palmermd
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:02 pm

davewill wrote:
palmermd wrote:how is law enforcement supposed to know if a sticker was issued in 2016 or 2017 or 2018. They all look alike! In the past they changed color when they wanted to expire a group. The yellow stickers were expired and then they went to the green/white that is currently in use. If they don't have a new color they will not be able to tell what year it was issued, so how do they determine if its expired?

That's why people who got them in 2017 and 2018 will have to get new stickers to go past 1/1/19. They'll have new ones that expire at the right time.


I saw the details in another article. When I wrote that, it did not say they were getting new colors, and without that it would be impossible to know when a sticker was applied. It makes sense with another color change.

But really the whole sticker thing is just annoying. Either let them in the lane or not, don't try and only allow new cars and try and get rid of old ones. Really should be just for carpools only, and just stop the sticker program all together.
Michael

Leaf since 31 March 2011
Driving electric since 1996


First Bar Loss
Second Bar Loss
Third Bar Loss
Fourth Bar Loss

ScottUrman
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:21 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 310051
Location: Foster City, CA

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:59 am

How long does it take to get the stickers? I applied for ours a month ago, and haven't received them yet.

EVforRobert
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:51 pm
Delivery Date: 25 Sep 2015
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:13 pm

cwerdna wrote:Just learned from https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-2598431 they'll be issuing RED stickers soon, but stupidly, it's only valid until 1/1/19, just like the white and green ones. Weird!

From the wording, it seems like they might apply to ZEVs like EVs since ZEVs are considered part of ILEVs. Not 100% clear.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal reflects this right now. https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm I'm guessing will be updated soon.


my best guess:
It sounds like all stickers going forward will be red. Drivers issued stickers in 2017 and 2018 will be able to apply for a new sticker in 2019 that is valid until January 1, 2022. The white and green from 2017 and 2018 would have to be peeled off and replaced with red. The 2018 issued red stickers stay on but must reapply to be valid past 1/1/2019.
2015 SV LED + Quickcharge Mfg 10/14
61.34 AHr 500 mi. 53.90 AHr 22438 mi. 5/18 12cb
2016 S 30kWh Mfg 9/16 82.34 AHr 4 miles. 5/18 AHr 72.09 SOH 90.7% 19462 mi 70.32 20091 mi

cmwade77
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:04 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2017

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:37 pm

So let me see if I have this straight:
If a sticker was issued in 2017 or 2018, I can get a new red sticker good until 2022. If it was issued prior to this, after January I am simply out of luck, right?

So, I bought my car in 2017, but I bought it used and it didn't have carpool lane stickers on it already, I got those last year, so according to these rules, I can apply for the new Red stickers.

But a friend of mine who bought their car used can't if their stickers were issued prior to 2017. Additionally, I can't apply for said stickers for our other plugin hybrid as those stickers were originally issued before 2017 as well.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 4721
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:36 pm

cmwade77 wrote:So let me see if I have this straight:
If a sticker was issued in 2017 or 2018, I can get a new red sticker good until 2022. If it was issued prior to this, after January I am simply out of luck, right?

So, I bought my car in 2017, but I bought it used and it didn't have carpool lane stickers on it already, I got those last year, so according to these rules, I can apply for the new Red stickers.

But a friend of mine who bought their car used can't if their stickers were issued prior to 2017. Additionally, I can't apply for said stickers for our other plugin hybrid as those stickers were originally issued before 2017 as well.


That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is the stickers were originally set to expire Jan 1 2015. They were later extended to Jan 1 2019. Now they've been extended additional years, but for newer vehicles. This is an attempt to reduce overcrowding on some of the HOV corridors.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

RonDawg
Posts: 2773
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:42 am

Nubo wrote:That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is the stickers were originally set to expire Jan 1 2015. They were later extended to Jan 1 2019. Now they've been extended additional years, but for newer vehicles. This is an attempt to reduce overcrowding on some of the HOV corridors.


It's not so much an attempt to reduce it, but to allow new eligible vehicles to take advantage of the privilege without making things even worse. Otherwise it might cause new sales of such vehicles to slow down in this state if the privilege were not extended to them. With fuel prices being low and leases available on conventional ICEVs for similar or less money, solo HOV lane access is the only real consumer incentive to go with a plug-in car unless you are conscientious about the environment (not a particularly American trait when our best selling "car" is the Ford F-150).

If they really wanted to reduce crowding, they would take this privilege away from non-carpools completely.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 4883
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:54 am

palmermd wrote:...
But really the whole sticker thing is just annoying. Either let them in the lane or not, don't try and only allow new cars and try and get rid of old ones. Really should be just for carpools only, and just stop the sticker program all together.


