jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Re: heat when plugged in and fully charged

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:37 pm

BrockWI wrote:I think two start pushes is the same as a start push with the brake pressed?

But yes it takes about 30 seconds before I notice it is getting warm. I use eco a lot and you can't switch to no-eco while plugged in. I should look at what the heater is pulling while in eco mode plugged in.

I basically only use ECO so I kind of forget things might act differently in non ECO mode :)
I prefer the ECO accelerator pedal mapping and probably more important, much more regen in ECO. Unlike some Leafs with a B mode, to get increased regen on our Leafs your only option is ECO.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

XeonPony
Delivery Date: 03 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 413826

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:12 pm

BrockWI wrote:Hit the timer override button (even if it is full), I believe the car has to be actively charging to get get the heat to work while plugged in.

that is correct, when really cold out I'd unplug it and plug it back in then hit the heat.

Alt is use the app to turn on charging, then heat, and that works.
2013 SV Leaf, Level 2 charger, so far all works great! 130Km daily, 100% charge at night on 240 then trickle charge for 8H durring the day on 120v.

Level 2 charge starts at 130am environmental starts at 6am to 25c for a toasty warm defrosted car!

ebeighe
Delivery Date: 27 Jul 2017
Leaf Number: 308422

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:20 pm

XeonPony wrote:Alt is use the app to turn on charging, then heat, and that works.

... but that's not an option on an S

So... i tried again; at least on a MY 2017 S it doesn't seem possible (didn't try unpluggin/re-plugging; i'm assuming that would allow heat or ac to turn on).
To recap, when fully charged (the blue dash lights have gone out) but still plugged in:
Pushing the button twice will get the fan going but doesn't make any heat.
stepping on the brake while pushing the button seems to have no effect one way or the other.
pushing timer override button doesn't appear to do anything.

Anyway, it is more of a curiosity to me; i don't often charge to 100% anyway, and for the winter it's so warm here i don't typically even ever turn on the heat(! I was more thinking ahead to the summer, and a/c pre-cooling).
"Brilliant Silver" 2017 S built 04/17, delivered 7/27/2017

jjeff

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:02 am

ebeighe wrote:
XeonPony wrote:Alt is use the app to turn on charging, then heat, and that works.

... but that's not an option on an S

So... i tried again; at least on a MY 2017 S it doesn't seem possible (didn't try unpluggin/re-plugging; i'm assuming that would allow heat or ac to turn on).
To recap, when fully charged (the blue dash lights have gone out) but still plugged in:
Pushing the button twice will get the fan going but doesn't make any heat.
stepping on the brake while pushing the button seems to have no effect one way or the other.
pushing timer override button doesn't appear to do anything.

Anyway, it is more of a curiosity to me; i don't often charge to 100% anyway, and for the winter it's so warm here i don't typically even ever turn on the heat(! I was more thinking ahead to the summer, and a/c pre-cooling).

Lets do this one step at a time.
1. Push timer override button if you have a timer set, if not cycle the j1772 connector. If the Leaf doesn't start charging, stop here, for some reason your Leaf doesn't act like either of mine and the only way the next step will work is if the Leaf is actively charging.
2. If it does start charging, put your foot on the brake and push the power button. You should have heat, if not I guess you could try the foot on the brake and power button a second time, if still no heat after 90?? seconds, well your Leaf doesn't act like mine and I don't know what to say :)
Note it's possible Nissan changed things in '17, they did from '12 to '13 as step #2 above does not work on my '12. Turning the car on when plugged in, even if actively charging, immediately stops charging and pulls all power from the car :x
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

jake14mw
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2017

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:17 am

I've seen numerous threads on this issue. I'm very surprised that I haven't seen a definitive answer (that I remember). It seems there should be definitive answers to this stuff. I too have been confused about when the car will and will not preheat.

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:50 am

jake14mw wrote:I've seen numerous threads on this issue. I'm very surprised that I haven't seen a definitive answer (that I remember). It seems there should be definitive answers to this stuff. I too have been confused about when the car will and will not preheat.

