Blzlovr
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:47 am
Delivery Date: 21 Dec 2014
Leaf Number: 315633
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Sun May 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Yes, as long as you have the transponder.




DarthPuppy wrote:
Blzlovr wrote: I'll still have the free 91 tollroad access.


So the white stickers will still be valid for the free tollroad access past 12/31/18 even though not valid for HOV use? :roll:
2015 Nissan Leaf S - Gun Metallic
Quick Charge Port
Riverside, CA

akat
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Mon May 07, 2018 1:27 pm

What's the point of introducing a new color sticker now if it is going to expire end of the year and has to be removed and replaced with a new sticker? Couldn't they have just continued the existing colors until end of the year?

Also, if just keeping up with regular EV/PHEV purchases takes 6-8 weeks now (to issue new decals), how long will it take at the end of the year to issue new stickers to 2 years worth of vehicles?

DarthPuppy
Posts: 660
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:45 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Mon May 07, 2018 11:45 pm

akat wrote:What's the point of introducing a new color sticker now if it is going to expire end of the year and has to be removed and replaced with a new sticker? Couldn't they have just continued the existing colors until end of the year?

Also, if just keeping up with regular EV/PHEV purchases takes 6-8 weeks now (to issue new decals), how long will it take at the end of the year to issue new stickers to 2 years worth of vehicles?


I concur. It makes much more sense to have the new red stickers go the full period as there is no sense in introducing the red stickers now if they have to be replaced in January. But the paper that came with it clearly says it expires end of year, which means it is only good for less than 1 year. I do hope they will have a simple online renewal that allows printing out a new paper granting the 3 year extension and no new sticker. But this is the government we are talking about, so I wouldn't count on anything sensible or efficient.
'13 Leaf SL
'18 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV

sigurdk
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:21 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 322824

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:29 pm

[*]Stickers issued to new cars after January 1, 2019 are valid for three full years and then until January 1 of their fourth year.
[*]Drivers issued stickers in 2017 and 2018 will be able to apply for a new sticker in 2019 that is valid until January 1, 2022.
[*]Stickers issued before January 1, 2017 will expire on January 1, 2019.

So - I bought my 2015 Leaf S second-hand in January, 2018 and it had white HOV stickers then. How do i know what year the original owner applied for the HOV stickers? If he got them in 2017, I can apply for an extension. If before 2017, I'm out of luck.

Just apply to the DMV and see what they say? It would be nice if current owner (or prospective buyer) could look the year up by VIN or sticker ID.
'15 LEAF S 6.6Kw
VIN: 322824
San Diego Coastal

akat
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:33 pm

DarthPuppy wrote:
akat wrote:What's the point of introducing a new color sticker now if it is going to expire end of the year and has to be removed and replaced with a new sticker? Couldn't they have just continued the existing colors until end of the year?

Also, if just keeping up with regular EV/PHEV purchases takes 6-8 weeks now (to issue new decals), how long will it take at the end of the year to issue new stickers to 2 years worth of vehicles?


I concur. It makes much more sense to have the new red stickers go the full period as there is no sense in introducing the red stickers now if they have to be replaced in January. But the paper that came with it clearly says it expires end of year, which means it is only good for less than 1 year. I do hope they will have a simple online renewal that allows printing out a new paper granting the 3 year extension and no new sticker. But this is the government we are talking about, so I wouldn't count on anything sensible or efficient.


Looks like they updated the language on DMV website to indicate that red decals are valid until January 1, 2022.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal

DarthPuppy
Posts: 660
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:45 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 pm

akat wrote:Looks like they updated the language on DMV website to indicate that red decals are valid until January 1, 2022.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal

Oh that is good news! Thank you for posting! :D :D :D
'13 Leaf SL
'18 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV

akat
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:41 am

DarthPuppy wrote:
akat wrote:Looks like they updated the language on DMV website to indicate that red decals are valid until January 1, 2022.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal

Oh that is good news! Thank you for posting! :D :D :D


Same website also says the current 2017 and 2018 issued white and green decal drivers will have to wait until *2019* to apply for a red decal. For a month or two early next year, perhaps us red decal-ers will have the carpool lane to ourselves (except for those people actually carpooling :) ). :)

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9506
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:49 am

PIA looking to get a petition going to allow current EVs to stay in the HOV lanes:

https://pluginamerica.org/policy/calls-to-action/let-ev-drivers-stay-in-ca-hov-lanes/?eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=1c27a294-a39d-4d40-90bf-17faa611e768

Not entirely sure I think it's a good idea, since the HOV lanes are getting pretty crowded, but I signed it anyhow.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 76,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

ScottUrman
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:21 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 310051
Location: Foster City, CA

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:25 pm

Starting in 2020 CA low income drivers who buy a used EV with expired carpool stickers will be able to get new ones:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art ... 242718.php

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”