shopping for mine and I wasn't impressed. It sounded only marginally better than the stock radio. The mid-range was alright, but the tweeters are rather muted - I prefer them a bit crisper and brighter. The lower range, handled by the woofer in the trunk, sounds pretty mushy to my ears. I'm sure some people just crank up the bass and treble, which does improve things somewhat, but to my mind a "premium" audio system should be more responsive at flat levels. Given the less than stellar Bose "upgrade", I was pleasantly surprised that the stock audio isn't much worse.

I guess it depends on your budget, but I find it's not worth the money to rip and replace everything.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

LeftieBiker

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:20 pm

alozzy wrote:FWIW, I test drove a LEAF with the Bose package when I was shopping for mine and I wasn't impressed. It sounded only marginally better than the stock radio. The mid-range was alright, but the tweeters are rather muted - I prefer them a bit crisper and brighter. The lower range, handled by the woofer in the trunk, sounds pretty mushy to my ears. I'm sure some people just crank up the bass and treble, which does improve things somewhat, but to my mind a "premium" audio system should be more responsive at flat levels. Given the less than stellar Bose "upgrade", I was pleasantly surprised that the stock audio isn't much worse.

I guess it depends on your budget, but I find it's not worth the money to rip and replace everything.

Did you use the Audio menu to adjust the treble? Mine sounded much better after I adjusted the sound to suit me.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

vger105

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:21 pm

baustin wrote:Did you purchase or lease the vehicle? If it is a lease, spending the time and money to upgrade the speakers is really not a wise choice.

***We bought the car when Nissan had a $10,000 reduction in price. That plus the $2500 NYS rebate and the $7500 federal tax credit made the final cost irresistable

Why do you want to upgrade the speakers? Is there an issue with the audio output?

*** The sound is adequate but not quite what I would want. The sound is much, much better in our other car

Who is going to be driving the car more? Will it be a struggle to get her to agree to do the upgrades? Do you have the ability to do the upgrades without damaging the vehicle?

*** My wife will be using it most of the time so I didn't pursue a speaker upgrade. If she's satisfied with the sound, so be it

Just remember the old saying: Happy Wife = Happy Life.

*** Amen to that!

vger105

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:53 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
alozzy wrote:FWIW, I test drove a LEAF with the Bose package when I was shopping for mine and I wasn't i

Did you use the Audio menu to adjust the treble? Mine sounded much better after I adjusted the sound to suit me.

*** I did try that. I have found the most important component of any sound system is the human ear. As I've aged I find I can't quite hear the high frequencies I used to hear. I guess what sounds like a limited dynamic range to me might sound perfectly fine to someone else. Oh well...

LeftieBiker

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:08 pm

I don't mean to imply that the Bose system is audiophile quality, just that I find it perfectly adequate for what I play in the car - mostly 80's alternative.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”