tesleaf
Delivery Date: 24 Oct 2018

Re: One Year in a Used 2015 Leaf

Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:34 pm

Thanks for the update and data.

I didn't use leafSpy when I went to test drive yesterday for my Leaf purchase.
I read about people being able to reset the capacity bars but this dealer has been in Used Leaf business for a while and I trust him.

My 2015 Leaf S shows 12 bars and has 33K miles.
And yours has even more miles.
So my 12 bars is probably real.

I agree that 2015 S is a bargain. It has all the things I need.
I used to be fixated on purchasing a new EV to qualify for the $7500 tax credit, but buying a used Leaf is also a great way to go, I realized.
2015 Leaf S w/ QC . I have Leaf Spy Pro.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:46 pm

It probably is real, but mileage doesn't equate to or even roughly correspond with remaining capacity. It's all about how hot the battery got, and for how long, and how often, for a given pack type. With "Canary" packs the age of the pack also matters. There was a Leaf that turned 100,000 miles with 12 bars a couple of years ago (in a very cool climate) and many that have lost a bar before 10,000 miles.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

tattoogunman
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2016

Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:44 am

tesleaf wrote:Thanks for the update and data.

I didn't use leafSpy when I went to test drive yesterday for my Leaf purchase.
I read about people being able to reset the capacity bars but this dealer has been in Used Leaf business for a while and I trust him.

I agree that 2015 S is a bargain. It has all the things I need.
I used to be fixated on purchasing a new EV to qualify for the $7500 tax credit, but buying a used Leaf is also a great way to go, I realized.

I'm looking at a 2015 S this weekend as well, but I will be hooking Leaf Spy up to it before I make any decisions. It is showing all 12 bars and I think it's a California car. For me, I cannot afford to buy any of the new EVs on the market and quite frankly, I'm not a huge fan of the credits anyway since not everyone is entitled to them - something I think many people are confused about. I never owe taxes at the end of the year due to my income level, so the federal credit would do me no good anyway and that's if I could afford a new EV in the first place.

Hopefully the new bill that has been introduced to extend the credits is approved. From what I have read, it is also calling for the credits to be taken off of the purchase price at the time of sale rather than being tied to tax liability at the end of the year. I think that would go a long way towards making these cars more affordable to people who otherwise could not afford $30K or more for a car - personal opinion.

tesleaf

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:07 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
It probably is real, but mileage doesn't equate to or even roughly correspond with remaining capacity. It's all about how hot the battery got, and for how long, and how often, for a given pack type. With "Canary" packs the age of the pack also matters. There was a Leaf that turned 100,000 miles with 12 bars a couple of years ago (in a very cool climate) and many that have lost a bar before 10,000 miles.

I see.

Mine was a lease at santa rosa, CA which is a little north of San Francisco. I googled august weather and avg high temp is 82°F. Not bad.
Last edited by tesleaf on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

tesleaf

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:14 am

tattoogunman wrote:
I'm looking at a 2015 S this weekend as well, but I will be hooking Leaf Spy up to it before I make any decisions. It is showing all 12 bars and I think it's a California car. For me, I cannot afford to buy any of the new EVs on the market and quite frankly, I'm not a huge fan of the credits anyway since not everyone is entitled to them - something I think many people are confused about. I never owe taxes at the end of the year due to my income level, so the federal credit would do me no good anyway and that's if I could afford a new EV in the first place.

Hopefully the new bill that has been introduced to extend the credits is approved. From what I have read, it is also calling for the credits to be taken off of the purchase price at the time of sale rather than being tied to tax liability at the end of the year. I think that would go a long way towards making these cars more affordable to people who otherwise could not afford $30K or more for a car - personal opinion.

I test drove 3 leafs. 2014 SV and 2015 S. The one i got felt peppier than the other two and the interior/exterior also looked better. It could have been just the difference In the tire pressure but this one just felt and drove better like a new car.

tattoogunman
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2016

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:29 am

tesleaf wrote:
tattoogunman wrote:

I test drove 3 leafs. 2014 SV and 2015 S. The one i got felt peppier than the other two and the interior/exterior also looked better. It could have been just the difference In the tire pressure but this one just felt and drove better like a new car.

I've test drove them before and while I wouldn't turn down a top end model, I've traditionally been a base model kind of guy. It's not like the trim level is really helping the older cars maintain a much higher resale value to justify the extra money :D

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:22 pm

It's not like the trim level is really helping the older cars maintain a much higher resale value to justify the extra money :D

An S without Charge Package would likely be harder to sell than at least an S with it.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

tesleaf

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:08 pm

All of them had QC at the dealer I went.

pipestem
Delivery Date: 23 Sep 2017
Leaf Number: 327753

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:49 pm

tattoogunman wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of the credits anyway since not everyone is entitled to them - something I think many people are confused about. I never owe taxes at the end of the year due to my income level, so the federal credit would do me no good anyway and that's if I could afford a new EV in the first place.

The way this works is you still benefit from the tax credit even if you buy a used leaf. The credit suppresses the whole market though you may not 'feel' the entire 7500.

I am *just about* to lose that 12th bar but no matter, I still get decent range. Yesterdays GOM was 91, optimistic but satisfying.
2015 Leaf S. Red. 34K+ miles.

tesleaf

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:12 pm

pipestem wrote:
tattoogunman wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of the credits anyway since not everyone is entitled to them - something I think many people are confused about. I never owe taxes at the end of the year due to my income level, so the federal credit would do me no good anyway and that's if I could afford a new EV in the first place.

The way this works is you still benefit from the tax credit even if you buy a used leaf. The credit suppresses the whole market though you may not 'feel' the entire 7500.

I am *just about* to lose that 12th bar but no matter, I still get decent range. Yesterdays GOM was 91, optimistic but satisfying.

Mine lost the 1st bar today. SOH is 85%. Like everyone was saying the 1st bar is 15%.
I like my Leaf more everyday although it has been only about 2 weeks. :D
I let my 14 y.o. daughter move the car in the driveway using only the brake pedal today.
It was her first time operating a car. And it is an electric car!
We are living in that exciting time when the transition is happening.
Her kids will probably never drive an ICE.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”