Upgraded '12 LEAF to '16 Mercedes B250e

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatricioEV

My LEAF has nearly 90k miles on it, still works flawlessly and looks all but brand new (I'm a bit obsessive about my cars), but I decided it was time for something a bit more luxurious in my life. I bought a Jupiter red 2016 B250e with 9,400 miles and every available option, including the brown leather interior. So far, I love it! Here are some highlights:

* Longer range. I'm already seeing a very consistent improvement from the LEAF and it only gets better if you use the Range option (have only done it once).
* Better acceleration. It is noticeably quicker overall (though a bit less so right off the line) than the LEAF. In fact, the overall driving feel is smoother, quieter and more refined.
* Power, memory position front seats with adjustable thigh and lumbar support, and side/under seat storage. Very nice touch!
* Tilt AND telescoping wheel.
* Fold down rear seat arm rest with cup holders. Come on, Nissan!
* Apple Carplay/Android Auto and just a much better overall user interface. Also, can talk to text, add to calendar, check calendar/weather, etc...
* Radar based recouperation and steering wheel paddles to adjust regen strength (very nice touch).
* Parking sensors and parking assist.
* MUCH nicer fit and finish and feel. You get what you pay for and Mercedes always delivers in this area.
* Multi-color ambient lighting, emergency braking, Harmon Kardon sound system, illuminated door sills, Artico covered doors and dash....
*FORGOT THIS ONE! - much faster on board charger!!

What I will add:

* Nicer looking, OEM Mercedes wheels
* Power folding side mirrors (is an option on other B class and an easy upgrade).
* Sunroof - ? Maybe. I added one to me LEAF and am very glad I did, but don't know that I'll do it with the Benz.

What I wish it had:

* The panoramic roof that is available on the gas/diesel versions of the B class.
* Ventilated front seats. My GLC300 has these and they are sublime in Texas!
* HUD. These are SWEAT! My GLC300 has it.
* Power liftgate. Really? Not even an option on the B?
* Even longer range. Ok, I don't need it; I've put 90k on a LEAF in 6 years with slightly less range, but it would still be nice to have.

BTW, I still have the LEAF. My 17 year old son just got his drivers license, so that will be his car until he is off to college next year. Both my kids learned to drive on the LEAF and it is the car they both prefer to drive. My daughter ended up with a Smart ForTwo, but only because she has no place to charge an EV.

27459529_10215366980224740_8312248277167648172_n.jpg

nice! the b250 is a nice alternative and step up from the Leaf. is there a way to monitor battery health with these? how many miles per kwh are you averaging if you have driven enough yet? i wish the leaf had lumbar support.. that is probably one of the biggest things i miss from my Audi.

are you sure on switching out the wheels though? looks like these are aero wheels so you will likely hurt range.

cheers
Marko

Does the B250e have heated seats and steering wheel? I wasn't able to find them in listings. I'm guessing no front camera. How does the parking assist work? Last, did Mercedes stop making these cars after 2017?

Nice!

I test drove one when they first came out and loved it. If it was available when I bought my 2013 Leaf, I would have gone for the B. Of course, I say the same about the VW Golf. Between Golf and B, I would have gone B unless my budget was getting strained. Seems like a great car if the range works for you.

Also glad to hear you are starting the kids out on very efficient cars.

estomax said:
nice! the b250 is a nice alternative and step up from the Leaf. is there a way to monitor battery health with these? how many miles per kwh are you averaging if you have driven enough yet? i wish the leaf had lumbar support.. that is probably one of the biggest things i miss from my Audi.

are you sure on switching out the wheels though? looks like these are aero wheels so you will likely hurt range.

cheers
Marko

Not that I'm aware of. I never pay any attention to my efficiency. I did when I first got my LEAF, but quickly quit looking. As long as they get me where I need to be, I'm good. The B is definitely not as efficient as the LEAF, but again, it has more range even so.

Probably yes on the wheels. Even if I loose a bit of range, they will just look so much better. I did the same for my LEAF - Juke wheels.

[URL=http://s1087.photobucket.com/u...62/PatricioEV/2012 Leaf SL/DSC01765.jpg[/img][/url]

LeftieBiker said:
Does the B250e have heated seats and steering wheel? I wasn't able to find them in listings. I'm guessing no front camera. How does the parking assist work? Last, did Mercedes stop making these cars after 2017?

