Leaf rides better than Tesla Model 3

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetson

The Leaf rides better on city streets than the Tesla Model 3:

https://youtu.be/idT_-ZRUqdw

While the Model is faster. If you live in a big city like Los Angeles or San Francisco the Leaf provides a smoother ride.

The cup of liquid is fine to have a visual representation, but the acceleration and breaking forces could have a huge impact of how much spills out. The data from vibration monitoring would be the only true measure. It also doesn't include any dampening provided by the seat.

I'm sure it does ride better on city streets when not under duress. It is tuned differently. The model 3 is designed with a stiffer ride in mind to minimize body roll and handle better. It is an interesting test, but if you did one between a BMW M5 and a Toyota Avalon you'd see similar results.

A link to the TMC thread where you originally posted the video: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/three-weeks-and-my-biggest-disapointment-in-the-model-3.106924/

Actually the Model 3 is supposed to be "The first mainstream electric car" not a sports car. They don't let you test drive it before you buy it. They need to let people know the truth. My Model S and BMW 335I both handle that same road better.

The Leaf is only carrying 30kWh of batteries, the Model 3 has 75 kWh, so I'm expecting a stiffer suspension. The Leaf tires are what, like 37psi, and the Model 3 is 45psi? And, as other said, the Model 3 suspension is probably designed to be a sport suspension, like the BMW 3 series it is modeled after. I know its not for everyone, some people don't like the rough ride, but the car magazines would not have been happy if they tested the Model 3 and it had tons of body roll and a mushy suspension.

The handling comparison between the new LEAF and a long range Model 3 is simply laughable. The Model 3 handling is top class and the LEAF is well, very LEAF like. This could be also be titled the M3 handles incredibly and the LEAF is pretty poor. This video is pretty silly since they are different cars. Add all wheel drive and the M3 will be one insane performer.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
It is an interesting test, but if you did one between a BMW M5 and a Toyota Avalon you'd see similar results.
Both the M3 and the LEAF lose out in this key EV demographic, where the Avalon is a strong market performer.

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/205436-villages-nations-fastest-growing

Not sure what is "better" here. I don't need a meter to tell me the LEAF ride is smoother. It obvious in the video despite the LEAF traveling faster in several parts of the video but there is no baseline info here.

what tires? what pressure, etc? same road does not mean same driving line. Granted the T3 is bouncier but it also has less clearance so it does not have the same damping range to play with. Its a trade off.

There is no such thing as a car that wins every category even within a single segment and this is a perfect example.

Jetson said:
Actually the Model 3 is supposed to be "The first mainstream electric car" not a sports car. They don't let you test drive it before you buy it. They need to let people know the truth. My Model S and BMW 335I both handle that same road better.

Actually, the Model 3 has always been compared to a BMW 3-series. IOW, it is an entry-level luxury sports sedan. That is not truly "mainstream". The Bolt isn't "mainstream" either. Only the Leaf really fits that bill.

Actually Tesla described the Model 3 as "the first mainstream electric car". They do not described it as a sports car. Obviously the Leaf doesn't handle turns as well as the Model 3. But most people don't get to drive their cars on race tracks or test tracks but city roads. This test just demonstrates the Leaf provides a more comfortable ride on a bumpy city street. If you don't believe me come drive this street.

Jetson said:
They do not described it as a sports car.
*Nobody* has described it as a sports car. You keep saying this statement on every forum. Please read more carefully.
GetOffYourGas said:
Not surprising. The Model 3 is a sports sedan.
GetOffYourGas said:
Actually, the Model 3 has always been compared to a BMW 3-series. IOW, it is an entry-level luxury sports sedan.

Back