cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: How do u like the base radio?

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:48 pm

alozzy wrote:FWIW, I test drove a LEAF with the Bose package when I was shopping for mine and I wasn't impressed. It sounded only marginally better than the stock radio. The mid-range was alright, but the tweeters are rather muted - I prefer them a bit crisper and brighter. The lower range, handled by the woofer in the trunk, sounds pretty mushy to my ears. I'm sure some people just crank up the bass and treble, which does improve things somewhat, but to my mind a "premium" audio system should be more responsive at flat levels. Given the less than stellar Bose "upgrade", I was pleasantly surprised that the stock audio isn't much worse.

For me, when I originally was Leaf shopping in 2013, I listened to both the base SV stereo and a car w/the Bose stereo (happened to be an SL) briefly w/my own music. It was obvious to me that the Bose was noticeably better.

I'm no fan of Bose's products nor the company but I have 0 regrets that I leased a '13 w/the Bose stereo. After living with it for 2 years, I found I LOVED the premium package's Around View Monitor and really enjoyed the Bose stereo. So, when I bought a used '13 to replace my leased car, it HAD to have the premium package.

I ruled out S long ago due to lack of cruise control. Inferior stereo was another mark against it.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

erco

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:12 am

Your wife is right, the base model radio sounds great and is perfectly suited for the car. Sounds like you"re just looking to make work for yourself. Get a hobby. Build a robot with that time & money.
Ocean Blue 2014 S, 3.6kW OBC, no QC, purchased 10/21/17, 12 bars, Los Angeles
Car first sold in Buford Georgia
Dropped 1st bar 11/30/17
AmazingE 3.8 kW EVSE

vincelaw
Delivery Date: 04 Apr 2018

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:46 pm

On my 2014 SL I found the Bose better than stock but it was still lacking. So i replaced the 4 Bose speakers w/ Infinity Kappa 62.11i 6.5 Inch Coaxial Speaker. I used the existing speaker's bases.

Sounds substantially better, fuller & smoother sound w/ better highs and lows. And now the equalizer is set as -1 for both base and treble (they were both at +2).

I'm surprised by how well the treble travels up from the low speaker location. I thought the legs would block a lot of the treble. The existing tweeters are still operational so i'm sure they help but they're not that loud. The infinity's have a button to increase the highs and this has not been activated.

I find that this ~$200 upgrade is good value for the money. The next step would be quite a bit more money.
2014 Leaf SL

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”