kennethbokor
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 May 2018

Recent experience with new Leaf - wow! :)

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:09 pm

Just a quick note that I had an opportunity to spend a couple of days driving around Ottawa ON and Gatineau PQ area with the new Leaf. I drove both the SV and SL trims.

I have to say, I am really glad I went ahead and purchased the new Leaf. The car was amazing to drive- quiet, responsive, good suspension and comfortable. I took it on highways, city streets and country back roads - even some dirt road areas with extreme curves and bumps. Never did the new Leaf loose it's composure.

And that e-Pedal, I really can't say enough about it. I've never had any vehicle with any automation other than plain cruise control, so I was not really that excited about Pro-Pilot and e-Pedal. However, after using both of these systems for an extended period, I have to say they are real winners. I was stuck in bad traffic at one point where I only went 1 kilometre in 40 minutes. All that time was using e-Pedal and did it ever help to make the driving experience better.

I'll be positing my review on it soon on my YouTube show "The EV Revolution Show" as well on the Model 3 Owners Club Channel. If you've not yet subscribed to our new channel, I would encourage you to do so it interested.

I'll share much more info on my review, however I just felt I wanted to post this quick topic to those that may be on the fence or feel any negativity towards the Leaf due to the #rapidgate nonsense.

As an all-around practical all-Electric Vehicle (BEV), the 2018 Leaf certainly is a great car. If your interest is for long trips consistently where you will need multiple DCFC-ing, then look at something else. Plain and simple.
---------
New Leaf Owner: Just ordered Feb 24 2018, 2018 Leaf SL in Jade Frost. Expected ETA by May 30 2018.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: Recent experience with new Leaf - wow! :)

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:01 pm

kennethbokor wrote:I'll share much more info on my review, however I just felt I wanted to post this quick topic to those that may be on the fence or feel any negativity towards the Leaf due to the #rapidgate nonsense.

Your quick topic does absolutely nothing to explain why I should regard it as nonsense, so how could it quell such negative feelings?
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

ElectricEddy
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506

Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:42 pm

If it rains much in your area you may want to fashion a cap to put over the drivers side front strut as Nissan still hasn't fixed the leakage problem yet, at least not the brand new SL I looked at on the lot today. When I lifted the little access grill it was filled with water as one might expect, salesman wasn't impressed :cry:

viewtopic.php?t=21723
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

kennethbokor
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 May 2018

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 am

Nubo wrote:
kennethbokor wrote:I'll share much more info on my review, however I just felt I wanted to post this quick topic to those that may be on the fence or feel any negativity towards the Leaf due to the #rapidgate nonsense.

Your quick topic does absolutely nothing to explain why I should regard it as nonsense, so how could it quell such negative feelings?

Since the Leaf is programmed to operate the way it does via multiple DCFC-ing, it makes no sense to complain about it or wait for a "fix" which is not coming. As an example the e-Golf does the same thing. These throttle-downs are done on purpose so the whole issue is really nonsense.

If you still take issue then simply don't buy the 2018 Leaf. You have a choice and don't complain about what Nissan has done or not done, simply look at your options available thru multiple vendors and if you are in the market to purchase a BEV, then you have many choices.
---------
New Leaf Owner: Just ordered Feb 24 2018, 2018 Leaf SL in Jade Frost. Expected ETA by May 30 2018.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:45 am

kennethbokor wrote:If you still take issue then simply don't buy the 2018 Leaf.

Not everyone wants or needs a car that can take long journeys quickly. The Leaf is a fine commuter car, not ideal for 4x4 driving, long road trips at high speeds, or very hot places.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:00 pm

Given the longevity issue with the 30kwh pack, it would be foolish to just assume that the 40kwh version of it will be fine, and to cheerfully buy the car because you don't need multiple QCs. It will be a big enough risk just to lease the damned thing.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:19 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:Given the longevity issue with the 30kwh pack, it would be foolish to just assume that the 40kwh version of it will be fine, and to cheerfully buy the car because you don't need multiple QCs. It will be a big enough risk just to lease the damned thing.

Risks are that you will either get battery(s) replaced under warranty, or that the battery might just miss the warranty, or maybe even both. How bad are these risks to you? 100,000 miles and 8 years is as bad as it might get.

As I wrote years ago, battery degradation happens. Plan on it. Rely on less range than you can get after losing 4 bars.

Changing technology will open new doors and close old ones, speeding obsolescence, few takers for 286 computers these days.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

Evoforce
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015

Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:42 pm

The problem is when the generally uninformed public purchases a car expecting it to actually and reasonably work as close to an ice car as possible. This 2018 has some shortcomings that it should not have. These Nissan battery issues keep giving all EVs an undeserved bad rap. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that the 2019 Leaf will at least measure up to the current leaders in the industry and Nissan wil quit producing short lived batteries.
Last edited by Evoforce on Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:05 pm

WetEV wrote: Rely on less range than you can get after losing 4 bars.

Indeed, going by this rule is not only prudent but will prevent disappointment in the purchase.
The problem is that $30 - $35k is a lot of money for a 90 mile range car.

I get that range from my 24 kWh LEAF and it cost me $7k
More to the point though, the conservative range does not let me do anything in a 40 kWh LEAF I cannot do in my much cheaper car. They are both quite hobbled.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:33 pm

The problem is when the generally uninformed public purchases a car expecting it to actually and reasonably work as close to an ice car as possible.

Just expecting a 2018 Leaf to live up to its own advance PR is going to prove disappointing to many more savvy EV drivers. '150 mile range! 45 minute fast charge to 80%!' is looking more like "100 miles of real world range after two years. One fast QC per trip - after that plan on eating a leisurely dinner while you wait."
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”