Fully Autonomous Driving Leaf Option

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

I bought a 2018 Nissan Leaf without the Technology Package because I thought that it will not lead to a self driving autonomous automobile like the Tesla. The Tesla, although it is not autonomous, has all the hardware for autonomous so after they perfect the software and get congressional approval, an over the air software update will instantly make all Teslas autonomous. However, am I wrong? Does the 2018 Nissan Leaf with the Technology Package have all the hardware for fully autonomous driving? So, in the future, a software update will make a 2018 Nissan Leaf fully autonomous?

If so, I have buyer's remorse for not buying the Technology Package. Is it too late to buy this package from the dealer AFTER I've already taken delivery of my Leaf and drove it around?

Thanks.

Whether or not you could return the car for an upgraded model is up to the dealer. If you have only put a few miles on it, and want a more expensive car, they will probably accommodate you.

I doubt the 2018 Leaf could be upgraded to fully autonomous function. The hardware is more expensive, and Nissan is trying to keep the cost down. Since the car was not sold with that intent, it could lead to liability issues that Nissan does not want to accept.

The 2018 Nissan Leaf with Propilot does not have enough hardware to be fully autonomous. It has a Mobileye EyeQ3 chip. Mobileye is starting to ship its EyeQ4 processor with 10x the processing power, but even that is not enough to be fully autonomous according to Mobileye. Will need the EyeQ5 chip which is scheduled to start shipping in 2020.

The EyeQ4 processor will allow level 2 and level 3 autonomy, which is pretty nice. You can divert your attention away as long as you can resume control if the system requires it.
More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_centering#2018_Mobileye_EyeQ4

self driving autonomous automobile

My speculation is that we'll be underwhelmed by self driving autonomous automobile (SDAA) . In fact, it may be infuriating to follow behind one, or to be a quasi-passenger.

I'd think it would be like driving behind a very careful, elderly driver who avoids any risk of accident. They won't do "slow rolling right turns", and may stay well behind the car in front even during stop-and-go conditions.

Most rudely, they may go the speed limit even if the prevailing speed of other vehicles is significantly higher, and thus invite more than a few rear-end collisions. In general, the safest speed is that which matches the speed of other vehicles, even if that is over the speed limit.

I find it frustrating to be behind an excessively careful, timid driver. I'd guess that is what self driving autonomous automobiles will drive like. At some point, that could be infuriating. There is a lot of judgement involved in driving, and I'd expect the SDAA to error very much on caution.

lilly said:
I bought a 2018 Nissan Leaf without the Technology Package because I thought that it will not lead to a self driving autonomous automobile like the Tesla. The Tesla, although it is not autonomous, has all the hardware for autonomous so after they perfect the software and get congressional approval, an over the air software update will instantly make all Teslas autonomous. However, am I wrong?
LOL. Who knows when that'll happen and whether the hardware currently on board any shipping Tesla is actually sufficient for level 5 autonomy?

You should probably following along at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/autonomous-car-progress.99413/ and look at these, as well:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/autonomous-car-progress.99413/page-5#post-2541464
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/autonomous-car-progress.99413/page-6
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/autonomous/testing, specifically CA disengagement reports for 2015 thru 2017 for Tesla vs. Waymo/Google
lilly said:
Does the 2018 Nissan Leaf with the Technology Package have all the hardware for fully autonomous driving? So, in the future, a software update will make a 2018 Nissan Leaf fully autonomous?
Highly doubtful. Nissan has never made any promises or commitments to this effect on '18 Leafs.

ldallan said:
self driving autonomous automobile
Most rudely, they may go the speed limit even if the prevailing speed of other vehicles is significantly higher, and thus invite more than a few rear-end collisions. In general, the safest speed is that which matches the speed of other vehicles, even if that is over the speed limit.

I find it frustrating to be behind an excessively careful, timid driver. I'd guess that is what self driving autonomous automobiles will drive like. At some point, that could be infuriating.

Lol

I drive at or below the speed limit almost all the time. As long as you’re not obstructing the passing lanes...

I find it much more relaxing with auto steering and adaptive cruise to hang out at or below the speed limit in the right lanes.

Let the crazies pass on the left.. it’s the a-holes going 75mph in the right hand lane, darting around traffic that cause most of the problems.

I will avoid auto driving cars until I die.... They are part of a master plan for the government to control every aspect of our lives and track where every person will be...

The only benefit I can see with self-driving cars is for old and disabled people to be able to own their own transportation, which will give them more independence....

I don’t see this car with current hardware ever being fully autonomous. The pro-pilot now works on expressway only (if there are cross streets it gets messed up when the lines change for a left turn lane or right deceleration lane- every time) and doesn’t work in rain or bright sunlight.

Back