The only real confusion is trying to turn the car on and get the heater to come on while it is still connected to the EVSE. A charging session has to be active, for this to work. Press the On button twice (foot on the brake and press once should also work), turn the heater on, and warm air should be coming out within a few minutes. If a charging session is not active, the car will come on, but no heat is produced.

The Climate Control Timer automates the process, and will activate the charger to keep from draining the battery, if the EVSE is connected. The Remote Climate Control feature of the Nissan EVConnect app (or website) can be used to condition the car prior to driving. When running from the battery, it will operate for 15 minutes and then turn off automatically. If the EVSE is connected, it will run for 2 hours before turning off.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

BrockWI
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 423875

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:00 am

I know this isn't the issue here but keep in mind the car won't run the heat even while charging when the battery is below about 18%. My wife was at 10%, becasue it was -15F that day, so she stopped to get add charge and tried the heat but it wouldn't work. She called me and I told her she wouldn't have heat until about 20% and sure enough at 17%, while on the phone the heat kicked in, she was happy, warmed up the cabin, charged to 30% and then drove home with no heat, got home on very low battery ---
3 kw solar pv - XW6048 - 8 L16's
4 ton GSHP
2003 VW TDI 170k miles - 52 mpg lifetime
evse level 2 - Clipper Creek HSC-40
2013 S model with QC package Mar of 2013
@60k miles - 61.72Ahr - 94 SOH - 95.61 Hx - 268 GID

jdcbomb
Delivery Date: 18 May 2015

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:29 pm

I have MY13 and also confused by the charging logic when the remote command is sent to turn on the vehicle.

If the vehicle is 100 pct charged with the charging lights off and the vehicle off, and climate control is remotely activated, it does appear that the vehicle will start charging again. However, it appears the traction battery will discharge faster than the vehicle will charge until a certain charge percentage. I've seen it discharge as much as 5 pct from 100 while the remote climate control is running. Is this normal?

If the vehicle is 100 pct charged with charging lights off and I sit inside and turn on the vehicle as though I am going to drive it, the heat pump will NOT turn on no matter if I press the timer button, or brake, or press the power button. I have found I have to unplug the vehicle, then turn it on to ready status, before heating or cooling will begin.

I sometimes let it run for a minute, then turn the vehicle off completely, and then plug it back in, and then turn it back on again into ready mode, and the heat pump will turn on.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:34 pm

The remote climate control command seems to override all the annoying logic that gets applied if a driver is in the car trying to heat it.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jjeff

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:30 am

jdcbomb wrote:I have MY13 and also confused by the charging logic when the remote command is sent to turn on the vehicle.

If the vehicle is 100 pct charged with the charging lights off and the vehicle off, and climate control is remotely activated, it does appear that the vehicle will start charging again. However, it appears the traction battery will discharge faster than the vehicle will charge until a certain charge percentage. I've seen it discharge as much as 5 pct from 100 while the remote climate control is running. Is this normal?

If the vehicle is 100 pct charged with charging lights off and I sit inside and turn on the vehicle as though I am going to drive it, the heat pump will NOT turn on no matter if I press the timer button, or brake, or press the power button. I have found I have to unplug the vehicle, then turn it on to ready status, before heating or cooling will begin.

I sometimes let it run for a minute, then turn the vehicle off completely, and then plug it back in, and then turn it back on again into ready mode, and the heat pump will turn on.

On point 1 it depends on your EVSE. I've found you need a minimum of ~18a 240v to keep up with the heater and not start drawing from the battery, even if plugged in. If say you have a 16a 240v EVSE and your heater is running 100%(very cold out) you'll start losing some of your battery charge even if plugged in. If you have a 24 or better yet a 27a EVSE you won't lose any charge and if your battery wasn't already 100% to begin with, you'll start gaining charge during preheat. If you have a 120v EVSE, well do the math, every minute you preheat you'll be losing charge and don't be surprised to lose many percent(5-10??) for a full 30 minute preheat, I only preheat with L2 and a minimum of 19a(well except for my '12 that only charges at a max of 16a @ 240v in which case I have to live with a slight percent loss of charge when I preheat).

On point 2 AFAIK(I don't have a heatpump Leaf) the heat pump will not be used during preheat, only the resistive heater, just the way it's designed.
GE Durastation 30a

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”