WTF - 12 volt battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ispud

Over the past year the 12 volt battery has died 3, maybe 4 times. My local dealer cannot fix it and last time charged me $100 to reset codes and tell me that. I have read umpteen threads about this problem with nothing but questions remaining. The car is 2013. I love it other that this problem...which in my mind is unacceptable. After the second or third time I replaced the battery and it has happened twice since then...today and about 2,3 months ago. I did the battery because the Nissan service fellow told me that it might be the problem.

Who can I contact at Nissan to try and get some satisfaction.

Jack
[email protected]

Ummm... a more descriptive subject line might be helpful. Did you pay to have the $199 TCU upgrade done? Did the problems begin after that? (This isn't the only possible cause. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=502854#p502854 is what I'm talking about.)

The 12 volt on my used 5/2013 built SV bit the dust around Oct 2015. Was replaced for free under warranty. I'm still on that warranty replacement.

I'm still on my OEM battery after almost five years, but only because I use a maintainer almost every time I charge. Are you leaving your Leaf plugged in for hours before and/or after charging? This is the easiest way to kill the accessory battery in a 2013 Leaf. The "good" news is that if you use a maintainer, you can leave the car plugged in as long as you like.

I did get the upgrade and then the problems began. I brought it up to the service guys at Nissan, but they blew me off. I do have a dongle plugged in, it's bluetooth...and it has been in for probably 3 months with no noticeable battery drain. I have a battery tender hooked to the battery, and am dreading having to plug it in every night and unplug in the am for peace of mind.

J

The OBDII dongle is drawing power all the time from a 12v unswitched pin on the car's OBDII port. Remove the dongle and your problem will go away.

...or read the thread pointed out by @cwerdna...that has covered the TCU/modem upgrade issue from every possible angle :?

Most likely your issue is the TCU upgrade. It is well documented here on the forum. The dealer knows nothing about this issue. I have informed my local dealer who keeps pushing for the upgrade. I explained the problems that are widely reported here and I was told it was an internet wives tale and that they have done a lot of them and had no issues.... Of course "they" didn't have the issues, it is the customer that has the issue with batteries being toasted.

So unless you get that TCU disabled or removed I think your issues are going to persist. Do yourself a favor and check out the TCU upgrade thread and you will recognize the symptoms.

Back