2018 First two weeks...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitman007

So we have had our SL for 2 weeks now and so far we love the car. My only issue is the Nissan Leaf EV Connect app is not working. My car is communicating with the network but nothing is getting through to Nissan or from Nissan to my app..not sure which. EV support opened a case for me but this seems like a 24 hour fix and its been two weeks. A big let down since the app is important to me. Other than that the car shows 160 miles after a full charge and for us that translates into charging 3 times per week. Quality seems good and interior is very nice and comfortable. Seats are FAR superior to the Bolt we test drove.

log out of the car and log back in (carwings), that seems to fix it when my phone stops being able to sync up with the car.

have you checked the website access? the website connection seemed to work for me even though the phone one didnt.

Marko

I have the same issue...

I guess we were all hoping this would have been all sorted out with the update...

Hope they fix it soon, I like the feature when it works :)

The TCU upgrade rollout really couldn't have gone much worse, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a quick fix from Nissan.

After seeing the initial and on going issues that people were having with "upgraded" TCUs, I decided it wasn't even worth the $200 they wanted - too much potential downsides and frustration.

Hope I'm wrong though, really can't understand why Nissan still hasn't figured this out properly. Also can't understand why they didn't switch to a TCU where you could use your own SIM card or use a WiFi connection instead.

We have also had the new 2018 leaf for two weeks. This is our third leaf. first being a 2012 S, second being a 2015
S with the charge package, third being a 2018 SV with the weather package and the technology package. This is a far superior car than our past leafs. Comfort, feel, driving stability and technological advances are what I notice most about the new leaf. The Pro Pilot assist is not perfect but it sure works well on dry pavement when the lines are visible. We still have some gravel on the road shoulders here in Central Oregon so the lines tend to get covered up and the sensors will lose them periodikly . The system also losses track of where it is when there is a exit with a long distance without lines. ( maybe more than 75 to 100 yds.) But in my opinion for early technology, this system is working very well. The car will drive itself for long periods of time on a single lane road with no lane changes with just a grip of thumb and index finger wraped around the steering wheel. It is very easy to over ride and take control of when it seems necesary. It is a little scary letting the car drive when there is a semi in the other lane as oncoming traffic.
I am also very pleased with the range as it appears that we are actually able to get the 150 miles of range as advertised. We are averaging 3.8 miles per KW hr.
The E pedal function is also very pleasant to drive with, actually will come to a complete stop without touching the brake pedal at all. It actually is a one pedal driving vehicle.

Also getting 3.8 miles per KW hour. Usually it says range 165 after a full charge. Love the car so far. It is a bummer the Nissan Connect EV app is not working. I came from a Tesla and their app worked flawlessly from day 1. Nissan should consult with them to fix this issue! lol

I have had issues with Nissan Connect EV as well. I bought 2018 Leaf SL back in early February. The app would not display any charge/mileage info and I could not control the car’s temperature remotely, even though I was all set up at the Owner’s Portal and all the info in my car’s touch screen was set properly. In short, the app never worked at all. After numerous calls to the helpline, and after two tickets were opened by helpline reps, I was told there was an issue with the TCU and that I had to take my car back to the dealership to get the TCU repaired. That is not what you want to hear when you have had your car for less than two weeks. I took it back to the dealership. They kept the car for three days. They completely replaced the TCU. When they returned the car to me, they told me that it was now up to the folks at the Nissan Connect EV helpline to “reset” the TCU. That, to my chagrin, did not fix the issue. So what did the helpline do? They opened another ticket.

The last I hear from the helpline is that the issue appears to be that Sirius XM, whose platform is used to operate the TCU, needed to be provided with a code/serial number. Nissan’s helpline informed me that they provided Sirius XM with that code/serial number yesterday. I am suppose to receive an update from the helpline by Monday, after they follow up with Sirius XM. I am not holding my breath. The Nissan Connect EV has been the only negative I have encountered with the 2018 Leaf.

Solution found. Finally got someone at Nissan that knew what to do. Had to go out to car and press SOS button. This was supposed to be done by dealer to initialize the Telematics. Once I did that in exactly 24 hours everything was working. They said 24 to 48 hrs.

We just got our '18 LEAF four days ago - loving it so far. Today will be the first 'long drive' (120 miles round trip). The fuel gauge seems accurate so far (unlike our 2012 LEAF!) so I don't think there will be any problems, but there are charging stations along the way, just in case ;-)
Can't say anything bad about the car (except for the 'Nissan Connect' problem) - it powerful, smooth, torquey, comfortable and appears to really have the claimed range of 150 miles (again today will be the first test of this).

On our old LEAF it was recommended to charge to 80% on a regular basis and only charge to 100% when absolutely necessary - this to improve battery longevity - however, I don't see any mention of this for the Gen II LEAF. I searched the owner's manual - nothing. No recommendations by the dealership - seems that this is no longer a concern? OK to charge to 100% every day? Anyone heard anything about this?

On our old LEAF it was recommended to charge to 80% on a regular basis and only charge to 100% when absolutely necessary - this to improve battery longevity - however, I don't see any mention of this for the Gen II LEAF. I searched the owner's manual - nothing. No recommendations by the dealership - seems that this is no longer a concern? OK to charge to 100% every day? Anyone heard anything about this?