Yes, heated seats (if equipped, and much better than the LEAF), but no heated steering wheel, which is odd frankly.
No front camera, but has front radar (if equipped).
Parking assist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojyWuxEN_Vc
Yes, 2017 was the last year for the B250e.

DarthPuppy said:
Nice!

I test drove one when they first came out and loved it. If it was available when I bought my 2013 Leaf, I would have gone for the B. Of course, I say the same about the VW Golf. Between Golf and B, I would have gone B unless my budget was getting strained. Seems like a great car if the range works for you.

Also glad to hear you are starting the kids out on very efficient cars.

Agreed. When I bought my LEAF, it was the only EV on the market you could buy. I would not have paid full price for this B250e ($52k), but at $25k pre-owned, I think it is a great buy!

The kids love how smooth, quiet, and easy EVs are to drive. I really think that is what will ultimately sway most people.

powersurge said:
Is that car a Mercedes-made car?? It looks like a Japanese car rebranded for Mercedes?

Yes, this is built by Mercedes on the same platform as the A, CLA and GLA. The EV bits are provided by Tesla, however.

I had a 2014 B and now I have a 2017 B. I spent a year with an eGolf but I love the B. Mine has premium3 and lots of bells and whistles.

It does have heated seats but no heated wheel. In Southern California I do not miss it. The Leaf's was either too hot or the thermostat had turned it off. I have had two leaf,s and really love the replacement B. I will never again have a car without blind spot assist,

PatricioEV said:
LeftieBiker said:

Yes, heated seats (if equipped, and much better than the LEAF), but no heated steering wheel, which is odd frankly.

Thanks! Sadly, I can't drive a car without a heated wheel in Winter, and want to avoid leather seats, so I have to scratch this one off my list as well. That and there aren't any loaded ones in my region.

Well, my car has the MTex leatherette seats. I must say a heated steering wheel is a luxury in Southern California. I suppose it matters to those who get snow. Leather seats in a Mercedes is a rare thing.

Mercedes has now discontuned the car but when it was available my car listed for just under 49K and I leased it for 32K. As I understand it Mercedes gave 10K and the dealer 6K. The Mercedes money included the 7500 tax rebate so they will get that back.

The only thing about driving a discontinued car is that some parts slowly come from Germany. I stupidly over turned at a U turn and it took 2 months to repair the car. The recommenced body shop did a fine job but it took longer than my rental money. For a month I drove a dealer loaner. It is good to drive a luxury car!

LeftieBiker said:
PatricioEV said:
LeftieBiker said:

Thanks! Sadly, I can't drive a car without a heated wheel in Winter, and want to avoid leather seats, so I have to scratch this one off my list as well. That and there aren't any loaded ones in my region.

All Mercedes have front equipped radar breaking. It is one of the selling points.

The radar is located in the front behind the large Mercedes emblem. What Jeff's car does have is the recuperation paddles. He has fixed recuperation.

PatricioEV said:
[but at $25k pre-owned, I think it is a great buy!

Dang I didn't realize slightly used B's were going for that much of a discount. Is that a CPO or a private party price?

DarthPuppy said:
PatricioEV said:
[but at $25k pre-owned, I think it is a great buy!

Dang I didn't realize slightly used B's were going for that much of a discount. Is that a CPO or a private party price?

I actually bought it from CarMax and had it shipped from OR to TX. I wanted all the options and one of a couple of colors. This left my options pretty limited since not many were ever made. I will say dealing with CarMax was great. I didn't have to buy once i inspected it (though I wouldn't have received a refund on the shipping), and there was zero pressure about financing (brought my own) or warranty (declined). It was easy, quick, and low pressure.

Good thing I wanted white. My dealer had 3 white and 2 black cars. I really like the off white and I hate the black. I had a 2018 GLS300 loaner in black and the only thing about it that I liked was it was free. I HATE BLACK! The most common colors are Silver , Black, and White. Of them I love white and hate the others.

GlennD said:
Good thing I wanted white. My dealer had 3 white and 2 black cars. I really like the off white and I hate the black. I had a 2018 GLS300 loaner in black and the only thing about it that I liked was it was free. I HATE BLACK! The most common Mercedes colors are Silver , Black, and White. Of them I love white and hate the others.

I had a Silver trooper and I was happy to get rid of it! White or metallic grey is my choices . At this time it is white first.

Back