Extension of Leaf Lease Because of Model 3 Delay

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swhang

Hi everyone,

So I've had my Leaf 2015 for a while now. I extended it with the 3 months free program they did last year. It was for 9 months.

But that 9 months will come to an end in March for me. I had thought I would get my hands on a Model 3 by now. I am a day 1 reservation holder.

My new timeline has been pushed back to June-Aug 2018. Yikes!

So I will probably need to extend my lease if possible.

Is it as simple as paying the same monthly payment as before? Or have people been able to renegotiate to lower their payments?

I am paying $370 a month for a 2015 Nissan Leaf SL. It currently has 33,000 miles and has lost a bar.

I am betting you will have enough time to jump into a 2 year lease on a 2017. 30 kwh and probably going SUPER cheap since the 40 kwh LEAFs are now starting to show up

DaveinOlyWA said:
I am betting you will have enough time to jump into a 2 year lease on a 2017. 30 kwh and probably going SUPER cheap since the 40 kwh LEAFs are now starting to show up

I don't believe there are any 2017 model year Leafs left in the USA.

There are. The SV is most rare, but there are still S and SL models available. If you do try to extend your lease, tell Nissan that you are waiting for the 60kwh LEAF, not the Tesla! And don't try to renegotiate the payment.

coupedncal said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

yesterday there were 9 listed in the US including two in Western WA

swhang said:
Hi everyone,

So I've had my Leaf 2015 for a while now. I extended it with the 3 months free program they did last year. It was for 9 months.

But that 9 months will come to an end in March for me. I had thought I would get my hands on a Model 3 by now. I am a day 1 reservation holder.

My new timeline has been pushed back to June-Aug 2018. Yikes!

So I will probably need to extend my lease if possible.

Is it as simple as paying the same monthly payment as before? Or have people been able to renegotiate to lower their payments?

I am paying $370 a month for a 2015 Nissan Leaf SL. It currently has 33,000 miles and has lost a bar.

I'm in basically the same boat (Mod 3 res with June-Aug delivery estimate)

Just got something in the mail today from NMAC, unsolicited. A new contract extension through the end of July. I need to read the fine print, but the cover letter says no early termination fee if my new '18 Leaf (which I haven't ordered or reserved) arrives before the new maturity date (04 Aug 18).

My monthly payments are lower than yours, though. Makes the decision pretty easy. Hoping Nissan at least announces detailed specs & timeline for the 60 kWh by then.

PS-My Leaf is a '13 SV with the original maturity date of 04 Jan 17.

Lease extensions seem to always be month to month now - no penalties for "early" termination. I wonder if I'll get that offer. At $159 a month the longer I wait, the more money I save.

LeftieBiker said:
Lease extensions seem to always be month to month now - no penalties for "early" termination. I wonder if I'll get that offer. At $159 a month the longer I wait, the more money I save.

At $159 a month, that's a no brainer. Even if you don't get the 3 month extension, it's a great deal. Much cheaper than trying to rent a car for a couple of months.

Mine is $370 a month, so the decision is a bit harder.

What about the margin between what you can buy out your lease for today vs. what you can sell it for in 6 months? If you stand to lose less than 6 × $370 on that, then that might be another option, especially if there are any buyout incentives available. I'm considering that option as well.

Back