It does make sense when you realize that the sticker program is all about selling NEW cars rather than about rewarding EV use in general. The logic is that once a new EV is sold, it's on the road and likely to stay there, so no need to incentivise further ownership. Add to that the fact that only so many cars can fit on the HOV lanes before it becomes no kind of perc at all, and you can see that they have to do it. The only reason the white stickers lasted as long as they did is because, for so many years, there were barely a trickle of alternative fuel vehicles. We're the victims of our own success in a way.

Carpooling is completely different because you have to keep encouraging future behavior, and the act of carpooling removes other vehicles from the road, further reducing congestion. The one that had me scratching my head is allowing motorcycles in the HOV lanes. They aren't particularly clean, so there's really no public purpose to including them that I can see.

However, paid access (Lexus Lane) just chaps my hide completely.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

cmwade77
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:04 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2017

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:05 pm

RonDawg wrote:
Nubo wrote:That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is the stickers were originally set to expire Jan 1 2015. They were later extended to Jan 1 2019. Now they've been extended additional years, but for newer vehicles. This is an attempt to reduce overcrowding on some of the HOV corridors.


It's not so much an attempt to reduce it, but to allow new eligible vehicles to take advantage of the privilege without making things even worse. Otherwise it might cause new sales of such vehicles to slow down in this state if the privilege were not extended to them. With fuel prices being low and leases available on conventional ICEVs for similar or less money, solo HOV lane access is the only real consumer incentive to go with a plug-in car unless you are conscientious about the environment (not a particularly American trait when our best selling "car" is the Ford F-150).

If they really wanted to reduce crowding, they would take this privilege away from non-carpools completely.

Umm, where do you live that gas prices are low? I can't get gas anywhere near me for less than $3.00 a gallon, I do not call that low by any standard.

cmwade77
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:04 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2017

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:09 pm

davewill wrote:
palmermd wrote:...
But really the whole sticker thing is just annoying. Either let them in the lane or not, don't try and only allow new cars and try and get rid of old ones. Really should be just for carpools only, and just stop the sticker program all together.


It does make sense when you realize that the sticker program is all about selling NEW cars rather than about rewarding EV use in general. The logic is that once a new EV is sold, it's on the road and likely to stay there, so no need to incentivise further ownership. Add to that the fact that only so many cars can fit on the HOV lanes before it becomes no kind of perc at all, and you can see that they have to do it. The only reason the white stickers lasted as long as they did is because, for so many years, there were barely a trickle of alternative fuel vehicles. We're the victims of our own success in a way.

Carpooling is completely different because you have to keep encouraging future behavior, and the act of carpooling removes other vehicles from the road, further reducing congestion. The one that had me scratching my head is allowing motorcycles in the HOV lanes. They aren't particularly clean, so there's really no public purpose to including them that I can see.

However, paid access (Lexus Lane) just chaps my hide completely.

Yes, but wouldn't have made more sense to do something like:
Green stickers will not be renewed, the program is terminated and plug-in hybrids no longer qualify for the carpool lanes.
White stickers will be honored for x number of years, then be phased out, but no additional white stickers will be issued.
Red stickers will be valid for 5 years from when received and print on the Red stickers large numbers that indicate the expiration year.

RonDawg
Posts: 2773
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: CA HOV Stickers Expiring Year End?

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:32 pm

cmwade77 wrote:Umm, where do you live that gas prices are low? I can't get gas anywhere near me for less than $3.00 a gallon, I do not call that low by any standard.


$3.00/gallon is expensive by US standards today, but again isn't exactly dissuading some Californians from buying bro-dozers. Even in this state, with rare exceptions like the Prius, smaller high-MPG cars don't sell as well as larger and more thirsty models. GM and Ford sell far more light duty pickups than compacts. Ford just discontinued the Fiesta here in the US because sales just don't support continuing to sell it here. Even Toyota sells more Camrys than Corollas year after year.

And it's low compared to what we were paying 10 years ago, when some gas stations had $5+/gallon pricing. According to https://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/12/driving ... e-50s.html, gasoline in 1956 was an average of 30 cents/gallon. That's worth $2.77 in today's money....California is more expensive, but not that much more expensive. A quick Google search shows the average price right now is around $2.53 for regular. So as a country, we're paying less than we did 62 years ago.

And remember that's an average of the entire country. When some parts of Oregon finally got self-serve gas, a popular meme being distributed shows a clip from Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" of a gas station exploding; the prices that were posted were in the mid 30 cent range. The scene was filmed in Marin County, so that's likely what prices were in that area at that time.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”