I have always charged to 100%. I think the important thing is battery temperature and not leave charged at 100% for any period of time. My 3 leafs have always been kept in a cool garage and charged with level 2. My 2012 only had 10% degradation after 3 years and 44,000 miles. My 2015 showed no noticeable degradation after 3 years and 39,000 miles. I do not have leaf spy so cannot be as accurate about this as others who do.
I have always in the past charged after almost every use as we usually used about 80-90% of the capacity. With the 2018 leaf this will not be the case. So far we a getting back from our trips with over 50% of capacity left. I have a decision to make whether I will be charging at 50% or doing 2 days use and running capacity down very low before recharging.

hitman007 said:
Also getting 3.8 miles per KW hour. Usually it says range 165 after a full charge. Love the car so far. It is a bummer the Nissan Connect EV app is not working. I came from a Tesla and their app worked flawlessly from day 1. Nissan should consult with them to fix this issue! lol

you are probably closer to that 165 than you realize. There is a HUGE hidden buffer at the bottom of the pack. Check out part two of my blog (at the end although the first part is interesting too... :) )

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2018/03/2018-very-casual-range-test-why-leaf.html

TNRC said:

I have always charged to 100%. I think the important thing is battery temperature and not leave charged at 100% for any period of time. My 3 leafs have always been kept in a cool garage and charged with level 2. My 2012 only had 10% degradation after 3 years and 44,000 miles. My 2015 showed no noticeable degradation after 3 years and 39,000 miles. I do not have leaf spy so cannot be as accurate about this as others who do.
I have always in the past charged after almost every use as we usually used about 80-90% of the capacity. With the 2018 leaf this will not be the case. So far we a getting back from our trips with over 50% of capacity left. I have a decision to make whether I will be charging at 50% or doing 2 days use and running capacity down very low before recharging.

Heat acts as a catalyst for the detrimental effects of high SOC so its helps to be cool but degradation is still there. Its a voltage thing. So time is critical.

The real advice is simply do not charge to full if you don't need it. Too many people here have the extra range and I get this "Now I only charge every 2 or 3 days" and that is a HUGE mistake!

Do not charge to full unless you need that full range! Nissan did not step and make it easy for you but that does not mean you don't have options.

The real advice is simply do not charge to full if you don't need it. Too many people here have the extra range and I get this "Now I only charge every 2 or 3 days" and that is a HUGE mistake!

Thanks Dave for your reply to this.

I will now be adjusting my state of charge with the charge timer and if I need 50 % charge I will charge for about 2.5 hrs.

PS. I am a frequent reader of your blog

TNRC said:

Thanks Dave for your reply to this.

I will now be adjusting my state of charge with the charge timer and if I need 50 % charge I will charge for about 2.5 hrs.

PS. I am a frequent reader of your blog

Well thanks for reading!

I have pretty much decided I will only charge to full when temp is under 50º and do whatever I can to make the charge finish at or near my departure time.

FYI; twice I have left within 5 mins of charge complete time but 3-4 times I have left before charge was complete but still had PLENTY of range to make it! :)

Love 40 kwh!

Today will be the first 'long drive' (120 miles round trip)

We were able to drive 54 miles using 39% of the battery, which extrapolates to about 138 miles total range, not bad. And if it's true that there is a 'reserve' of another 10 miles or so - then it would seem likely to be able to go close to 150 miles/charge.

oobflyer said:

We were able to drive 54 miles using 39% of the battery, which extrapolates to about 138 miles total range, not bad. And if it's true that there is a 'reserve' of another 10 miles or so - then it would seem likely to be able to go close to 150 miles/charge.

The reserve is closer to 13 miles or 20 in my case driving VERY conservatively averaging 156 wh/mile verses the 2.23 wh/mile for the main part of the trip. Previous blog on range test was edited to add new info.

Per my message below, i was waiting for a call back from Nissan to tell me whether the code/serial number they provided to Sirius XM resolved the issue I was having with the Nissan Connect EV app. I did not receive a call back. That said, about a week after Nissan transmitted the code/serial number to Sirius XM, I logged onto the Nissan Connect EV and saw that the app was finally receiving data from my vehicle. I can now use the app to check on my charge status, control my car’scumae remotely, etc. In short, it looks like the issue was successfully resolved.

NJLeaf75 said:
I have had issues with Nissan Connect EV as well. I bought 2018 Leaf SL back in early February. The app would not display any charge/mileage info and I could not control the car’s temperature remotely, even though I was all set up at the Owner’s Portal and all the info in my car’s touch screen was set properly. In short, the app never worked at all. After numerous calls to the helpline, and after two tickets were opened by helpline reps, I was told there was an issue with the TCU and that I had to take my car back to the dealership to get the TCU repaired. That is not what you want to hear when you have had your car for less than two weeks. I took it back to the dealership. They kept the car for three days. They completely replaced the TCU. When they returned the car to me, they told me that it was now up to the folks at the Nissan Connect EV helpline to “reset” the TCU. That, to my chagrin, did not fix the issue. So what did the helpline do? They opened another ticket.

The last I hear from the helpline is that the issue appears to be that Sirius XM, whose platform is used to operate the TCU, needed to be provided with a code/serial number. Nissan’s helpline informed me that they provided Sirius XM with that code/serial number yesterday. I am suppose to receive an update from the helpline by Monday, after they follow up with Sirius XM. I am not holding my breath. The Nissan Connect EV has been the only negative I have encountered with the 2018 Leaf.

oobflyer said:

39% seems like a lot. Was it mostly highway speeds? My commute happens to be almost exactly 54 miles (87km) through the mountains and I’ve never used more than 36%. I managed just 26% on a warm day once.

Back